Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2017, 03:09 PM
RE: Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017
(13-01-2017 02:42 PM)Gilgamesh Wrote:  Another ultra-gimicky console with shit hardware made by nintendo?

Ya' don't say.

They're targeting the same demographic that wanted an upgraded version of the Wii, instead of that Wii U crap. I don't know if this is really going to entice the mobile 3DS gamers, but for big fans of the Wii, hell yeah, they'll be all over this.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-01-2017, 08:33 PM
(13-01-2017 02:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 01:52 PM)cactus Wrote:  If it's backwards compatible with Wii games, I'm buying it day 1 just for Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy.

My kids loved Mario Galaxy. Super Mario Sunshine was also a favorite but Galaxy they seemed to enjoy more.

It did occur to me that the assisted care place my mil was in used a Wii the old folks there had Wii bowling competitions. But those new controllers are so tiny -- I don't know...

They also used Wii Fitness programs too.

Same here. We liked Galaxy more.

We got tired of dragging out the Wii Board, so we stopped using the fitness games. But Just Dance is fun and definitely burns calories (no wii board required)

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
13-01-2017, 10:38 PM
(13-01-2017 01:52 PM)cactus Wrote:  If it's backwards compatible with Wii games, I'm buying it day 1 just for Skyward Sword and Mario Galaxy.

Not going to happen. The Switch's games are on cartridges, this portable system doesn't even have a disk drive. That being said, the scuttlebutt is that the Switch's Virtual Console offerings will include Game Cube games, such as Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. But these will be, like all Virtual Console releases, download only; and thus stored on the Switch's internal 32GB of storage or on a MicroSD card (with up to 256GB of storage).

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
13-01-2017, 11:01 PM
(13-01-2017 10:38 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  

Not going to happen. The Switch's games are on cartridges, this portable system doesn't even have a disk drive. That being said, the scuttlebutt is that the Switch's Virtual Console offerings will include Game Cube games, such as Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. But these will be, like all Virtual Console releases, download only; and thus stored on the Switch's internal 32GB of storage or on a MicroSD card (with up to 256GB of storage).

That kinda fucking sucks.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

14-01-2017, 12:06 AM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2017 12:47 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(13-01-2017 11:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(13-01-2017 10:38 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Not going to happen. The Switch's games are on cartridges, this portable system doesn't even have a disk drive. That being said, the scuttlebutt is that the Switch's Virtual Console offerings will include Game Cube games, such as Super Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime. But these will be, like all Virtual Console releases, download only; and thus stored on the Switch's internal 32GB of storage or on a MicroSD card (with up to 256GB of storage).

That kinda fucking sucks.

Yes and no. How many smart phones and tablets have disk drives? What is the smallest laptop you can get that still has a physical optical drive in it? Still kinda thick, right?

Plus, both the Wii and WiiU (and the Game Cube) were PowerPC architecture, which is very different from the direction taken by other current consoles (X86), and modern PC's (also X86). The Switch is built around the ARM architecture, making it more in line with current tablets and smart phones, which also make use of ARM chips almost exclusively.

So the Switch's Virtual Console will all be software emulation, in effect Nintendo will be using the Switch to run a program that pretends to be a NES, SNES, N64, or a Game Cube. The Wii could play Game Cube games because both platforms were PowerPC based, and the Wii literally hard hardware (chips, controller ports, etc.) built into it to allow for native emulation. The WiiU was also a PowerPC machine, and likewise had Wii hardware built into it (chips, IR sensors, etc.) so that it could emulate Wii games. The problem with the full software emulation is, in using software to emulate hardware (in effect, the software operates in such a way as to pretend to be a piece of hardware, a particular chip or set of processors), is that it's inherently inefficient; software emulation always takes processing power orders of magnitudes greater than the device being emulated. So to emulate a Game Cube or Wii through software emulation, you'd need a machine with raw processing power many times greater than what the Game Cube or Wii were capable of themselves originally. Combine that with the jump in architecture, and the translation gap widens further, and thus the inefficiency goes up, and with it the processing power required to make it all work.

This translation gap is why the PS4 will never be able to emulate the PS3, because the PS3's very strange 'cell' processors setup is far too complex for the power of the PS4 to overcome through software emulation alone. It's also why the PS3 lost PS2 backwards compatibility, because the refresh versions that came out later were smaller and cheaper because they literally removed the physical hardware that was inside in the monolithic first generation PS3's that allowed for PS2 playback (in effect, the original PS3 had a PS2 inside it, with minor software emulation). Ironically enough the PS4 does have a growing library of downloadable PS2 titles, because the PS4 is powerful enough to brute force full software emulation of the PS2 architecture, something the PS3 was not capable of doing. On the other hand, the Xbox 360 was far less aberrant, and so the Xbox One has been able to achieve software emulation of the 360 with much success. While not every title works, Microsoft has been steadily releasing compatibility patches for individual titles on a regular basis; in effect they've created customized software wrappers for each title, allowing for software emulation of the specific game as opposed to across the board platform emulation.

Now the Switch is, by all accounts, the most powerful hardware Nintendo has ever made. So it's not a stretch of the imagination to believe that is has the processing power to overcome the software emulation inefficiency and to be able to emulate Game Cube games. While Wii titles weren't a huge step forward graphically, they were a step forward, and they may not have quite enough to allow for Wii emulation. The WiiU is almost certainly out, but in that case we may see improved ports, much like how the WiiU got HD remasters of Game Cube titles (The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD). But even here, even if they could emulate the Wii, the lack of a physical drive means it won't be simple plug and play. They'll be downloadable titles only, which means you'd have to purchase them all over again, and knowing Nintendo they won't be priced cheaply.

TL;DR If the Switch had native hardware based emulation of the Wii, it would also be the size of a Wii to accommodate a disk drive, have a sub 2 hour battery life, and it would most likely cost north of $350.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
14-01-2017, 07:05 AM
[Image: C2CD5mqUUAAm6ja.jpg]

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
14-01-2017, 07:37 AM
I'm with giggidy on this. My FB feed is fulla this crap and I just don't get it. What I am getting is a PS4 Pro with man sized controllers. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-01-2017, 08:30 AM
As a single person with time for occasional all night gaming marathons and nobody to share the TV with, I used to not see the point of Nintendo. With two kids in the house to share with when I'm home and most of my solo gaming time being in the middle of my frequent graveyard shifts when jack shit is going on, I'm thinking the Switch sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
14-01-2017, 04:53 PM
(14-01-2017 08:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As a single person with time for occasional all night gaming marathons and nobody to share the TV with, I used to not see the point of Nintendo. With two kids in the house to share with when I'm home and most of my solo gaming time being in the middle of my frequent graveyard shifts when jack shit is going on, I'm thinking the Switch sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for.

Now you can "Switch" to Nintendo. Big Grin

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
14-01-2017, 05:33 PM
(14-01-2017 04:53 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(14-01-2017 08:30 AM)yakherder Wrote:  As a single person with time for occasional all night gaming marathons and nobody to share the TV with, I used to not see the point of Nintendo. With two kids in the house to share with when I'm home and most of my solo gaming time being in the middle of my frequent graveyard shifts when jack shit is going on, I'm thinking the Switch sounds like exactly what I've been waiting for.

Now you can "Switch" to Nintendo. Big Grin

I already have in a sense. I've had an X Box One for over 6 months now and haven't taken it out of the box yet.

Meanwhile, the 3DS gets heavy usage and my son is quickly learning to play Mario Kart on my girlfriend's Wii.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post