Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-09-2015, 11:21 AM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(11-09-2015 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-09-2015 12:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PS. Drugs alter mood by and large by blocking neurochemicals, not by altering our mood at its source.

You are so dumb. My psycho pharmaceuticals work by modulating my neurotransmitters. For many people they need more serotonin, me I need more dopamine and less serotonin. You have no idea how psychiatric medication works. You have already claimed that psych meds are ineffective and it was pointed out that you are completely full of shit with zero qualifications to discuss this. And altering my neurotransmitter balances is altering my mood at the source because they are the fucking source of my mood. Stop embarrassing yourself. You are so dumb.

You and others are taking out of all proportion my comments regarding licensed pharmaceuticals. The efficacy of counseling and prayer has been demonstrated to be equal if not superior to mood-altering substances. Jesus--helps.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-09-2015, 11:32 AM
(16-09-2015 11:19 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(13-09-2015 02:38 PM)jabeady Wrote:  I don't know who said it first but, while I can't offer verifiable evidence that a particular paranormal claim is impossible, I *can* offer verifiable evidence why it should be impossible. Personally, since I argue more for the sake of the audience than for my correspondent, this approach seems to be more effective.

You can offer verifiable inductive evidence only. Even a natural law is a statement that many times it has been observed but there may be exceptions. Example: it is a natural law inductively observed that matter cannot be created, yet it was at the Big Bang/Genesis.

You apparently don't understand the Big Bang at all. The theory does not claim that matter was "created".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
16-09-2015, 11:34 AM
(16-09-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  The efficacy of counseling and prayer has been demonstrated to be equal if not superior to mood-altering substances.

Citation needed.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 3 users Like Unbeliever's post
18-09-2015, 02:57 PM
(16-09-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You are so dumb. My psycho pharmaceuticals work by modulating my neurotransmitters. For many people they need more serotonin, me I need more dopamine and less serotonin. You have no idea how psychiatric medication works. You have already claimed that psych meds are ineffective and it was pointed out that you are completely full of shit with zero qualifications to discuss this. And altering my neurotransmitter balances is altering my mood at the source because they are the fucking source of my mood. Stop embarrassing yourself. You are so dumb.

You and others are taking out of all proportion my comments regarding licensed pharmaceuticals. The efficacy of counseling and prayer has been demonstrated to be equal if not superior to mood-altering substances. Jesus--helps.

This is a good example of one of the dangers of religion; substituting real help for people with praying to Jesus.

I have over 20 years experience as a doctor, with a particular interest in helping people with serious mental issues. If I prayed with my patients, I would soon get a reputation as being incompetent and would have my licence to practise medicine suspended.

Religion is more often one of the causes of mental illness, not the solution for it.

Religion poisons everything.
[+] 5 users Like Mark Fulton's post
18-09-2015, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 18-09-2015 06:24 PM by The Organic Chemist.)
(09-09-2015 12:21 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  PS. Drugs alter mood by and large by blocking neurochemicals, not by altering our mood at its source.

Ummmmmmmm........no. Just no. Are you going for the mood-comes-from-the-soul angle here or something?

Edit: Look up what agonists and antagonists are.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
18-09-2015, 04:49 PM
(16-09-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(11-09-2015 07:09 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  You are so dumb. My psycho pharmaceuticals work by modulating my neurotransmitters. For many people they need more serotonin, me I need more dopamine and less serotonin. You have no idea how psychiatric medication works. You have already claimed that psych meds are ineffective and it was pointed out that you are completely full of shit with zero qualifications to discuss this. And altering my neurotransmitter balances is altering my mood at the source because they are the fucking source of my mood. Stop embarrassing yourself. You are so dumb.

Wrong again. And once more, you don't provide any evidence.

Most of what you think you know is wrong, yet you keep embarrassing yourself with your ridiculous claims.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-09-2015, 03:09 PM
(16-09-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You and others are taking out of all proportion my comments regarding licensed pharmaceuticals. The efficacy of counseling and prayer has been demonstrated to be equal if not superior to mood-altering substances. Jesus--helps.
No counseling helps you fucking muppet.

[Image: 492012211119fsgdf.gif]

It is held that valour is the chiefest virtue and most dignifies the haver.
[+] 5 users Like WhiskeyDebates's post
21-09-2015, 09:32 AM
(16-09-2015 11:21 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You and others are taking out of all proportion my comments regarding licensed pharmaceuticals. The efficacy of counseling and prayer has been demonstrated to be equal if not superior to mood-altering substances. Jesus--helps.

How can you possibly separate the effect of "Jesus" from something like confirmation bias? Your brain is set up in such a way that every time you convince yourself you are right, it releases happy drugs. This is something we know and can measure. There is nothing indicating the existence of Jesus, let alone him having any kind of tangible effect on the really real world.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
22-09-2015, 09:58 AM
(18-09-2015 02:57 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  

This is a good example of one of the dangers of religion; substituting real help for people with praying to Jesus.

I have over 20 years experience as a doctor, with a particular interest in helping people with serious mental issues. If I prayed with my patients, I would soon get a reputation as being incompetent and would have my licence to practise medicine suspended.

Religion is more often one of the causes of mental illness, not the solution for it.

Religion poisons everything.

How do your Christian patients respond to your advice not to pray to get well because praying to get well "poisons everything"?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
22-09-2015, 09:59 AM
(21-09-2015 09:32 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

How can you possibly separate the effect of "Jesus" from something like confirmation bias? Your brain is set up in such a way that every time you convince yourself you are right, it releases happy drugs. This is something we know and can measure. There is nothing indicating the existence of Jesus, let alone him having any kind of tangible effect on the really real world.

How can you possibly separate the effect of only believing in empirical evidence, and then using only empirical evidence to verify the absolute truth of empiricism, from confirmatory bias? Again, Robby, be consistent.