No Talk of Terrorism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2013, 05:10 PM
No Talk of Terrorism
Hello,

I am a little surprised that this website has not gone into the recent motives of the Boston terrorist attack being that the motives are primarily religious. Perhaps it is off-limits.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: No Talk of Terrorism
(23-04-2013 05:10 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  Hello,

I am a little surprised that this website has not gone into the recent motives of the Boston terrorist attack being that the motives are primarily religious. Perhaps it is off-limits.

As far as I know the motives are still unknown as the suspect can't really talk.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
23-04-2013, 05:18 PM
(23-04-2013 05:12 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  
(23-04-2013 05:10 PM)Katiegal Wrote:  Hello,

As far as I know the motives are still unknown as the suspect can't really talk.

According to the NY Times, the surviving brother stated that he and his brother were motivated by extremist Islamic beliefs. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/us/bos...wanted=all
I'm not really interested in going into some anti-Muslim rant, but it is good fodder for religious/atheistic discussions. I was just wondering.
23-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I dunno...it might have been an excuse to do something horrible.

Either way, it's all speculative.

And to be honest, I don't really care. Islam (radical or not) isn't going away.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-04-2013, 06:30 PM
We are currently lacking in Pro-Islamic posters so the conversation is very one sided and brief. Thats the main reason it is not being discussed.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
23-04-2013, 07:24 PM
[Image: 59624_600285779990805_1077444372_n.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
23-04-2013, 07:42 PM
(23-04-2013 07:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  [Image: 59624_600285779990805_1077444372_n.jpg]

Eh People are crazy. Crazy shit happens...not just by Muslims.

The world is a dangerous place. When my first was little there was a horrible Oklahoma city thing. He was watching cartoons and the station chose not to breakaway from cartoons to show what was going on. I called them and thanked them for that.

Bad crap happens. I can't think of a single decade that hasn't had crap happen in the last hundred plus years...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

23-04-2013, 08:32 PM
When you examine the motivations of people like these, you find that it isn't actually religion that causes them to do the things they do. What causes their actions is the mental injury they suffer at the hands of their caregivers as children.

While it's true that the most abusive parents are religious, it isn't the religion that causes the damage... it's the abuse.

In the end, arguing that Islam is a cause of terrorism is to argue that guns are a cause of murder.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
23-04-2013, 09:23 PM
The "liberal" was right, but not in the way he intended: terrorist was Muslim, so... what are we going to do about it? Destroy Islam? Start banning religions? Just ban everyone was is or ever was a Muslim from coming to the western hemisphere?

The only thing to do is what the government of America already does - investigate persons of concern, monitor contact with criminal organizations, monitor travel to places of concern, attempt to regulate explosives materials, provide security at high risk locations... They do it very effectively, and have stopped almost all plans over the last few decades. But there is always going to be something that slips through. The lone-wolf kind, like that of the brothers or Anders Breivik, is nearly impossible to predict and prevent.

There have been known planned attacks within the US at a rate of about 2 per year, most involving one man. Unless we constantly investigate and search the houses and computers of everyone who is Muslim for terrorist activities, the information that the guys were Muslim is pretty useless to us. Until someone tries to buy explosives, visit Afghanistan or Pakistan, or contact Al-Qaida, there is nothing to go on, and nothing to be done about them.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
23-04-2013, 09:56 PM
(23-04-2013 09:23 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  The only thing to do is what the government of America already does -

Why is it that reacting to planned events is the only thing that can be done?

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb