No Shit Charlotte......

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2016, 08:54 PM
RE: No Shit Charlotte......
Do we have clear reporting on whether there really was a gun or not? The reporting I've seen makes it look like the protesters have a point.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2016, 08:56 PM
(22-09-2016 08:54 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Do we have clear reporting on whether there really was a gun or not? The reporting I've seen makes it look like the protesters have a point.

My understanding is that it was a book.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
22-09-2016, 09:13 PM
(22-09-2016 08:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters." -- Terry Pratchett

For some reason I thought that Heinlein was the origin of this quote. I think I've found a new author to read from.

I thought that it was Heinlein too, though the quote that I recall was 'square root of the slowest member'.

You haven't read Pratchett?

He co-authored Good Omens with Neil Gaiman. It's a riot. Nation is also excellent.

If you're going to get into the DiscWorld series don't start at the beginning. Some of the earliest ones are a bit rough around the edges. Guards! Guards! should be right up your alley.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
22-09-2016, 09:29 PM
Earlier this morning the police chief in Charlotte said he would not release video of the event without a "compelling reason." Apparently showing rioters that the cops were telling the truth and thereby stop a riot is not "compelling" enough to this jackass. I must say that I interpreted that statement as meaning that the video did not support the police claims.

Later in the day he came out and said that "the Charlotte police chief, with the city staggered by two nights of violent protests after the fatal police shooting of a black man, said Thursday that a video of the episode did not definitively show the victim, Keith L. Scott, pointing a gun." In plain English that means that the man was not pointing a gun and most probably did not even have a gun.

Finally, this evening after the family got a chance to see the video the lawyer noted:

Quote:The wife and other relatives of the dead man, Keith L. Scott, watched his killing from two angles, recorded Tuesday by police dashboard and body cameras, and “it was incredibly difficult,” a family lawyer, Justin Bamberg, said in a statement.

He said the family had come away with more questions than answers and a different interpretation from the account offered by the police, who have said that Mr. Scott, 43, was shot after he got out of his car brandishing a gun.

“When told by police to exit his vehicle, Mr. Scott did so in a very calm, nonaggressive manner,” Mr. Bamberg said. “While police did give him several commands, he did not aggressively approach them or raise his hands at members of law enforcement at any time.” When an officer opened fire, he added, “Mr. Scott’s hands were by his side, and he was slowly walking backwards.”

Now I don't know which is the bigger liar but right now my money is on the police chief being full of fucking shit.

BTW, the trigger-happy pig in Tulsa was indicted for manslaughter today. I guess killing a black man is not a murder in Oklahoma. I'm surprised they didn't charge her with littering and give her a $25 fine!

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
22-09-2016, 09:51 PM
(22-09-2016 11:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 10:58 AM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't think it's funny that the guy was shot, I think it's funny that some of the protesters are trying to blame white people for this incident even though a hundred percent of the people involved in it were black. I mean, come on, there are protesters in Charlotte carrying signs that say stuff like "Black lives matter more than white supremacy" and "White silence [something] violence" (see below).

[Image: 160921213212-08-charlotte-protests-0921-super-169.jpg]

I think you've completely missed the point.

The point is police. This is about police over-stepping authority yet again.

I think the police departments have been honestly stretched too thin, officers are under too much stress and they aren't adequately trained or vetted psychologically. The racial makeup of the officers doesn't matter -- it's the overall atmosphere they're dealing with.

There was a really interesting episode of the Waking Up with Sam Harris podcast, where he had a very long conversation with Scott Reitz, former SWAT operator and lead weapons and tactics instructor for the LAPD Metro Division. He's a 30 year veteran, and arguably one of the most qualified police officers in the United States. Hearing a honest and leveled perspective from the other side, having an earnest conversation about the dangers that police can face and how they handle them; while also acknowledging that the current state of police overall is not good (lack of training), and the unfortunate fact that many people have no business being police officers. It was a very enlightening conversation.

This isn't meant to excuse police missteps, rather that listening to their conversation helped me to see the other side, and to correct a few assumptions that I had held before I listened to it.

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/behind-the-gun

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
23-09-2016, 05:55 AM
(22-09-2016 08:54 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  Do we have clear reporting on whether there really was a gun or not? The reporting I've seen makes it look like the protesters have a point.

Some here have missed the point of this thread,........

I don't have a problem with protesters.

Protesting is a cherished American form of self-expression.

Looting and rioting are not.

If you can't tell the difference you're just as big a cunt as somebody destroying personal property - just because you think you'll get away with it.

Hope this clears things up.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-09-2016, 10:11 AM
Rioters should be shot.
23-09-2016, 10:14 AM
i heard last night's protests were peaceful. I hope it continues.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
23-09-2016, 10:16 AM
(22-09-2016 09:13 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(22-09-2016 08:47 PM)Fireball Wrote:  "The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters." -- Terry Pratchett

For some reason I thought that Heinlein was the origin of this quote. I think I've found a new author to read from.

I thought that it was Heinlein too, though the quote that I recall was 'square root of the slowest member'.

You haven't read Pratchett?

He co-authored Good Omens with Neil Gaiman. It's a riot. Nation is also excellent.

If you're going to get into the DiscWorld series don't start at the beginning. Some of the earliest ones are a bit rough around the edges. Guards! Guards! should be right up your alley.

Yeah, go for it FB!

But once you get ready to open the book make sure you have at least a couple of hours to spare.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
23-09-2016, 10:46 AM
(23-09-2016 10:11 AM)Lucipurr Wrote:  Rioters should be shot.

Like that Olde Boston Massacre?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post