No Morality without Christ

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-06-2011, 05:32 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2011 05:44 PM by Shannow.)
RE: No Morality without Christ
Lol...didn't realise we were such Harris fans here...probably worth noting before you blow both barrels on the poor guy, I shared the shortened TED debate, which is just a brief outline of his Moral Landscape concept.

For a thorough insight, you might want to set aside two hours for the full lecture...here.

In other news...As with everything else in any way relating to religion, scholars are divided on dating the ten commandments - Traditional Jews say around 1,000BC, you can see a couple of typical examples of Christian mathemtics here, these date it to around 1500 BC. A slightly more rational approach is that of the Higher Critics, who date it much later to around time of the Babylonian Exile of 569BC, which is where we get the first examples of a unifed Torah.

Even older than Hammurabi's Code, is the Sumerian Code of Ur-Nammu from 2050BC. It covers a broad range of subject matter including murder, slavery, removal of limbs, rape and farming. Interestingly robbery and murder both carried the death penalty in Sumeria...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-06-2011, 09:43 AM
RE: No Morality without Christ
Hey, Shannow.

Colour me impressed. I had no knowledge of Ur-Nammu or Urukagina. Cool. I guess they don't get as much press because they're not complete.

But it seems pretty clear that all three codes predate the Ten Commandments.

It's important to note that laws likely predate the codes, but these are the first written records of codified laws.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply