Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's.
Has anyone else read this ebook?

Why Atheism Will Replace Religion: The triumph of earthly pleasures over pie in the sky [Kindle Edition]

nigel barber

http://www.amazon.com/Atheism-Will-Repla...00886ZSJ6/

Barber padded this ebook so it repeats itself, but he presents a lot of interesting information and analysis, and I consider the $3.99 price reasonable.

I've waited around for a godless world for nearly 40 years now, and I turn 80 in 2039, so I might live long enough to compare Barber's forecast against the real religious situation in that decade. The "Jesus who?" era can't arrive fast enough to suit me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like advancedatheist's post
23-06-2012, 02:41 PM
RE: Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's.
I can only hope he's right, but I think that in less than 3 decades, we won't even be close.
23-06-2012, 03:14 PM
(23-06-2012 02:41 PM)DannyW Wrote:  I can only hope he's right, but I think that in less than 3 decades, we won't even be close.

I don't like leaving things to the haphazard whenever possible. How can we speed up this atheizing process as "insurance"?

Of course a godless world won't solve all the problems now attributed to religious beliefs. I think atheists have overstated the influence of religion on men's sexual frustrations, for example. Women find most men sexually yucky and don't want to put out for them regardless of religious prohibitions, or the absence thereof, on extramarital sexual adventures. I feel sorry for the young guys in christian homes who hear their preachers denounce atheists because we allegedly get all this swinging sex ("the works of the flesh"), interpret that as a selling point for atheism, and then decide to become atheists themselves to try to cash in on this promise of sexual fulfillment. Imagine these newly minted atheists' surprise when they go to atheist conferences, meet godless chicks and discover that the women don't want to go along with their preachers' script about atheists' sex lives. Indeed these women now complain about sexual harassment from atheist men at these conferences.
23-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately, there will probably always be gullible people who like to gather together with other gullible people and give their money away.

We will probably always have gods in some form or another because there is money to be made from the gullible.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
23-06-2012, 05:47 PM
Religion like many volatile substances has a half-life, it won’t ever go completely (unfortunately) but it will hopefully diminish to a point where it can do little harm.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
23-06-2012, 06:28 PM
I don't see it happening that soon without major cultural shifts, especially regarding education.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-06-2012, 06:44 PM
(23-06-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't see it happening that soon without major cultural shifts, especially regarding education.

It all depends on how today's teenagers turn out... and they are atheist in ever increasing numbers.

Prime time TV is also increasingly atheist, especially comedies.

The internet allows teens to access so much info, it would be surprising if there would not be a good percentage gaining some understanding...

I doubt the older generation will change.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-06-2012, 07:04 PM
(23-06-2012 06:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't see it happening that soon without major cultural shifts, especially regarding education.

It all depends on how today's teenagers turn out... and they are atheist in ever increasing numbers.

Prime time TV is also increasingly atheist, especially comedies.

The internet allows teens to access so much info, it would be surprising if there would not be a good percentage gaining some understanding...

I doubt the older generation will change.
Agree with all of the above for North America and Europe, but that may not be true in large parts of the world.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2012, 09:27 PM
1 - Pandora's box. Memes, like genes, never really go away. Even if an idea's not being expressed, it's still in the memepool.

2 - Barber should ask Ehrlich how making predictions works out for you.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
24-06-2012, 01:14 AM
(23-06-2012 05:47 PM)Karl Wrote:  Religion like many volatile substances has a half-life, it won’t ever go completely (unfortunately) but it will hopefully diminish to a point where it can do little harm.

You mean, ignore it and it will go away?
Sounds like the Church of England.

So the answer is de-separate church and state.
I suspect that, given the notes in the article about the ex-communist countries, religious declarations will rise.
Education and awareness is everything.... get out there are preach the non-word.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science Mozart Link 184 4,024 21-07-2014 12:54 AM
Last Post: mayanlongcount@yahoo.com
  'Revelation'...It's Happening Right Now! The World Is Going To End Any Day Now! WindyCityJazz 42 1,269 07-06-2014 10:32 PM
Last Post: UndercoverAtheist
  [split] The Perfect Ideal World Created By Science Jeremy E Walker 14 265 04-06-2014 06:46 PM
Last Post: cjlr
  The argument from evil proves that the world is horrible? WimpyPete 145 2,018 20-05-2014 02:38 PM
Last Post: WimpyPete
  Save The World From Mormonism elconquistador 18 316 29-04-2014 07:19 AM
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Isn't the world of Jack Chick Beautiful? Plan 9 from OS 8 142 22-04-2014 10:08 AM
Last Post: Impulse
  World Religions Quiz Full Circle 15 233 21-04-2014 06:59 AM
Last Post: Full Circle