No Shit Charlotte......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2016, 10:23 AM
RE: No Shit Charlotte......
(22-09-2016 10:11 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:06 AM)Impulse Wrote:  This is true, but only for some humans. Others present in the moment would walk away. It takes a certain mentality to be ok with destroying a random business over a completely unrelated event.

We're all prone to it, just in different contexts. Militaries are built on it, as are religions.

I think you're referring to "group think", but I was talking specifically about rioting and the targeting of random structures that have nothing to do with the object of the anger. I would disagree that we are all prone to that.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
22-09-2016, 10:29 AM
Let me get this straight. A black police officer from a police department headed by a black chief shot a black man who was armed and refused to drop his weapon and somehow this is all whitey's fault? Laugh out load

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
22-09-2016, 10:53 AM
(22-09-2016 10:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Let me get this straight. A black police officer from a police department headed by a black chief shot a black man who was armed and refused to drop his weapon and somehow this is all whitey's fault? Laugh out load

The family claim he was sitting in his car reading a book, waiting for his kid or something.

The police claim he had a gun not a book. They also claimed he resembled someone they were looking for.

I don't know if the police (regardless of color) are practicing the age old idea of CYA or not.

I do know the police do have body cameras but for whatever reason this police officer wasn't wearing one. Was that simply error or intentional?

Was this all just a horrible mistake on the part of the police that has been under increased scrutiny nationwide?

Whatever it is it's not a joke or very funny in that ironic way.

I think it's sad.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-09-2016, 10:57 AM
(22-09-2016 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do know the police do have body cameras but for whatever reason this police officer wasn't wearing one. Was that simply error or intentional?

He was in plainclothes. The bodycams the cops use are big, ugly, and obvious.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
22-09-2016, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2016 11:01 AM by Vosur.)
(22-09-2016 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:29 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Let me get this straight. A black police officer from a police department headed by a black chief shot a black man who was armed and refused to drop his weapon and somehow this is all whitey's fault? Laugh out load

The family claim he was sitting in his car reading a book, waiting for his kid or something.

The police claim he had a gun not a book. They also claimed he resembled someone they were looking for.

I don't know if the police (regardless of color) are practicing the age old idea of CYA or not.

I do know the police do have body cameras but for whatever reason this police officer wasn't wearing one. Was that simply error or intentional?

Was this all just a horrible mistake on the part of the police that has been under increased scrutiny nationwide?

I think it's sad.
I don't think it's funny that the guy was shot, I think it's funny that some of the protesters are trying to blame white people for this incident even though a hundred percent of the people involved in it were black. I mean, come on, there are protesters in Charlotte carrying signs that say stuff like "Black lives matter more than white supremacy" and "White silence = violence" (see below).

[Image: 160921213212-08-charlotte-protests-0921-super-169.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
22-09-2016, 11:08 AM
(22-09-2016 10:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The family claim he was sitting in his car reading a book, waiting for his kid or something.

I think it's sad.
I don't think it's funny that the guy was shot, I think it's funny that some of the protesters are trying to blame white people for this incident even though a hundred percent of the people involved in it were black. I mean, come on, there are protesters in Charlotte carrying signs that say stuff like "Black lives matter more than white supremacy" and "White silence [something] violence" (see below).

I think you've completely missed the point.

The point is police. This is about police over-stepping authority yet again.

I think the police departments have been honestly stretched too thin, officers are under too much stress and they aren't adequately trained or vetted psychologically. The racial makeup of the officers doesn't matter -- it's the overall atmosphere they're dealing with.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
22-09-2016, 11:10 AM
(22-09-2016 10:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I do know the police do have body cameras but for whatever reason this police officer wasn't wearing one. Was that simply error or intentional?

He was in plainclothes. The bodycams the cops use are big, ugly, and obvious.

Ah, that explains that. Thanks!

22-09-2016, 11:15 AM (This post was last modified: 22-09-2016 11:18 AM by GirlyMan.)
(22-09-2016 11:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think the police departments have been honestly stretched too thin, officers are under too much stress and they aren't adequately trained or vetted psychologically.

I don't think psychological vetting would have found anything wrong with the woman cop in Tulsa. She's probably a fine officer. This reminds of something out of Gladwell's Blink. Something just snapped. I bet she is more confused about what the fuck just happened than anybody else. In fact, a lot of these incidents remind me of something out of Blink.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
22-09-2016, 11:15 AM
In any case. Some kid got home from school. Dad dead.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
22-09-2016, 11:45 AM
(22-09-2016 10:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:53 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  The family claim he was sitting in his car reading a book, waiting for his kid or something.

I think it's sad.
I don't think it's funny that the guy was shot, I think it's funny that some of the protesters are trying to blame white people for this incident even though a hundred percent of the people involved in it were black. I mean, come on, there are protesters in Charlotte carrying signs that say stuff like "Black lives matter more than white supremacy" and "White silence = violence" (see below).

One person I heard on the BBC seemed to imply, in effect, that the officer that fired was a sort of "black white man".

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.