No More Computer Gaming For Christ's Sake!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
RE: No More Computer Gaming For Christ's Sake!
I've been told not to feed the troll. Egor's not a troll, he's The Circle!

(07-09-2012 01:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  Oh, I'm sure you are the most peacful, lethargic, flacid, weak, and lazy person I'd ever meet. And of course you enjoy art and creativity--someone had to make the games--but just like a using drug dealer will never become a successful member of the cartel, a gamer will never become a successful programmer.

'Videogames: bleeping, blooping masturbatory aids for emotionally crippled outcasts. Probably male outcasts, probably physically repugnant, sexually inexperienced, probably frightened of the real world, probably standing on this very here spot saying these very words. [...] Videogames are for losers like me, apparently.' - Charlie Brooker, Screenswipe, BBC

Thanks for playing that good old stereotype of gamers! Charlie Brooker did as well, but in a sardonic manner. What manner was yours?

(07-09-2012 01:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed. Without art there is no culture. Without culture there is no civilization. Without civilization there is no prosperity, no forward evolution, no actualized potential; all that remains is war, lust, greed, and mental illness. Already the signs of devolution are apparent.

Well, the video game industry kicked both movies and the music industry's ass, and takes a lot more creativity than just sucking a little bit of cock.

(07-09-2012 01:46 PM)Egor Wrote:  Now that I've got you all upset, run back to your control stick and jerk it for a while. You'll feel much better.

I won't "jerk it", but I will leave you with this:

"So, if you've never played a computer game, don't dismiss them; there are games for all mentalities. It's just that the good games are hidden behind a massive crude shoot-em-ups." -Fred Harris, Micro Live, BBC2

Not that I think Shoot-em-ups are bad. But I guess if you're going to take up another angle at your rant, this would probably be one of them you'd chose. *cues drum roll*

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
07-09-2012, 10:53 PM
(07-09-2012 01:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  ... all that remains is war...

One thing I've noticed about war... you have to go out of the house to participate.

Gaming provides virtual wars for those who enjoy that kinda thing. These people will atrophy and fail to breed ---> world peace. Hurrah!

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
08-09-2012, 12:00 AM
Oh yes, because the sports fan contributes so so much more to society...

[Image: couch_potato_cat.jpg]

"Go red socks! Hey bitch! get me another beer"

See I can make grossly ignorant generalizations about people who participate in one particular activity as well.

Lack creativity?
You were playing in the 80's right, so what did they have then? Pac Man?

[Image: pacman_game-1973.gif]

Oh yes, because the brain power to play such a game is far far far more then what games we have today...

[Image: victoria_screenshot_20090824112424_normal.jpg]

Have you even played recent games Egor?

Take MW3 for example. I am sure all you see is the pac man version, a player running around with a gun shooting players. What you don't see is the numbers that go into it, all the factors you have to take into account when playing. Do I go around this corner guns blazing? Do I throw a stun grenade? Will a stun grenade give away my position? Is a sniper looking at this location? Should I call in my BB now or not? What gun should I use? What perks, what kill streaks etc...?
And MW3 is one of the less thought straining games.
World of Warcraft, everyone's heard of that right?, there ares excel spreadsheets of data, best set-ups etc.. armor penetration v straight attack damage that sort of thing.

Video games are in no way a brain drain.
And they sure as hell don't lack creativity.

[Image: Limbo_Box_Art.jpg]

Quote: you had to interact with people

Yes because people who play video games never interact with people... ever...

God damn you are ignorant.
In game chat, clans, guilds, friend lists, headsets, LAN, multiplayer, talking points and an interest that joins people together.

Quote: and if you walked to-and-fro you had time to think about things, imagine things, get bored in your mind so you mind would wander.

Are you saying people these days are not bored enough?
Son, that doesn't make sense.

Quote:Today, the worst thing in the world is happening because of technology, the creative potential of youth is being systematically destroyed.

I don't know what youth you've been interacting with but if anything technology is expanding their minds. It's a growth economy, it encourages thinking bigger, thinking better, thinking of new ways to do this that and the other.
Technology makes it far easier for kids to be creative.
Look at my photoshop thread in this section (probably on page tow or three now), I never would have been able to do that sort of creativity without Photoshop.

The difference between today and yesterday is before I could dream it, but I would need some design dream to actually make it. Today you have 15year olds producing this amazing digital art. You have 15-16 year olds making small movies with all these effects. Hell, you have 1 person making games like Minecraft.

You are delusional if you think technology is ruining our creativity. It is allowing our creativity to become reality.

Video games for example, everything single one (even your pac man) started off as an imagine in a persons brain.

I personally really enjoy video games. They made me interested in history, they are the reaosn I like history so much. Without video games I very likely wouldn't be watching Discovery all day, I'd be watching E with my idiot flatmate.
What do you do for fun Egor? Watch TV? Read a book? Play sport?
Those all contribute as much to society as video games.
What culture and creativity does one get from playing sport? You have set positions, set rules, set plays. At least video games have story, have innovation, vary greatly from game to game. LoL is very different to Victoria 2 for example.
What about reading a book? Story. Well most video games have story. I'm playing GW2, that has a pretty good story actually. Large force threaten small force, world in danger, fight against all odds all that sort of stuff. Or how about Warcraft III, best story ever. In fact you got games now like Mass Effect for example that let you change the story, it becomes "your" story. You want to be a villain you can be, you want to be a Hero, you can be.
Watch TV? Well that's the exact same as reading a book.

Now I'm not saying video games are superior, but I'm not saying sports or books or TV is superior either. All in moderation. But I do not condone that video games are these evil monsters things that you claim them too be and quite frankly I am sick of old folks like yourself constantly knocking shit that they do not understand or use. Stick to your Coronation Street please.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 4 users Like earmuffs's post
08-09-2012, 12:25 AM
Egor, you're missing the most important point. When the alien invasion starts, these whippersnappers will be able to save humanity!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 5 users Like Erxomai's post
08-09-2012, 01:29 AM
(08-09-2012 12:25 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Egor, you're missing the most important point. When the alien invasion starts, these whippersnappers will be able to save humanity!

Excuse me! The zombie apocalypse.

Gezz, get it right.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
08-09-2012, 03:18 AM

Gamers
-Curing AIDS for all those non-gamers.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 2 users Like Logica Humano's post
08-09-2012, 11:01 PM
Focusing on the first part so we can pretend this thread isn't batshit, the modern technology someone makes people less social part... I grew up in the "parents put you outside for the day and forgot about you" era. Where children just roamed the neighborhood looking for something to do. I made forts, played pickup sports games, found a cow skull buried in a field, walked on railroad tracks until I was surrounded by farmland, used my cassette player to record interviews with random people. And yet, I still grew up with social anxiety and can barely look people in the eyes when I talk to them.

Modern day technology has made it possible for me to be a MORE sociable person. I have close friendships with people I only know from online gaming, and look at what this forum itself has afforded me. I can confess things and vocalize thoughts that I would never share with "real world" friends and family. The shared interests and natural anonymity grants me a freedom to converse with several people without having constant panic attacks.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
09-09-2012, 03:13 AM

Look, I hate people as much as the next person. But we have to keep trying or we're going to lose the game. If you're socially akward, fine, but don't confuse the social skills you use online as valid social skills. It's not the same thing. Online requires no courage or confidence--real world requires nothing but.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2012, 03:30 AM
(09-09-2012 03:13 AM)Egor Wrote:  Look, I hate people as much as the next person. But we have to keep trying or we're going to lose the game. If you're socially akward, fine, but don't confuse the social skills you use online as valid social skills. It's not the same thing. Online requires no courage or confidence--real world requires nothing but.

I agree with you Egor.

Awwww I was hoping for something with more substance.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
09-09-2012, 03:57 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2012 04:35 AM by Hamata k.)
(09-09-2012 03:13 AM)Egor Wrote:  Look, I hate people as much as the next person. But we have to keep trying or we're going to lose the game. If you're socially akward, fine, but don't confuse the social skills you use online as valid social skills. It's not the same thing. Online requires no courage or confidence--real world requires nothing but.

I CALL BULLSHIT!

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. Video games are by far one of thee most social things in existence. I know many people via games that I talk to and form real relationships with. Actual people doing actual talking about actual things. You want to find some pasty kid who cannot speak to anyone and spends all his time in the basement? You'll find that. Just like you'll find samples of extreme in anything you look at. Prime example. The westboro baptist church are delusional extremists, ergo all religious people are like that. See how that logic doesn't work?

I used to be the shyest kid ever with no understanding of morals or anything philosophical. DO you want to know what taught me these crucial things? Video games. You look at games and see mindless violence. Yes there are games that are pathetic dumps for mindless idiots. But there are also games like Blazblue which tells a very deep and innovative story far better than most books I've read.
There are games like Dark Souls while not having any real story it has Fantastic creatures and wondrous environments that no other means of entertainment could show. There are games such as Vanquish with it's cool and fast paced combat and interesting plot which greys the area of right and wrong and makes you think.

I could say more but to correct you completely but it would take time I do not care to spend. It is disappointing to see you say these things. I thought you were capable of better understanding than this.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 2 users Like Hamata k's post