No More Computer Gaming For Christ's Sake!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2012, 01:21 PM

Sad No More Computer Gaming For Christ's Sake!
Yes, I used to play video games in the early 80’s, but it was different then. You actually had to go out of the house to do it, which meant at the very least on the way to the arcade and home, you had to interact with people, and if you walked to-and-fro you had time to think about things, imagine things, get bored in your mind so you mind would wander.

Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed. Without art there is no culture. Without culture there is no civilization. Without civilization there is no prosperity, no forward evolution, no actualized potential; all that remains is war, lust, greed, and mental illness. Already the signs of devolution are apparent.
Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 01:23 PM
RE: No More Computer Gaming For Christ's Sake!
(07-09-2012 01:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed.
Care to elaborate on that point?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2012, 01:29 PM
Dude you're so wrong it makes me laugh....xD Games give jobs, ideas, and social interaction better than the old days. The other day my friend in Europe talked to me on a game chat.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 4 users Like Question's post
07-09-2012, 01:41 PM
I play video games for at least 2 hours a day. My longest straight gaming session was 47.5 hours (sorry guys, but Saints Row the III and Skyrim... fuck!). I am one of the most peaceful guys you'd ever meet. I enjoy art and creativity. What the fuck you talkin' 'bout Willis?

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
07-09-2012, 01:42 PM

(07-09-2012 01:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 01:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed.
Care to elaborate on that point?

We've suckled the silicone boob of technology too long. We have what we need. It's time to look somewhere else.
07-09-2012, 01:43 PM

(07-09-2012 01:29 PM)Red Tornado Wrote:  Dude you're so wrong it makes me laugh....xD Games give jobs, ideas, and social interaction better than the old days. The other day my friend in Europe talked to me on a game chat.

That "friend" won't give you a ride to work, loan you lunch money or weep at your funeral. You see the damage already done? You call that person a friend.

You're so wrong it makes me weep! Weeping
07-09-2012, 01:44 PM
there're several studies that prove that gaming improves creativity and brain functions... of course they have a downside, but you try to name one thing that doesn't Sad

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424...83932.html

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM
(07-09-2012 01:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  Yes, I used to play video games in the early 80’s, but it was different then. You actually had to go out of the house to do it, which meant at the very least on the way to the arcade and home, you had to interact with people, and if you walked to-and-fro you had time to think about things, imagine things, get bored in your mind so you mind would wander.

While I do agree with the "there isn't any time to daydream" vibe in the first paragraph, the second is chock with problems.

Quote:Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed.

I would have to argue that gaming is a major cause for creativity. As a gamer and a hopefully future software developer, I struggle to keep up. The ingenuity and originality of the concepts of a lot of these games coming out are previously unseen. Games like Portal, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, LA Noire, and strangely, Batman, are mind expanding masterpieces and push the limitations of human creativity. I think that people are still daydreaming, only they're channeling those daydreams into programs for other people to experience.

Quote: Without art there is no culture. Without culture there is no civilization. Without civilization there is no prosperity, no forward evolution, no actualized potential; all that remains is war, lust, greed, and mental illness. Already the signs of devolution are apparent.[/align]

So video games equal war and insanity? Wow, that's not a huge, unsupported leap or anything. Well consider this. Without bacon, there is no BLT. With only lettuce and tomato, there is no source of protein. Without protein, humans become frail and unhealthy. And frail humans will eventually turn to cannibalism. So we need bacon to avoid cannibalism. So how that game works?

I don't even agree with your errant /align code.

And referring to the thread title, what does any of this have to do with Jesus?

Have you never played Bible Adventures for the NES? You, as Noah, had to run around collecting all the animals for the ark. For some reason, I played this as a child.

[Image: Bible_1.png]

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 4 users Like Buddy Christ's post
07-09-2012, 01:46 PM

(07-09-2012 01:41 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I play video games for at least 2 hours a day. My longest straight gaming session was 47.5 hours (sorry guys, but Saints Row the III and Skyrim... fuck!). I am one of the most peaceful guys you'd ever meet. I enjoy art and creativity. What the fuck you talkin' 'bout Willis?

Oh, I'm sure you are the most peacful, lethargic, flacid, weak, and lazy person I'd ever meet. And of course you enjoy art and creativity--someone had to make the games--but just like a using drug dealer will never become a successful member of the cartel, a gamer will never become a successful programmer.

Now that I've got you all upset, run back to your control stick and jerk it for a while. You'll feel much better.

Aren't you all glad I'm back! Yes
[+] 3 users Like Egor's post
07-09-2012, 01:50 PM
(07-09-2012 01:42 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(07-09-2012 01:23 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Care to elaborate on that point?

We've suckled the silicone boob of technology too long. We have what we need. It's time to look somewhere else.
What are we supposed to look at?