Nightmare that made me think

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2014, 04:07 AM
Nightmare that made me think
I had a dream that Satan was after me. Supernatural things were happening and I couldn't bring myself to believe that it was indeed Satan, until I saw it was also affecting others and not just me.

Then my very religious aunt called me and asked me if anything was happening to me too, and she told me to pray, hold crosses etc. I tried praying and it worked for a moment, until Satan himself appeared and nothing worked on him and I was so scared I forced myself to wake up.

OK, Van Helsing was on TV the other day and it was all crosses and stuff (there were similar images in my dream), but when I woke up, I felt that if what happened in my dream happened in real life, I'd probably do the same thing. It's been about an hour since I woke up and that thought is kind of fading, but it felt quite reasonable to do it in my dream. All the signs led to Satan, the weird creatures I saw were hurt by crosses and the prayer kind of worked.

I think the turning point in my dream where I stopped thinking that I was simply hallucinating or that everything was just my imagination, was when I saw my mother having something like a seizure, and then I knew I had to do something about it.

So, when I woke up, I thought to myself, what would it take for me to resort to prayer? I hate to confirm the classic Christian "you'll turn to God", but what would you guys do if you actually saw all that?

For those who skipped through it, everything I just described happened in a dream.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2014, 04:34 AM
RE: Nightmare that made me think
This is all due to indoctrination and suggestion based on fear. I am sorry to hear that your subconcious is still struggeling so much with the fear that was instilled into you as a little child.

My rational is not based on dreams and hallucinations. If I had such a dream, I would just discard it as such and remember all the good reasons why I was able to rid myself of all the wrong beliefs and superstitions that I was indoctrinated with.

If God would want to give me a clear sign that I was on the wrong path, he would know me as a reasonable person and would seek to give me sufficient evidence to convince me of my fault. He would know that dreams are no way to convince me. But if there was truly a God who despite knowing my nature would attempt to alert me in futile and unproductive ways, I would have to doubt his intentions...

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 1 user Likes Youkay's post
06-07-2014, 05:20 AM
(06-07-2014 04:34 AM)Youkay Wrote:  This is all due to indoctrination and suggestion based on fear. I am sorry to hear that your subconcious is still struggeling so much with the fear that was instilled into you as a little child.

My rational is not based on dreams and hallucinations. If I had such a dream, I would just discard it as such and remember all the good reasons why I was able to rid myself of all the wrong beliefs and superstitions that I was indoctrinated with.

If God would want to give me a clear sign that I was on the wrong path, he would know me as a reasonable person and would seek to give me sufficient evidence to convince me of my fault. He would know that dreams are no way to convince me. But if there was truly a God who despite knowing my nature would attempt to alert me in futile and unproductive ways, I would have to doubt his intentions...

I didn't mean I was re-thinking religion after that dream Tongue

It just made me wonder how I would react if something like that actually happened and yes, I know it won't happen. Maybe this should have been in the philosophy section? Rolleyes

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
06-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Oh, so you mean what if it really happened? Like not in a dream but in reality with Satan chasing you and supernatural things happening?

If that's the case, well then my whole compass on determining truth would completely fall apart. When I receive the call from my aunt, how should I know it's really her and not a demon impersonating her? Trying to trick me into some weird shit? While I am running, why would I think that running away would carry me away from Satan? After all, all the natural laws that we know have been violated and I might just as well run in a circle that looks linear and running TOWARDS Satan.

Simply put, a world which allows for the supernatural violating the natural, everything is possible and nothing can be predicted.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
[+] 2 users Like Youkay's post
06-07-2014, 07:40 AM
(06-07-2014 04:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I had a dream that Satan was after me. Supernatural things were happening and I couldn't bring myself to believe that it was indeed Satan, until I saw it was also affecting others and not just me.

Then my very religious aunt called me and asked me if anything was happening to me too, and she told me to pray, hold crosses etc. I tried praying and it worked for a moment, until Satan himself appeared and nothing worked on him and I was so scared I forced myself to wake up.

OK, Van Helsing was on TV the other day and it was all crosses and stuff (there were similar images in my dream), but when I woke up, I felt that if what happened in my dream happened in real life, I'd probably do the same thing. It's been about an hour since I woke up and that thought is kind of fading, but it felt quite reasonable to do it in my dream. All the signs led to Satan, the weird creatures I saw were hurt by crosses and the prayer kind of worked.

I think the turning point in my dream where I stopped thinking that I was simply hallucinating or that everything was just my imagination, was when I saw my mother having something like a seizure, and then I knew I had to do something about it.

So, when I woke up, I thought to myself, what would it take for me to resort to prayer? I hate to confirm the classic Christian "you'll turn to God", but what would you guys do if you actually saw all that?

For those who skipped through it, everything I just described happened in a dream.

I had a dream like that when I was about 11 years old. Satan was chasing me through a huge mansion or maybe it was a castle. I stopped running and turned to face him. Suddenly I had a can of gasoline in my hands. I dumped it on Satan's head and lit him on fire. I still remember what I said to him as I lit the match. I said this is gasoline and it burns! No more Satan.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
06-07-2014, 08:34 PM
If reality was staring you in the face and that reality meant there really is a God and a Satan, then so be it. Most of us here are about truth and if it turned out that was the truth, it would be fine to act upon that truth (disappointing, but fine Tongue ). So what I would do would depend on how much I really believed this was the new real truth.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
07-07-2014, 05:56 AM
I think this is where my dream self gets let loose. In my dreams I rationally know that just about anything is possible. I've encountered things like demons and gods and I've literally eaten them whole. I turned them into food.

As I've said before if I discovered that gods and devils were real then that means I've changed universes and therefore all my own thoughts are just as powerful.

A god is just a mind whose thoughts alter reality. In this kind of world. My mind is just as powerful as any other mind. They are the ones who would need to turn to some kind of religion to counter my reality, but since religion is based on faith, my science would win every time.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
07-07-2014, 07:24 AM
I think it would check myself into a mental institution before I could believe in God or Satan. Not to sound condescending to believers. I just can't logically wrap my head around any of it being real. It would take a lot of personal revelation to convince me that I wasn't crazy but actually experiencing something super natural. Not even sure if it is really possible. I would always assume I was hallucinating.
07-07-2014, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 08:33 AM by WeAreTheCosmos.)
I doubt that dreams have any real world meaning... At least not based on the present or future.

The other night I was pulling on the sky to waterski barefoot down a river while people and animals would periodically fly diagonally into the sky, pinballing off of trees. For some reason their main gravitational influence was shifting.

A while later I was on a salt water lake in a boat, and a native American assassin climbed aboard to kill me. He grabbed my hand, I was terrified for a moment, then it faded as I reached my finger out and touched his forehead. His face collapsed and he folded into nothing.

Something had fallen to the floor of the boat. I reached down to grab it, only to realize it was a rock, and I was now at the bottom of the lake. I was drowning, but I wasn't afraid.

Thousands of years passed, and the lake evaporated. My body was nothing but a salty, calcified skeleton. I looked up and saw the moon in the daylight. There were bright colonies all over it. It began to rain , and i walked into the forest, leaving chalky white smears on the trees.
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
07-07-2014, 08:37 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2014 08:42 AM by Free Thought.)
(06-07-2014 04:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I had a dream that Satan was after me. Supernatural things were happening and I couldn't bring myself to believe that it was indeed Satan, until I saw it was also affecting others and not just me.

My answer depends on what is meant be 'saw'. Did I 'see' it in a dream, or did I 'see' such things whilst awake?

To go with option 1., I'd probably be surprised that I remembered it at all more than anything else; I don't often remember dreams. Though I do remember that when I was very young, I would frequently have nightmares about giant monsters and people going around crushing and eating people, curiously, the dream would always end right after seeing myself be crushed or eaten. I had other horrifying nightmares about demons and monsters, but that was the most common and stands out; so in terms of having a horrifying nightmare, even like what you describe, it would be similar to returning to my childhood. I'd probably feel a horrified sense of nostalgia and deprive myself of sleep for a few days.

If I actually 'saw' something like it... It'd still be like a return to my childhood. I used to suffer extremely vivid auditory-visual hallucinations occasionally when I was but knee-high (in case anybody might have been concerned, it was because I would frequently over-heat); once I watched my family burning while hearing accusations like 'It's all your fault!" being screamed in my ears. As for what I'd do... I'd probably end up screaming, horrified and waking everybody up and demand I stay under observation for a while, if not having myself thrown into a mental institution for a short while.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.