Nigeria – Violence Against Persons Prohibition Bill Becomes Law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2015, 12:49 AM
RE: Nigeria – Violence Against Persons Prohibition Bill Becomes Law
Sometimes laws are like a vision statement.

It's easier to be an activist when the law (even if just in theory) is on your side.

Thanks for posting it, Dom.

Thumbsup

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
07-07-2015, 01:17 AM
(06-07-2015 06:13 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 02:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  Well... legal framework isn't all there is to it. Gotta be the political will to follow through too, otherwise paper tigers...
That just about sums up Africa. Laws don't mean jerk in that part of the world.

Actually some countries are starting to get it right. Laws do mean something in some places, and as society moves forward more solid governance is becoming established... but it's a very slow process. Mainly I think because the average man/woman on the street isn't helluva educated and is easily susceptible to demagoguery and mob rule, a fact which is routinely exploited by unscrupulous politicians.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
07-07-2015, 07:25 AM
(07-07-2015 01:17 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-07-2015 06:13 PM)tomilay Wrote:  That just about sums up Africa. Laws don't mean jerk in that part of the world.

Actually some countries are starting to get it right. Laws do mean something in some places, and as society moves forward more solid governance is becoming established... but it's a very slow process. Mainly I think because the average man/woman on the street isn't helluva educated and is easily susceptible to demagoguery and mob rule, a fact which is routinely exploited by unscrupulous politicians.
I agree there are countries there where the laws count for something. Botswana for one is admirable in that respect. But it has never had a female genital mutilation problem to begin with.

The places where FGM is a problem are in the zone where the whims of the corrupt and powerful trump the written law.

The resources that could help the situation will basically be stolen and that will be the end of it. It's the truth.

I think the leaders Africa has reflect what the man on the street wants. Including educated ones.

There is almost a deliberate effort at defiance against logic in the way Africans choose their leaders. I gather for instance that Mugabe is very popular in Zimbabwe.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
07-07-2015, 08:12 AM
(07-07-2015 07:25 AM)tomilay Wrote:  There is almost a deliberate effort at defiance against logic in the way Africans choose their leaders. I gather for instance that Mugabe is very popular in Zimbabwe.

He hangs onto power, ergo he has at least enough support to do that. But he's useful to a lot of people which is why they keep him. He'd die in a second if he stopped being useful. He's not that popular that I know. Pretty much everyone I've talked to over there just wants him to fuck off and hopefully not leave too much violence in his wake, 'cos when he goes shit's gonna hit the fan big time. All the factions who're currently jockeying for the top spot when he goes are gonna close in like a pack of hyaenas.

Choose our leaders? Where the fuck do you think this is? Europe? Dodgy

(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
07-07-2015, 08:33 AM
You know who's in favor of FGM???

Tiny peckered men, who're such assholes that no woman would willingly have sex with them, let alone stay with them.....

That's who.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-07-2015, 09:11 AM
(07-07-2015 08:12 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 07:25 AM)tomilay Wrote:  There is almost a deliberate effort at defiance against logic in the way Africans choose their leaders. I gather for instance that Mugabe is very popular in Zimbabwe.

He hangs onto power, ergo he has at least enough support to do that. But he's useful to a lot of people which is why they keep him. He'd die in a second if he stopped being useful. He's not that popular that I know. Pretty much everyone I've talked to over there just wants him to fuck off and hopefully not leave too much violence in his wake, 'cos when he goes shit's gonna hit the fan big time. All the factions who're currently jockeying for the top spot when he goes are gonna close in like a pack of hyaenas.

Choose our leaders? Where the fuck do you think this is? Europe? Dodgy
Yes. Enough support from people who have watched him preside over the transition from a breadbasket to a basket case. Making many of their compatriots flee the country as refugees. Even rigging needs a seed to work with.

How about South Africa? Jacob Zuma, publicly broke the law a few weeks ago, by ignoring a court order. He is presiding over a kleptocracy that would make Mobutu blush. The country is on autopilot. Why do people still give him landslide victories?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
07-07-2015, 11:26 AM
(07-07-2015 09:11 AM)tomilay Wrote:  How about South Africa? Jacob Zuma, publicly broke the law a few weeks ago, by ignoring a court order. He is presiding over a kleptocracy that would make Mobutu blush. The country is on autopilot. Why do people still give him landslide victories?

ANC are a bunch of heavies who've tasted power and like it. How easy exactly do you think it is to kick them out? Trade Unions? COSATU is in their pocket. SA Communist Party is a joke. And the DA, like it or not, deserved or not, are seen as the White Party - White's being the guys who did the apartheid thing. Or you can short-circuit the whole damn democratic exercise and lead a mob.

Zuma has deliberately weakened a lot of the machinery of state - abusing his presidential appointment powers to put his people in key government positions, replacing judges he doesn't like, firing people who are a threat. He's a snake.

At the same time he's a populist politician. Do I really have to spell it out to you? People give him ballot box victories 'cos he's damn good at deceiving a large part of the population a lot of the time. Why did Berlusconi consistently win in Italy? His boyish good looks? All the Italians knew he was as crooked as a spiral staircase too.

08-07-2015, 01:12 AM
How long have they been a country and this wasn't already a law?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
08-07-2015, 01:13 AM
(07-07-2015 08:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You know who's in favor of FGM???

Tiny peckered men, who're such assholes that no woman would willingly have sex with them, let alone stay with them.....

That's who.

Are you mentally deficient? You think most people here don't already think that? FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Truth seeker.
08-07-2015, 01:25 AM
(08-07-2015 01:13 AM)diddo97 Wrote:  
(07-07-2015 08:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  You know who's in favor of FGM???

That's who.

Are you mentally deficient? You think most people here don't already think that? FacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalmFacepalm

Fuck off troll Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post