Nietzsche And The Death of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 04:33 AM
RE: Nietzsche And The Death of God
(12-07-2016 09:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(12-07-2016 12:37 PM)julep Wrote:  I doubt that the number of people so affected by the death of God would be as high as Nietzsche seems to think, though.

I don't recall him implying any such thing. Do you have a reference I may have forgotten?

My reading of the parable is that Nietzsche considers that madman's terrified response to the death of god is the one to be expected (so the word "madman" is ironic, the madman is sane and reacting to reality). To me, the parable implies the average person can't handle the idea of no god without going crazy, and that's a position I find condescending and plain wrong. But I'm not a fan of Nietzsche or a Nietzsche scholar, so I could just be reading the passage with a jaundiced eye and coming to the wrong conclusion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2016, 04:41 AM
RE: Nietzsche And The Death of God
(12-07-2016 01:37 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-06-2016 02:30 AM)SunButt Wrote:  I have a quick question for all of those who have read at least a sliver of Nietzsche and know the Parable of the Madman.

Do you believe that people could behave rationally in the face of the death of a God, if such an event were to occur? Give it a go!

They already do. In 2016, the 3 letter meme pronounced "gawd" no longer means what it did 100 years ago. That idea *IS* dead.

You think people behave rationally now ?
Facepalm

People, rational????

Most people are about as rational as a billy goat on PCP with a taser lodged in it's butt....................

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post