No Evidence Vs Evidence

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2015, 11:50 AM
RE: No Evidence Vs Evidence
(06-05-2015 11:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Are you talking in general or in relation to biblical evidence?

In general.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2015, 11:51 AM
(06-05-2015 11:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  The claim for a god is subjective, why shouldn't my requirements for evidence also be?

Is it God, that makes your particular threshold subjective? Or is it subjective regardless of who are what the claim is about?
06-05-2015, 11:57 AM
Oh, for fuck's sake - evidence isn't subjective. Interpretation is subjective.

If it is an observable fact, confirmable by others, it is evidence. You may not know what it is evidence of, but it is most certainly evidence of something.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
06-05-2015, 11:58 AM
(06-05-2015 11:36 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I'm reading this again, and are you sure you don't mean speculation?
You can speculate all you want when you come across a corpse, create a narrative of what might have happened. You may be right or completely off, you just don't know until it's properly investigated.
Maybe you'd like to use another example.

Can speculations be based on evidence?
06-05-2015, 12:06 PM
(06-05-2015 11:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 11:14 AM)pablo Wrote:  The claim for a god is subjective, why shouldn't my requirements for evidence also be?

Is it God, that makes your particular threshold subjective? Or is it subjective regardless of who are what the claim is about?

I'm sure you've heard that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. As your claims escalate in absurdity, my requirements for evidence of these claims also escalates.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
06-05-2015, 12:08 PM
(06-05-2015 11:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  If it is an observable fact, confirmable by others, it is evidence. You may not know what it is evidence of, but it is most certainly evidence of something.

So every "observable condition" as was previously put, is evidence. The ruffled clothing, the bruises are all evidence, prior to any conclusion being drawn from them.

The Bible is evidence, the only question is, evidence for what?
06-05-2015, 12:10 PM
(06-05-2015 11:58 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 11:36 AM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  I'm reading this again, and are you sure you don't mean speculation?
You can speculate all you want when you come across a corpse, create a narrative of what might have happened. You may be right or completely off, you just don't know until it's properly investigated.
Maybe you'd like to use another example.

Can speculations be based on evidence?
well.. flimsy evidence.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
06-05-2015, 12:11 PM
Again, Tomasia, how do you know the body is actually deceased?

You began this thread with a blasé haphazardly worded statement of fact and then ask about evidence.

How did you determine (aside from just writing it that way) did you conclude there was in fact a dead body?

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

06-05-2015, 12:12 PM
(06-05-2015 12:06 PM)pablo Wrote:  I'm sure you've heard that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. As your claims escalate in absurdity, my requirements for evidence of these claims also escalates.

Extraordinary claims don't require extraordinary evidence, except for you. If someone accepted less than extraordinary evidence to believe something you'd consider extraordinary, it's just to each his own.

In fact the very notion of what is and what isn't extraordinary is subjective, a qualitative value.
06-05-2015, 12:13 PM
(06-05-2015 12:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 11:57 AM)Chas Wrote:  If it is an observable fact, confirmable by others, it is evidence. You may not know what it is evidence of, but it is most certainly evidence of something.

So every "observable condition" as was previously put, is evidence. The ruffled clothing, the bruises are all evidence, prior to any conclusion being drawn from them.

The Bible is evidence, the only question is, evidence for what?

Evidence that someone wrote a book.
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post