Nihilism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2011, 01:03 PM
Nihilism
I am thinking about taking on this world view... I mean... for all I know, I could be diluted in my scientific world view just as a christian is in his faithful world view... why should I acknowledge science? Sure it has a track record of success... but so do a lot of things that turn out to not work out. I think a world view in which I literally believe in nothing (Nevermore for the win... anyone else like that song?), would avoid future disappointment.

Wouldn't it suck if 20 years down the road evolution were disproven? Everything in biology revolves around evolution; the entire scientific world would change.

Maybe i am crazy. Thoughts?

Fight the system,

~~~but don't mute the opposition!~~~
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2011, 01:27 PM
RE: Nihilism
It would be hard for me to disagree more.
It would be great if evolution were disproven, as the only way it would be was if it were wrong in which case we learn more and gain a more accurate understanding of the universe.

The reason I accept science is because it is demonstrably accurate. It is the best method we have for understanding the universe. Science can be wrong but the only way it is found to be wrong is by further experimenting to learn more. We could be buying into alot of things in science that are wrong, but so many more that are right, and by not accepting any of it you won't make any progress - and neither would we have as a species. Science sent us to the moon. Science created beating hearts in a lab. Science may not be perfect, but I'd much rather have it than not.
Nice signature by the way.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
15-04-2011, 03:31 AM
I just started reading Earths Forbidden Secrets, very interesting book. There the writer Maxwell Igan tries to explain how we are lied in a lot of scientific facts, and how lot of things are hidden and discarded by scientists because it would rock their boat of their ideas and their evidences. And it does make sense, unfortunately even scientists are humans with huge egos so they like to keep their findings and theories true as long as they can, and in some cases that means that they have to cover up some new findings and even destroy evidences that would disprove old theories. The book is full of interesting things like Aztec ear plugs, crystal skulls, detailed maps of Antarctica, but without ice and from time when no one new Antarctica even existed... Of course, it is now a question of truth about those findings, but the fact remains that the Academy of science has its own agenda and will cover up something they can't explain, for the sake of their own chairs and privileges.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
15-04-2011, 07:46 PM
Can Maxwell Igan back up any of his comments?

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
16-04-2011, 03:35 PM
It might be a late reply, and you might not even read this (and i also haven't read what everyone else said before me yet (sorry, i will after typing this)), but i just have to say this.

The reason why i personally believe the idea of the rejection of science as a worldview would be a mistake is based on the following.

First there's the human logic: in the beginning we created a logic, there's one thing and there's another thing that looks exactly alike, so we've got two things (the awesome beginning of math), but that thing looks different so that has got to be something else. After these amazing statements we based a logic. We made a difference between facts and lies, simply because it was practical. The human logic is the base of both math and science and with it we explored the world, found out what was useful and what was not. Science is what told us what to eat and what not, science told us how we could make a car drive and i could go on for centuries now.
If you would reject the base of everything that keeps you alive these days and makes stuff functional, that would be (at least in my opinion) plain madness (this is the moment where i look at the creationists with sad eyes).

Now it is true that there are things that science can not explain for us. But i personally believe that's mainly because these things go beyond the human logic. Science has it's own contradictions, but can't we just ignore those instead of screaming this is wrong, so everything else is wrong as well!

That would be my view on this matter :3
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-04-2011, 04:25 AM
(15-04-2011 07:46 PM)No J. Wrote:  Can Maxwell Igan back up any of his comments?

Well, he did put in a lot of objects and facts, but I would have to spend days and days researching those to see if any of that is real or not. Also, the only source for info I have about the subjects is the Internet, and we all know that is not a relevant media. So, no, he can not back it up, you have to search it yourself. But an interesting book, in any case.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
25-04-2011, 12:09 PM
(13-04-2011 01:03 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I am thinking about taking on this world view... I mean... for all I know, I could be diluted in my scientific world view just as a christian is in his faithful world view...

Nihilism does not require the rejection of science or knowledge, unless you want to go so far as to adopt epistemological nihilism, which says that knowledge does not exist, and is self-negating.

(13-04-2011 01:03 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  why should I acknowledge science? Sure it has a track record of success... but so do a lot of things that turn out to not work out.

Such as? I think that, if you consider this a for a minute, you'll see that it is self-contradictory. Things which have a track record of success, by definition, worked out, at least for a time. And when they finally found something which they could not explain or do, they were augmented by the addition of further things.

Science is a process, not a monolithic entity.

(13-04-2011 01:03 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  I think a world view in which I literally believe in nothing (Nevermore for the win... anyone else like that song?), would avoid future disappointment.

And also eschew all future enjoyment. And also be totally unwarranted. At the very least, you know that you exist, and that you are receiving sensory impressions of some kind from something.

(13-04-2011 01:03 PM)latvianxave8 Wrote:  Wouldn't it suck if 20 years down the road evolution were disproven? Everything in biology revolves around evolution; the entire scientific world would change.

I fail to see how this would suck.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner