Nightmares.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2013, 07:04 AM
RE: Nightmares.
I had a lot of night terrors when I was less than ten years old. I haven't had one since.

Not being able to move or speak. Takes all you've got to break the spell.

I think it means that the brain tapped into something that is not ready for processing...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2013, 10:56 AM
I have a nightmare of being in Spanish II class.

It's horrible because everyone's speaking spanish and I can't. Unsure
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
10-07-2013, 05:04 PM
Thanks everyone for the support Smile.

"Invisible pink unicorns" and "Screaming blue ants" Matt Slick
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ChuckTesta's post
11-07-2013, 07:47 AM
I get night terrors from time to time, scares the hell out of my wife when I do. Can't remember most of them oddly, I just wake up screaming like I'm being murdered. These happen pretty infrequently (maybe 2-3 a year), but when they do I am pretty sure I wake the neighborsSmile Nothing to be worried about though.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."
11-07-2013, 09:29 AM
(09-07-2013 10:06 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(09-07-2013 09:41 PM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  BTW, I suffer from regular night terrors. God awful feeling. When it happens, I am aware of my surroundings, but my body is paralyzed. Then I am overwhelmed with this feeling of discomfort like I've been stuck in a single position for days. I have to use all of my will power to move and when I finally manage, I fall right back asleep.

The stuff our brains do to us while we sleep. Madness.

that sounds like a seizure. are your muscles contracting tightly all over and giving you the discomfort? And most people are extremely tired after a seizure. There are different types of seizures--most are much, much milder than the Hollywood seizure with foaming at the mouth and flopping all around.

when my mother would have a seizure she said that she would get a metallic taste in her mouth, a tingle would go up her arms, she could see & hear everything, but couldn't move or talk. Many times she would have them with us in the room next to her and not know it.

No, they aren't seizures. They only happen during my sleep. It's caused by the brain waking up during REM sleep. I haven't had one this year yet though thankfully. But normally I have it happen a few times a year.

I looked it up before. There is a mild form of narcolepsy with symptoms I definitely have. Night terrors being one of them.

Some other sleep issues I have:

1) I get sleepy while driving extended periods of time even if I had a full night's rest. I hate it. Can't tell you how many times I've had to pull over at a rest stop to sleep during a couple hours drive to go snowboarding lol. Once I had to pull over in a parking lot of a shopping center to sleep and this was only a few miles drive to my house.

2) I get sleepy during lectures in class even if the subject interests me. I will be taking notes and start yawning. Next thing I know, I blank out and snap back then find that I wrote gibberish on my notes. Not even scribble, actual words just in no logical arrangement.

3) I think this is natural for everyone, but I ALWAYS get sleepy mid-afternoon.

I'll probably bring up my issues to a doctor on the next visit. It's also time to see if I have some form of ADD. I probably do, but I don't feel I need medication for it.

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
11-07-2013, 09:32 AM
(11-07-2013 07:47 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I get night terrors from time to time, scares the hell out of my wife when I do. Can't remember most of them oddly, I just wake up screaming like I'm being murdered. These happen pretty infrequently (maybe 2-3 a year), but when they do I am pretty sure I wake the neighborsSmile Nothing to be worried about though.

That doesn't sound like a night terror. You cannot scream during an episode. You can moan though. My wife told me she always hears me moan in my sleep. I tell her it's because I'm having a night terror and she should wake me up or roll me over lol. Those moans are my feeble attempt at screaming during an episode.

But maybe you're screaming after the fact. For me, once I move to break the night terror, I immediately fall asleep. And I remember every single episode I have... at least I think I do Dodgy

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
11-07-2013, 09:38 AM
(11-07-2013 09:32 AM)NoahsFarce Wrote:  
(11-07-2013 07:47 AM)AtheistTeacher Wrote:  I get night terrors from time to time, scares the hell out of my wife when I do. Can't remember most of them oddly, I just wake up screaming like I'm being murdered. These happen pretty infrequently (maybe 2-3 a year), but when they do I am pretty sure I wake the neighborsSmile Nothing to be worried about though.

That doesn't sound like a night terror. You cannot scream during an episode. You can moan though. My wife told me she always hears me moan in my sleep. I tell her it's because I'm having a night terror and she should wake me up or roll me over lol. Those moans are my feeble attempt at screaming during an episode.

But maybe you're screaming after the fact. For me, once I move to break the night terror, I immediately fall asleep. And I remember every single episode I have... at least I think I do Dodgy

In mine I couldn't move or scream, but I would wake up trying to scream and then sound would come out. As I woke up. I think (just think) that I always woke up at the end of the dream, when I couldn't move or scream...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
11-07-2013, 05:20 PM
My wife tells me I usually moan and kinda mumble and talk to myself during them and the screaming starts just before I wake up and then once I am awake until I reorient myself. I usually don't remember anything of the actual nightmare/terror/dream. If it isn't a night terror maybe I am just prone to some really trippy nightmares, not really sure.

"History teaches us that no other cause has brought more death than the word of god."