No. Just no Gabe.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2015, 11:35 PM
RE: No. Just no Gabe.
(02-05-2015 11:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Please tell me that was like the I Am Rich app...

You know, it wasn't made with any serious intent, just to prove a point...

Or was it? With all the Bronies and creeps in the Valve community, who knows if it was serious or not? Gasp

Wink

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2015, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 11:44 PM by Free Thought.)
(02-05-2015 11:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:27 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Please tell me that was like the I Am Rich app...

You know, it wasn't made with any serious intent, just to prove a point...

Or was it? With all the Bronies and creeps in the Valve community, who knows if it was serious or not? Gasp

Wink

Weeping

Wait.. problem solved:

[Image: ab1.gif]

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
02-05-2015, 11:44 PM
(02-05-2015 11:41 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:35 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Or was it? With all the Bronies and creeps in the Valve community, who knows if it was serious or not? Gasp

Wink

Weeping

[Image: download.php?name=i-m-out-stewie&amp...mp;ext=jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
02-05-2015, 11:58 PM
(02-05-2015 08:36 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 08:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  It seems to me that if one doesn't like the compensation, then one can simply choose not to do mods.

What am I missing? Consider

I turn down consulting gigs where the compensation doesn't jibe with the effort and required expertise.

What if someone took your code and without compensating you sold them?

The whole idea was that it was free, the developers weren't compensated - it was for the luvs.

If I did some code for free (I have), then what happens after is not my concern.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2015, 12:06 AM
(02-05-2015 11:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  The whole idea was that it was free, the developers weren't compensated - it was for the luvs.

If I did some code for free (I have), then what happens after is not my concern.

I am glad you are content not caring what happens to your free work after you've coded. Some others do, and rightfully so (it is their work). I work on creating sounds and implementing them into the CK compiler for Skywind. I have an agreement with the development team for Skywind that they can use my sounds. But if a person takes the sounds I made for free, copies them, then proceeds to sell them without my permission, I am justified in pursuing an avenue to take the content down. Valve, however, did not even consider the possibility of mod theft (even though it happens all the time). They flat out admitted in their recent blog post that they did not consider the legal ramifications behind this system.

[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
03-05-2015, 03:22 PM
(03-05-2015 12:06 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(02-05-2015 11:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  The whole idea was that it was free, the developers weren't compensated - it was for the luvs.

I am glad you are content not caring what happens to your free work after you've coded. Some others do, and rightfully so (it is their work). I work on creating sounds and implementing them into the CK compiler for Skywind. I have an agreement with the development team for Skywind that they can use my sounds. But if a person takes the sounds I made for free, copies them, then proceeds to sell them without my permission, I am justified in pursuing an avenue to take the content down. Valve, however, did not even consider the possibility of mod theft (even though it happens all the time). They flat out admitted in their recent blog post that they did not consider the legal ramifications behind this system.

If you give someone a gift and they turn around and sell it, you might be upset or angry, but you have no legal recourse since that party did nothing illegal.

If you let someone use your lawn mower and they turn around and sell it, then you have legal recourse.

Do you have a legal agreement in writing that states the terms of use of your sounds? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2015, 06:09 PM
(03-05-2015 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you give someone a gift and they turn around and sell it, you might be upset or angry, but you have no legal recourse since that party did nothing illegal.

Yes and no. If I produce music and release it on Youtube and someone downloads it and uploads it to iTunes for sale without my consent, I have the right to have it removed. Whether or not I would win in civil court is irrelevant, as most vendors will take action independently. Steam did not, which encouraged many to steal and sell.

Mods are not exclusively gifts, but are also products. Sites like Nexus have terms of use and written agreements explicitly stated on the descriptions of said products. People still stole them and uploaded them to the workshop for their own private benefit. That is not okay.

(03-05-2015 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  If you let someone use your lawn mower and they turn around and sell it, then you have legal recourse.

However, if you make a song with a written and explicit agreement that they are using it for personal use, then they turn around and sell it, you can take legal action and will win in a civil court.

(03-05-2015 03:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  Do you have a legal agreement in writing that states the terms of use of your sounds? Consider

I do, just as the rest of the team.