Nick Seldon - A Quotation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-07-2015, 01:28 PM
RE: Nick Seldon - A Quotation
(22-07-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Imperfection is "sin". Sin is "imperfection".

So using this assumption. We can come to the conclusion since the bible is imperfect, the Bible is Sinful? Why would you adhere to a sinful book? Or why would we what to read such a thing?

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
23-07-2015, 08:00 AM
(22-07-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  2) Imperfection is "sin". Sin is "imperfection".

By that logic, then god is also sinful since he made man imperfect to begin with. If we were perfect creations, Adam and Eve would have known right from wrong and had the knowledge to know that. Additionally, if it was perfect, god wouldn't have regretted it later seeing as how a perfect being would have to know what would happen. Showing remorse is a sign of imperfection.

(22-07-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  3) Jesus came and died and rose to cover our imperfection. Trust in His death and resurrection and you're set as far as that goes.

Jesus also did not honor his mother when he basically disowned her by what he said in Matthew 12 and Luke 8 regarding who his family is. And it is a total cop-out to say that he was god so he can do what he wants.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
23-07-2015, 08:40 AM
(13-07-2015 01:35 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  "If you want divine justice, die." - Nick Seldon

"We already played 'Babble Like an Idiot'." - Spongebob Squarepants

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
23-07-2015, 09:40 AM
(22-07-2015 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are underestimating by a huge amount when you say 1% gaps and 99% smoking gun scientific evidence. You are helped in this construction by modern scientists. Unfortunately or fortunately, that is no excuse for avoiding the gospel:

1) Even if it's 1% error, no one is perfect.

Tautology.

Quote:2) Imperfection is "sin". Sin is "imperfection".

So a mutation is sinful? Consider

Quote:3) Jesus came and died and rose to cover our imperfection. Trust in His death and resurrection and you're set as far as that goes.

You'll need to provide some actual evidence for that; you have not done so as yet.

Human behavior regarding personal imperfection is sin.

I have provided evidence for Jesus Christ in fields such as cosmology, prophecy, life changes, history, etc. - I might as well be Copernicus talking about the Sun and Earth with the "local crowd" at TTA. I've tried.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-07-2015, 09:42 AM
(23-07-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Tautology.

You'll need to provide some actual evidence for that; you have not done so as yet.

I have provided evidence for Jesus Christ in fields such as cosmology, prophecy, life changes, history, etc. - I might as well be Copernicus talking about the Sun and Earth with the "local crowd" at TTA. I've tried.

What you think is evidence has been rejected as not meeting any reasonable standard of evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
23-07-2015, 09:42 AM
(22-07-2015 12:05 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 10:52 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  You are underestimating by a huge amount when you say 1% gaps and 99% smoking gun scientific evidence. You are helped in this construction by modern scientists. Unfortunately or fortunately, that is no excuse for avoiding the gospel:

1) Even if it's 1% error, no one is perfect.

2) Imperfection is "sin". Sin is "imperfection".

3) Jesus came and died and rose to cover our imperfection. Trust in His death and resurrection and you're set as far as that goes.

I am helped in having this conversation with you via computer/internet by modern scientists, as well. So, if that was intended as a slight against science, it's not a very good one.

As for the sin=imperfection argument, your God is a dick. It is clear that we are evolved animals. I'm sorry you don't like that fact, but it's a fact. For whatever "gaps" that remain in our origins knowledge, we have that one down really, really solidly. (I'd like to pause here a moment to contemplate my own very-mammalian nipples, penis, and bellybutton.) So to say then that we are to be held accountable for our natural heritage's "imperfection" and that in order to be "saved" from this factor, which I'd never heard about until a religious cleric/adherent told me about it, I need to believe in their particular religion about a god that became a half-human and then was blood-sacrificed on behalf of my imperfections, because apparently his father-deity couldn't simply say, "Nope, I love you just the way you are. All of it, even the imperfections." To move from that to torment in eternity for not thinking the priest/adherents and their particular holy book (out of thousands) made a coherent argument, let alone a decent argument, is insane! If that is indeed the nature of your Deity, then I would not worship it because I am a moral person and that is deeply immoral.

Maybe you could also take time to contemplate how we "evolved" as humans to be interested in sexual activity year-round, not just for gestation but for pleasure--and then perhaps you might evolve to be grateful. Thumbsup

PS. What is "deeply immoral" is standing in front of the gates of life with a TTA sword to bar entry to others.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
23-07-2015, 09:43 AM
(23-07-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(22-07-2015 11:27 AM)Chas Wrote:  Tautology.

You mean the guy contrasting a view that has been held hardly questioned for over thousands of years? Yeah that's exactly you.

You lack empirical evidence, it's clear to anyone who understands how empirical evidences suggests knowledge of certain events. That you would include "life changes" as a element to suggest this shows how far off you are from understanding this.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-07-2015, 09:44 AM
(22-07-2015 01:15 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(21-07-2015 07:38 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

I'm aware of some of the latest ideas regarding transitory forms and amphibian evolution. I have my "fingers out of my ears" because I hear y'all saying it's a done deal rather than "there are some gaps in the processes that reasonably, we are yet unsure how they evolved/adapted". That would be a more honest statement.

Ok, so if i'm understanding this correctly. You understand that evolution is occurring.

Now let's apply this understanding to other aspects that you've adhered to.

I still think we'll get threw your thick skull eventually Q. I don't think you would come back to a place so often, just to be mocked and ridiculed all the time.

Perhaps your under the disillusion your changing minds here, or you win debates more then you loose. Or perhaps you like hearing contradictory thoughts. If you're involved in your church as much as you say. Maybe hearing the same unthinking agreements among your pers is boring to you. I don't know.

Let me see if we can find some common ground. Something I feel we both could look at with mutual criticisms.

Scientology.

Now replace their accusations of crimes with sins. They're trying to force confessions, make the person feel minuscule. Harass them because they are the opposition, they feel they need to demonstrate anything, and need to take their word on it. Only people in the group have the true understanding. They change subjects rapidly or never asking more then one question. They push their book Dianetics and say it contains all the answers one seeks.

They hold L. Ron Hubbard to being their Messiah.

They're more of these type of in your face, video's on XenuTV.

I highly recommend looking deeper into this group. HBO just had a documentary special on them not to long ago. I honestly would like to hear your option on this matter. And what avenues you use to discredit, or rule out this "religion".

You would honestly like to hear my opinion on Scientology? I read two books on the religion last year, one was Going Clear on which HBO based their "report". Scientology is wacked-out nonsense that L. Ron Hubbard promulgated to make a lot of money. Then as he aged he started drinking his own Kool-Aid and auditing himself many times a day! Ironic, I think--L. Ron was heavy into the occult, even trying to make an antichrist just before Scientology "hit". Wow.

23-07-2015, 09:46 AM
(23-07-2015 09:42 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Human behavior regarding personal imperfection is sin.

What you think is evidence has been rejected as not meeting any reasonable standard of evidence.

I'm afraid you are not therefore without guilt--you never lifted a finger to test or read or review my evidence. There were times I cited 5,000-word arguments only to hear "No, we can't trust (read, look at, consider) THAT site, it's written by fundamentalists."

PLEASE, PLEASE never take the Bar or become a judge. Your biases are showing!

23-07-2015, 09:47 AM
(23-07-2015 09:43 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(23-07-2015 09:40 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Human behavior regarding personal imperfection is sin.

You mean the guy contrasting a view that has been held hardly questioned for over thousands of years? Yeah that's exactly you.

You lack empirical evidence, it's clear to anyone who understands how empirical evidences suggests knowledge of certain events. That you would include "life changes" as a element to suggest this shows how far off you are from understanding this.

At the risk of sounding cliché:

atheist > foxhole > life changes, for good or for bad

person > atheist > TTA > life changes, for good or for bad

person > Bible study > life changes, for good or for bad

person > death > judgment as good or bad