No. Just no Gabe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 03:06 AM
No. Just no Gabe.
If you're a steam user and you haven't seen yet, Steam has allowed people to create mods that you can pay for at Skyrim's Steam Workshop, in order to "fund" the modders that upload on Steam. I'm not really sure if most of the cash goes into the creators wallet with taxes and what not, but it's not really a good idea. The best mods out there has been made without funding or with donating, and let's be honest, nobody who creates these mods will use the money they get from this to create more mods; they're gonna use it to buy a bag of fucking doritos to munch on. It doesn't destroy the modding community since Nexusmods is around, and that most big mods can't fit with Steam (or SkyUI) but you never know. So back up any mods you have and like just in case a steam exclusive (or somebody removes their stuff from Nexusmods in favor of this) gets a pricetag slapped on it. Oh, and speaking of doritos:
[Image: geoffk.jpg]

This also made me chuckle:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/fi...=430874455

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-04-2015, 05:17 AM
RE: No. Just no Gabe.
(24-04-2015 03:06 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  If you're a steam user and you haven't seen yet, Steam has allowed people to create mods that you can pay for at Skyrim's Steam Workshop, in order to "fund" the modders that upload on Steam. I'm not really sure if most of the cash goes into the creators wallet with taxes and what not, but it's not really a good idea. The best mods out there has been made without funding or with donating, and let's be honest, nobody who creates these mods will use the money they get from this to create more mods; they're gonna use it to buy a bag of fucking doritos to munch on. It doesn't destroy the modding community since Nexusmods is around, and that most big mods can't fit with Steam (or SkyUI) but you never know. So back up any mods you have and like just in case a steam exclusive (or somebody removes their stuff from Nexusmods in favor of this) gets a pricetag slapped on it. Oh, and speaking of doritos:

Yabut, what's a 'mod'?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
24-04-2015, 05:23 AM
Valve announces paid modding for Skyrim - Apr. 23rd, 2015 - TotalBisciut

In principle, I have no problem with content creators being paid for their work.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
24-04-2015, 05:36 AM
(24-04-2015 05:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 03:06 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  If you're a steam user and you haven't seen yet, Steam has allowed people to create mods that you can pay for at Skyrim's Steam Workshop, in order to "fund" the modders that upload on Steam. I'm not really sure if most of the cash goes into the creators wallet with taxes and what not, but it's not really a good idea. The best mods out there has been made without funding or with donating, and let's be honest, nobody who creates these mods will use the money they get from this to create more mods; they're gonna use it to buy a bag of fucking doritos to munch on. It doesn't destroy the modding community since Nexusmods is around, and that most big mods can't fit with Steam (or SkyUI) but you never know. So back up any mods you have and like just in case a steam exclusive (or somebody removes their stuff from Nexusmods in favor of this) gets a pricetag slapped on it. Oh, and speaking of doritos:

Yabut, what's a 'mod'?

A mod is a user-made content for games which most of the time is free for download
24-04-2015, 08:27 AM
(24-04-2015 05:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Valve announces paid modding for Skyrim - Apr. 23rd, 2015 - TotalBisciut

In principle, I have no problem with content creators being paid for their work.

Although I bet you wouldn't pay 5 dollars for a generic custom follower. Untill Steam allows bigger files for the Workshop, so that people can buy the big DLC-like mods, I reckon this is going nowhere. Besides, IMO the fact that mods are free is half its appeal.

24-04-2015, 08:37 AM
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 05:23 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Valve announces paid modding for Skyrim - Apr. 23rd, 2015 - TotalBisciut

Although I bet you wouldn't pay 5 dollars for a generic custom follower. Untill Steam allows bigger files for the Workshop, so that people can buy the big DLC-like mods, I reckon this is going nowhere. Besides, IMO the fact that mods are free is half its appeal.

People already do pay 5 dollars for costume flowers on their characters costumes in plenty of games now.

The point is as you say, modders are doing this for free and for free use... so if it's creating some scenarios where those modders can actually get funded for the work they do it gives more value to them for the same great things being done.

Yes people doing creative work will just use funds to be eating junk food Facepalm

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
24-04-2015, 08:49 AM
(24-04-2015 08:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Although I bet you wouldn't pay 5 dollars for a generic custom follower. Untill Steam allows bigger files for the Workshop, so that people can buy the big DLC-like mods, I reckon this is going nowhere. Besides, IMO the fact that mods are free is half its appeal.

People already do pay 5 dollars for costume flowers on their characters costumes in plenty of games now.

Which I think is dumb and waste of money. Sorry, but there's a reason why I only have two of the dozen Sims 3 DLC's.

(24-04-2015 08:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  The point is as you say, modders are doing this for free and for free use... so if it's creating some scenarios where those modders can actually get funded for the work they do it gives more value to them for the same great things being done.

Sure, I don't mind that. Especially since I'm not going to buy anything off Steam Workshop.

(24-04-2015 08:37 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Yes people doing creative work will just use funds to be eating junk food Facepalm

With the current size of files on Steam Workshop, yes. And you've misunderstood my point. Valve itself stated that the money you give them will be used to create more and better mods, which isn't gonna end up being true.

Besides, I wonder how modders will take the pressure of bug fixing and complaining when money is involved.

25-04-2015, 06:09 AM
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

Then let the market police itself, right? If the shit isn't worth $5, then people are not going to pay $5; and if someone else is willing to, who are you to say what they can do with their disposable income?

I have a problem with Valve's entirely hands-off approach to quality control, and the rampant theft of other's people's work, and Valve's own obscene 75% cut. My problems are with the implementation of this idea, not the idea itself. If the developer of Falskaar wants to ask for $5-10 buck for his work, more power to him; and I think many would agree that his work is worth the price. I don't begrudge him, or anyone else, wanting to earn money from their work and having the ability to safely and legally monetize it.

Also, a quick synopsis of Reddit and the Steam forums.

[Image: ZhyrjBm.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
25-04-2015, 07:53 AM
(25-04-2015 06:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 08:27 AM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Although I bet you wouldn't pay 5 dollars for a generic custom follower. Untill Steam allows bigger files for the Workshop, so that people can buy the big DLC-like mods, I reckon this is going nowhere. Besides, IMO the fact that mods are free is half its appeal.

Then let the market police itself, right? If the shit isn't worth $5, then people are not going to pay $5; and if someone else is willing to, who are you to say what they can do with their disposable income?

Again, I don't have problem with what they use their new earned money for, and if it came across like that I apologize. I have a problem with this statement from Valve:
"Discover the best new mods for your game and enable the creators to continue making new items and experiences.". Sorry, but I bother myself over little details like this. I would buy that statement from Valve; it if was donating they were talking about.

(25-04-2015 06:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  I have a problem with Valve's entirely hands-off approach to quality control, and the rampant theft of other's people's work, and Valve's own obscene 75% cut. My problems are with the implementation of this idea, not the idea itself. If the developer of Falskaar wants to ask for $5-10 buck for his work, more power to him; and I think many would agree that his work is worth the price. I don't begrudge him, or anyone else, wanting to earn money from their work and having the ability to safely and legally monetize it.

75 %?! Are they fucking insane? I would have expected them to like tax 5 or 10 % off it, but this is so goddamn crazy I almost don't believe you.

25-04-2015, 08:40 AM
I like Patreon[1] as a model for funding content creation work, which is to say I like Day[9]'s model that Patreon resembles[2]. Day[9]'s model is:
- The content is free. No ifs. No buts. It's free and it will stay free forever.
- If you like you can pay a small monthly subscription and you get a few basic perks like a "contributor" badge on a forum or access to some live events
- No one is allowed to feel bad or make you feel bad for not contributing. It's a totally voluntary thing. It's positive if you do, but there a no negative connotations if you don't.

Patreon has exploded in forums such as YouTube, so much so that YouTube have brought out a competing subscription service.

I think this pay-what-you-want-for-free-content model is going to be an exponentially expanding business model for the next few years at least, and I don't see why it couldn't extend into modding or other activities. Let's clarify the model from a consumer perspective:
1. You set aside an amount of money you think is reasonable per month, say the cost of a Pay TV subscription or the cost of a hamburger each week.
2. You divide up that money between artists whose work just kills it and who you want to see more from
3. Everyone benefits, even those who can't afford to set aside hamburger money.
4. Over time a legacy of excellent free content is built up, not locked up by complex copyright and licensing terms but free and available to benefit the human race.

[1] https://www.patreon.com/
[2] http://day9.tv/tipjar/

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.