Nihilism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2012, 12:57 PM
Nihilism
Is nihilism a good path for a logical atheist?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2012, 01:05 PM
RE: Nihilism
Before I answer your question, I'd like you to explain what a "good path" from your point of view is.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
29-06-2012, 01:11 PM
(29-06-2012 12:57 PM)Daftheed Wrote:  Is nihilism a good path for a logical atheist?
I don't know what the bias of "good" is in a question like this. The notion of nihilism being a good path seems ironic. If you are going to rejection notions of meaning, is there really good?

It is somewhat understandable. Do I think it's reasonable? Absolutely but in no way necessary.

Some people could call me an nihilistic existentialist since I live via thinking all meaning in life is applied via humanity retroactively. I do think we follow a good biological structure that shows us what benefits the groups in life. That's partially my justification to go on giving meaning within life. Specifically with the individual choosing what his basis for living would be.

If you think there is no point to even applying meaning then there's nothing you could say to consider that bad or good. Or, you could easily say, it isn't bad.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
29-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Since nihilism rejects meaning and value, how could it be good? Or bad?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Nihilism doesn't reject meaning, it rejects ultimate meaning. Artificial transient meaning is not only accepted, it is elevated and glorified.

I am us and we is me. ... bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-06-2012, 02:52 PM
If you view nihilism as skepticism, or global skepticism, and just say something has absolutely no meaning, value, objectively, at all, then no, it's a bad path, in my opinion.

If you view it as just denying some type of inherent meaning, especially in regards to things like life and morality, then it could be a good start, but I would definitely encourage one not to stop there.

If you use nihilism in your atheism to reject the idea that God put us here for a reason, gave our lives purpose and meaning, gave us moral worth, and dictates morality, that is okay. I just wouldn't want to see someone get to that point philosophically and then just stop.

The Paradox Of Fools And Wise Men:
“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” ― Bertrand Russell
29-06-2012, 03:40 PM
(29-06-2012 02:52 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Nihilism doesn't reject meaning, it rejects ultimate meaning. Artificial transient meaning is not only accepted, it is elevated and glorified.
Thanks - caused me to do a little research. I had a very poor understanding of nihilism. Smartass

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post