Nicotine withdrawal rant

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2015, 03:58 PM
RE: Nicotine withdrawal rant
(04-09-2015 03:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I've done it thousands of times." -- Mark Twain

Addiction. Yup. Been there, done that - got the t-shirt, the mug, the mousepad, the hat, ect, ect..

1. I quit smoking pot -- that was easy.
2. I quit snorting meth - that was tougher.
3. I quit gnawing on my fingernails - that wasn't hard - after did #2.
4. I quit smoking cigarettes - and yeah - it was a gold plated son of a bitch.

There's a couple of problems with quitting cigarettes --- they're fucking EVERYWHERE. It's not as bad as it used to be though. When I was in High School - they actually had a vending machine with cigarettes. (ostensibly for teachers only). You're not too likely to go to jail for having a butt - (barring TSA maniacs at airports).

I used nicotine gum to quit. I think it works a bit better - Pavlovian wise. One of the problems with smoking cigarettes is it gives you something to do with your hands - and when you quit -- short of taking up public masturbation -- or staying home and not having a social life, the psychological dependency makes it tough to "not have something to do" in dull moments......

The gum, you can use most anywhere.

As I see it -- e-cigs prolong the agony --- because you've still got the "satisfaction" of fondling something while getting your nicotine fix.

But shit -- -whatever works..... I do know that I've heard more than one person complain about throat problems from excessive e-cigs - and it makes sense.... It's not a natural thing to be sticking down your lungs.........

Good luck, and the trick -- is to keep quitting.....

Eventually, it takes hold....

Freshman year in high school we had a cigarette vending machine in the cafeteria and they $0.85 a pack, which was cheaper than the local 7/11 that sold them for a dollar.

We could smoke outdoors only and everyone took out a smoke (and lighter) to have ready for the walk between classes.

I called college, high school with ashtrays, because we could smoke inside the cafeteria and inside the dorm rooms. Yes even some classes allowed smoking during class.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2015, 04:06 PM
(04-09-2015 03:58 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 03:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I've done it thousands of times." -- Mark Twain

Addiction. Yup. Been there, done that - got the t-shirt, the mug, the mousepad, the hat, ect, ect..

1. I quit smoking pot -- that was easy.
2. I quit snorting meth - that was tougher.
3. I quit gnawing on my fingernails - that wasn't hard - after did #2.
4. I quit smoking cigarettes - and yeah - it was a gold plated son of a bitch.

There's a couple of problems with quitting cigarettes --- they're fucking EVERYWHERE. It's not as bad as it used to be though. When I was in High School - they actually had a vending machine with cigarettes. (ostensibly for teachers only). You're not too likely to go to jail for having a butt - (barring TSA maniacs at airports).

I used nicotine gum to quit. I think it works a bit better - Pavlovian wise. One of the problems with smoking cigarettes is it gives you something to do with your hands - and when you quit -- short of taking up public masturbation -- or staying home and not having a social life, the psychological dependency makes it tough to "not have something to do" in dull moments......

The gum, you can use most anywhere.

As I see it -- e-cigs prolong the agony --- because you've still got the "satisfaction" of fondling something while getting your nicotine fix.

But shit -- -whatever works..... I do know that I've heard more than one person complain about throat problems from excessive e-cigs - and it makes sense.... It's not a natural thing to be sticking down your lungs.........

Good luck, and the trick -- is to keep quitting.....

Eventually, it takes hold....

Freshman year in high school we had a cigarette vending machine in the cafeteria and they $0.85 a pack, which was cheaper than the local 7/11 that sold them for a dollar.

We could smoke outdoors only and everyone took out a smoke (and lighter) to have ready for the walk between classes.

I called college, high school with ashtrays, because we could smoke inside the cafeteria and inside the dorm rooms. Yes even some classes allowed smoking during class.

Judging by the price of a pack of butts, I guess we must be about the same age....

Of course, I'm a guy, so I'm older and not as good looking....

Big Grin

that's how it works, don'tcha know??

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
04-09-2015, 05:58 PM
(04-09-2015 08:55 AM)adey67 Wrote:  I'm trying to quit smoking and withdrawal is fierce. I'm surfing like a bitch to take my mind of the cigarette's with limited success. I'm hungry all the time and eating anything and everything. I want to kill everyone I see and am thoroughly objectionable and wonder if its worthwhile doing this. I have an e cigarette which helps but its still horribly difficult. That's my rant. Has anyone else been through this and how long am I likely to feel like this?

Been there, done that...

20+ years smoker, 2 packs a day.

First, trow that e cig away, it's not helping you in any way.

Symptoms of nicotine withdrawal are just similar to hunger , you are not really hungry at all.
Nicotine is out of your system in just a few days, everything beyond that is just in your head.

What's your deal?

Helps when you are nervous? Helps you to concentrate? Feels great after a meal? With coffee ? Beer is better with a cigarette?

It does none of those things and beer tastes much better without it.

There is only one thing you need to know:

You are not missing out on anything by not smoking, it is quite the opposite.
You think that something is taken away from you and that's why you are angry, again, it's quite the opposite.

Having the "will power" to stop smoking is wrong and unnecessary , just makes you want it more and makes you suffer.

You just need to realize

You don't need it

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
04-09-2015, 06:44 PM
(04-09-2015 05:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:   You don't need it

Nicotine might actually qualify as a nootropic and may delay the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's. Inhaling the the tars and shit are obviously a very bad idea, Ima gonna keep chewing the gum. Tongue Not sure about long term e-cigs use but it's gotta be safer than cigs 'cause there ain't no tars and carcinogens.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
05-09-2015, 02:10 AM
(04-09-2015 06:44 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(04-09-2015 05:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:   You don't need it

Nicotine might actually qualify as a nootropic and may delay the onset of dementia and Alzheimer's. Inhaling the the tars and shit are obviously a very bad idea, Ima gonna keep chewing the gum. Tongue Not sure about long term e-cigs use but it's gotta be safer than cigs 'cause there ain't no tars and carcinogens.
Absolutely right I could not do this without the e cig they'll have to prise it out of my cold dead hands apparently they are 95 % less harmful than cigarettes.
05-09-2015, 04:32 AM
Day two and so far I'm not feeling too bad. A big thank you to everyone who has responded to my ranting many of the suggestions have been hugely helpful, since joining TTA I have received more support, help, kindness forgiveness and understanding than before I came away from religion and all of it with no ulterior motive or strings attached, a hug to you all Adey x
[+] 1 user Likes adey67's post
05-09-2015, 05:52 AM
(05-09-2015 04:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Day two and so far I'm not feeling too bad. A big thank you to everyone who has responded to my ranting many of the suggestions have been hugely helpful, since joining TTA I have received more support, help, kindness forgiveness and understanding than before I came away from religion and all of it with no ulterior motive or strings attached, a hug to you all Adey x

How long had you smoked? It's odd - but I've noticed that the longer a person smokes - it seems the physical withdrawal is less and the psychological withdrawal is greater. A person who's a more recent smoker - the physical is worse and the psychological is less. It's just something I've noticed about people who've quit --- and not any "hard data".

I'm just going to throw out a guess here and say you smoked less than 3 years?

I smoked on and off (more on) for close to 40 years. The physical withdrawal wasn't bad -- but I STILL get intense cravings from time to time. I miss a cigarette the most - when I'm working on something and get stuck on a problem and need to sit back and think about it.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
05-09-2015, 06:35 AM
(05-09-2015 05:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 04:32 AM)adey67 Wrote:  Day two and so far I'm not feeling too bad. A big thank you to everyone who has responded to my ranting many of the suggestions have been hugely helpful, since joining TTA I have received more support, help, kindness forgiveness and understanding than before I came away from religion and all of it with no ulterior motive or strings attached, a hug to you all Adey x

How long had you smoked? It's odd - but I've noticed that the longer a person smokes - it seems the physical withdrawal is less and the psychological withdrawal is greater. A person who's a more recent smoker - the physical is worse and the psychological is less. It's just something I've noticed about people who've quit --- and not any "hard data".

I smoked on and off (more on) for close to 40 years. The physical withdrawal wasn't bad -- but I STILL get intense cravings from time to time. I miss a cigarette the most - when I'm working on something and get stuck on a problem and need to sit back and think about it.
I've been smoking for 30 years and for me the physical and psychological cravings are quite intense however that's not to say your theory is not valid I think it has a lot of merit and definitely the psychological cravings do get worse the longer you smoke.
05-09-2015, 06:38 AM
(05-09-2015 06:35 AM)adey67 Wrote:  
(05-09-2015 05:52 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  How long had you smoked? It's odd - but I've noticed that the longer a person smokes - it seems the physical withdrawal is less and the psychological withdrawal is greater. A person who's a more recent smoker - the physical is worse and the psychological is less. It's just something I've noticed about people who've quit --- and not any "hard data".

I've been smoking for 30 years and for me the physical and psychological cravings are quite intense however that's not to say your theory is not valid I think it has a lot of merit and definitely the psychological cravings do get worse the longer you smoke.
Guess that proves it -- everybody's different. Big Grin

I didn't get any of the "classic" withdrawal symptoms any time I quit. I just get cravings for a smoke that come out of nowhere -- that fade off....

Smoking is definitely one odd little monkey to get off your back.

05-09-2015, 07:14 AM
E cigs going on 5 1/2 years here. My problem was more "what do I do with my hands?" and something to do while I stop for a moment to think. Not a gum chewer, patches didn't seem to fill the bill.

For a while I tried e cigs during the day and treated myself to 2 real cigs at night. Then came the morning when I saw 12 butts in the ashtray, told myself I was being a jackass, and ditched all the real cigs.

I saved money, I feel better, I smell better, hubby isn't getting the migraines he blamed on *my* smoking (but never his smoking when he did) -- win/win.

You can do it. Mind over matter and all that!

Hug

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?