No, Atheists Don't Have to Show "Respect" for Religion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-02-2011, 11:43 PM
No, Atheists Don't Have to Show "Respect" for Religion
A little long, but interesting.

http://www.alternet.org/belief/149588/no...age=entire

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2011, 07:09 AM
RE: No, Atheists Don't Have to Show "Respect" for Religion
That was a very good article - thank you.
I think that diplomacy is a tricky thing , if you come on to softly people may think you share their belief but if you come to strongly you may just make them more adamant in their position.
My solution is simple : I respect people not their ideas.

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
14-02-2011, 10:19 AM
(13-02-2011 07:09 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  That was a very good article - thank you.
I think that diplomacy is a tricky thing , if you come on to softly people may think you share their belief but if you come to strongly you may just make them more adamant in their position.
My solution is simple : I respect people not their ideas.
Nice solution. I give people as much respect as they give me.
On a funny related note, my side job is pizza delivery. I came back from delivery Saturday night to find the store in a tizzy because an Indian fellow (don't know if he was hindu or buddhist) politely requested the cuttting knife be washed before touching his food. I asked everyone why they couldn't tolerate his religious and diet-based request, washed the knife and cut it myself. Some christians, I swear Smile

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
15-02-2011, 12:34 AM
An extremely simple solution to an extremly simple problem and they couldn't handle it. No wonder they can't understand our reasoning. Very sad.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
15-02-2011, 06:18 AM
Asking for something to be washed doesn't sound like a religious request to me, it sounds like a sanitary request. It may be mixed up with religion but, seriously, if you're not washing the cutting knife before it touches my food, then I'm not eating anything you have to serve. This is common sense.

As for the "tizzy", I was not there but I wonder if this is really a case of not respecting someone elses belief or a case of people for whom working at a pizza parlor is the pinnacle of their intellectual capability and being asked to do one more thing just put them over the edge.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
15-02-2011, 09:27 AM
(15-02-2011 06:18 AM)BnW Wrote:  Asking for something to be washed doesn't sound like a religious request to me, it sounds like a sanitary request. It may be mixed up with religion but, seriously, if you're not washing the cutting knife before it touches my food, then I'm not eating anything you have to serve. This is common sense.

As for the "tizzy", I was not there but I wonder if this is really a case of not respecting someone elses belief or a case of people for whom working at a pizza parlor is the pinnacle of their intellectual capability and being asked to do one more thing just put them over the edge.
Everything is washed as often as is possible, but if you have10 orders coming out of the oven one after another, you just slice, wipe and box. The request was placed because as a vegetarian he did not want specks of meat getting on his pizza. As for the intellectual capability, some yes, some no. I asked a few of them about the idea of their own religious requests being denied and as you they just selfishly said they didn't feel like adding more work to their routine, even 30 seconds worth.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
15-02-2011, 08:28 PM
(15-02-2011 09:27 AM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Everything is washed as often as is possible, but if you have10 orders coming out of the oven one after another, you just slice, wipe and box. The request was placed because as a vegetarian he did not want specks of meat getting on his pizza. As for the intellectual capability, some yes, some no. I asked a few of them about the idea of their own religious requests being denied and as you they just selfishly said they didn't feel like adding more work to their routine, even 30 seconds worth.

Maybe you should have told them that Jesus was watching them, and asked if he would approve. Wink

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
15-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Bionicdance has a good video about this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFTxdBlDIo

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Good solution Trillium...
Mine is a bit more violent: Genocide! Big Grin
15-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Good video, Doctor.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.