Nightmare that made me think

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-07-2014, 06:12 PM
RE: Nightmare that made me think
It is called Sleep Paralysis. Very common and very frightening. A lot of people think it is a relgious experience but it isn't. Google it and check out some stuff on youtube. Once you understand it it makes it easier to cope when it strikes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2014, 06:26 PM
Knowing how much I love saying "gawdamit" even though I'm fairly certain there aren't any to damn anything, my dream self would probably run around saying funny shit like, "ah LAWD; I don't wanna DIE! Save me, baby jesus, save me!" Laugh out load

Butt if gawd were really real? Consider
I guess I'd pray and ask him to rid the world of organized , detrimental religions! Which would be all of them, I think Undecided

07-07-2014, 08:33 PM
(07-07-2014 06:12 PM)Pippen Wrote:  It is called Sleep Paralysis. Very common and very frightening. A lot of people think it is a relgious experience but it isn't. Google it and check out some stuff on youtube. Once you understand it it makes it easier to cope when it strikes.

I hate that. I get it when I wake up earlier in the morning then I would like and then drift on back into sleep. Sometimes I become aware that I am not moving and then feel the urge to shift or just twitch a bit. Then I can't, and I panic a bit, half asleep, move around, fall back asleep, a repeat a few more times. Useful sleep adaptation but unpleasant, sleep paralysis, but nevertheless rather unpleasant.
08-07-2014, 07:02 AM
(07-07-2014 06:12 PM)Pippen Wrote:  It is called Sleep Paralysis. Very common and very frightening. A lot of people think it is a relgious experience but it isn't. Google it and check out some stuff on youtube. Once you understand it it makes it easier to cope when it strikes.

Uuum, I didn't say I couldn't move. I know what sleep paralysis is and it's not what happened.

For anyone who replied and anyone who wants to reply, I'd like to make something clear. The point of the thread is this: What would you do if those things happened to you in real life, what would you think and what would it take for you to believe that something supernatural is indeed happening?

This is not me thinking that my dream meant something.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-07-2014, 07:11 AM
(08-07-2014 07:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  

Uuum, I didn't say I couldn't move. I know what sleep paralysis is and it's not what happened.

For anyone who replied and anyone who wants to reply, I'd like to make something clear. The point of the thread is this: What would you do if those things happened to you in real life, what would you think and what would it take for you to believe that something supernatural is indeed happening?

I'd check myself into a mental institution, 'cause clearly I'd have had a very serious mental break down.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-07-2014, 02:03 PM
(06-07-2014 04:07 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  I had a dream that Satan was after me. Supernatural things were happening and I couldn't bring myself to believe that it was indeed Satan, until I saw it was also affecting others and not just me.

Then my very religious aunt called me and asked me if anything was happening to me too, and she told me to pray, hold crosses etc. I tried praying and it worked for a moment, until Satan himself appeared and nothing worked on him and I was so scared I forced myself to wake up.

OK, Van Helsing was on TV the other day and it was all crosses and stuff (there were similar images in my dream), but when I woke up, I felt that if what happened in my dream happened in real life, I'd probably do the same thing. It's been about an hour since I woke up and that thought is kind of fading, but it felt quite reasonable to do it in my dream. All the signs led to Satan, the weird creatures I saw were hurt by crosses and the prayer kind of worked.

I think the turning point in my dream where I stopped thinking that I was simply hallucinating or that everything was just my imagination, was when I saw my mother having something like a seizure, and then I knew I had to do something about it.

So, when I woke up, I thought to myself, what would it take for me to resort to prayer? I hate to confirm the classic Christian "you'll turn to God", but what would you guys do if you actually saw all that?

For those who skipped through it, everything I just described happened in a dream.

I think how I react in my dreams is how I would react in reality. I think it's the same for everybody but I could be way off.
08-07-2014, 02:17 PM
(08-07-2014 07:11 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 07:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Uuum, I didn't say I couldn't move. I know what sleep paralysis is and it's not what happened.

I'd check myself into a mental institution, 'cause clearly I'd have had a very serious mental break down.

I'm pretty sure it would be hard for someone to check into a mental institution while someone is trying to kill them and there's no one else around Tongue

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
08-07-2014, 02:29 PM
(08-07-2014 02:03 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think how I react in my dreams is how I would react in reality. I think it's the same for everybody but I could be way off.

Not for me. All kinds of weird stuff happens in my dreams (stuff that would totally freak me out in real life), and I think nothing of it.

To answer the OP, I'm not sure if anything would convince me of God's existence. Even if Jesus himself (or Krishna or whoever) appeared to me, knew things about me that nobody but me could know, and performed some impressive miracle -- that might be pretty convincing while it was happening, but if I thought about it afterward, I think I would take a Humean approach: maybe someone slipped me some acid; maybe I was losing my mind and hallucinating; maybe I was actually dreaming; maybe it was an alien with very advanced technology, etc. As unlikely as those things are, they are all more likely than the actual existence of Jesus/Krishna/etc.

If God exists at all, I am pretty sure that (1) She/He/It is nothing like the God described in the Bible or the Quran; (2) If S/H/It wanted to impress some human, S/H/It would pick someone more powerful or significant than little old me to impress. So I wouldn't buy the "vision" -- it's much more likely that my mind (or some highly skilled illusionist) is playing tricks on me.
09-07-2014, 01:53 AM
(08-07-2014 02:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(08-07-2014 02:03 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  I think how I react in my dreams is how I would react in reality. I think it's the same for everybody but I could be way off.

Not for me. All kinds of weird stuff happens in my dreams (stuff that would totally freak me out in real life), and I think nothing of it.

To answer the OP, I'm not sure if anything would convince me of God's existence. Even if Jesus himself (or Krishna or whoever) appeared to me, knew things about me that nobody but me could know, and performed some impressive miracle -- that might be pretty convincing while it was happening, but if I thought about it afterward, I think I would take a Humean approach: maybe someone slipped me some acid; maybe I was losing my mind and hallucinating; maybe I was actually dreaming; maybe it was an alien with very advanced technology, etc. As unlikely as those things are, they are all more likely than the actual existence of Jesus/Krishna/etc.

Then how about calling up the Amazing Randy and asking the God pretender to perform his miracles under controlled conditions? That would be convincing already. He might even get away with the promised 1 million dollar Smile

Even more convinving would be to run well documented and controlled experiments. If I read an article which clearly and convincingly reports supernatural phenomena, I would certainly doubt much less.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
09-07-2014, 02:07 AM
Karl Jung believed dreams of the devil represent the shadow self--the part of the self that acts out in disturbing ways that can make us feel guilty: lying, rebellion, angry, hateful, . . .. We all have a shadow self. Because your mother raised you, you may feel your shadow self disappoints her thus her agony in your dream.

Also, you can interprete the dream to mean you are not reconciled to atheist beliefs. There is nothing wrong with that. Go exploring.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles