Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2012, 09:01 AM
RE: Nigel Barber predicts an atheistic world by the 2030's.
(23-06-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't see it happening that soon without major cultural shifts, especially regarding education.
The evidence suggests that it doesn't seem to depend that much on education, however. Even relatively uneducated people in social-democratic countries have lost interest in religion because they have a safety cocoon which protects them from most survival threats.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2012, 09:08 AM
Oh, and one thing this Barber guy isn't taking into consideration... Even if he's right and affluence leads inexorably to Atheism, the VAST MAJORITY of the world lives in abject poverty. Billions of people don't have electricity. So I'm sure the view is rosy from his ivory tower, but he needs to get out more.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
24-06-2012, 09:12 AM
(24-06-2012 09:08 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Oh, and one thing this Barber guy isn't taking into consideration... Even if he's right and affluence leads inexorably to Atheism, the VAST MAJORITY of the world lives in abject poverty. Billions of people don't have electricity. So I'm sure the view is rosy from his ivory tower, but he needs to get out more.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Barber points out that it takes surprisingly little per capita GDP to cause religious belief to decline in a society. Apparently you reach the tipping point around $10,000/year.
24-06-2012, 02:30 PM
(24-06-2012 09:01 AM)advancedatheist Wrote:  
(23-06-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  I don't see it happening that soon without major cultural shifts, especially regarding education.
The evidence suggests that it doesn't seem to depend that much on education, however. Even relatively uneducated people in social-democratic countries have lost interest in religion because they have a safety cocoon which protects them from most survival threats.
Look a little more closely at that. Those countries have excellent, non-religious, public education. Everyone there has a reasonable education.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-06-2012, 05:58 AM
(23-06-2012 03:14 PM)advancedatheist Wrote:  Imagine these newly minted atheists' surprise when they go to atheist conferences, meet godless chicks and discover that the women don't want to go along with their preachers' script about atheists' sex lives. Indeed these women now complain about sexual harassment from atheist men at these conferences.
Actually, in my experience, the loosest women in the world are preacher's daughters and girls from VERY strict homes. When they get to college... Shocking

[Image: 553193_635722216633_1026343474_n.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes Science Believer's post