No Evidence Vs Evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 11:03 AM
RE: No Evidence Vs Evidence
(06-05-2015 10:55 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  EVIDENCE OF WHAT?

Anything. Does the what, change the meaning of evidence? If it does, how so?

Quote:In your interpretation, what Isn't evidence?

If evidence is anything that we draw a conclusion from. What isn't evidence, is anything we don't draw conclusions from.

Quote:I guess your annoyed at people saying "the bible isn't evidence"

Then your guess would be wrong.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 11:04 AM
In the case of evidence for a god, I can set the standard for evidence to be as rigid or as flexible as needed to convince me. You do not get to decided when or how I am convinced of anything. If your god is what you claim it is, nothing should be too rigid.
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
06-05-2015, 11:07 AM
(06-05-2015 11:03 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 10:55 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  EVIDENCE OF WHAT?

Anything. Does the what, change the meaning of evidence? If it does, how so?

Quote:In your interpretation, what Isn't evidence?

If evidence is anything that we draw a conclusion from. What isn't evidence, is anything we don't draw conclusions from.

Quote:I guess your annoyed at people saying "the bible isn't evidence"

Then your guess would be wrong.

There isn't an "evidence" without any What. Without any context or observational point. That's how I'd define it.

In your defined way, everything being observed is at all points is evidence, because humanity isn't ever not drawing conclusions from everything they observe. That's simply how a mind works subconsciously to understand the world.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
06-05-2015, 11:10 AM
(06-05-2015 11:04 AM)pablo Wrote:  I can set the standard for evidence to be as rigid or as flexible as needed to convince me. You do not get to decided when or how I am convinced of anything.

And this is true for everybody? That it's subjective, and up to each individual to decide upon themselves, whether the case from something being true or not, is compelling enough?
06-05-2015, 11:14 AM
(06-05-2015 11:10 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 11:04 AM)pablo Wrote:  I can set the standard for evidence to be as rigid or as flexible as needed to convince me. You do not get to decided when or how I am convinced of anything.

And this is true for everybody? That it's subjective, and up to each individual to decide upon themselves, whether the case from something being true or not, is compelling enough?

The claim for a god is subjective, why shouldn't my requirements for evidence also be?
06-05-2015, 11:21 AM
(06-05-2015 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Let's say we come across a dead body, perhaps a scene of a crime, we see a variety of things like ruffled clothes, some bruises, etc...And a variety of people draw a seemingly infinite number of conclusion based on these things, a nearly infinite series of explanations.

Since all these explanations incorporate these observations, could we accuse any of these explanations of having "no evidence" at all? Or is it only the true and accurate conclusion that has evidence, while the other ones don't?

Are you talking in general or in relation to biblical evidence? Nowadays we have forensic science to assess crime scenes. In biblical times, they had their own ways of figuring out a guilty party Numbers 5:11-31. It seem science, history, archaeology, and anthropology keep disproving the Bible. I guess God just must be confounding the wisdom of the wise like it says in The Bible. Consider
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
06-05-2015, 11:26 AM
(06-05-2015 09:20 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Let's say we come across a dead body, perhaps a scene of a crime, we see a variety of things like ruffled clothes, some bruises, etc...And a variety of people draw a seemingly infinite number of conclusion based on these things, a nearly infinite series of explanations.

Since all these explanations incorporate these observations, could we accuse any of these explanations of having "no evidence" at all? Or is it only the true and accurate conclusion that has evidence, while the other ones don't?

Your first sentence implies evidence. You've no proof the body is in fact dead. Living people can be bruised, have rumpled clothing and be lying down.

So what is your evidence the body is in fact dead?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-05-2015, 11:31 AM
He seems to have left the building.
06-05-2015, 11:36 AM

I'm reading this again, and are you sure you don't mean speculation?
You can speculate all you want when you come across a corpse, create a narrative of what might have happened. You may be right or completely off, you just don't know until it's properly investigated.
Maybe you'd like to use another example.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-05-2015, 11:49 AM
(06-05-2015 11:31 AM)pablo Wrote:  He seems to have left the building.

I left for lunch, thank you.