No True Metalhead Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2015, 06:08 PM
No True Metalhead Fallacy
I'm one of those 'not a real metalhead' kind of people who likes singers, classical instruments and formal composition. I don't like many of the popular groups, and I outright hate the music of many of those considered to be basic bands that every 'metalhead' is supposed to love.

Anyway, just for the sake of sakeness and sakes, I'm going to post my current favourite song from 5 of my favourite metal bands. You might be surprised by them if you have some time and want to listen. Bear in mind my love of certain metal bands is an offshoot of my love of classical and folk music. They'll be no screaming, thrashing or theistic satanism here :L
Might be a bit of intense shouting though~

Feel free to hate me for wasting forum space or something =3=
Maybe post up similar artists I might not have heard of? x3

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like Cetaceaphile's post
01-02-2015, 06:52 PM
RE: No True Metalhead Fallacy
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll take the risk.

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
(01-02-2015 06:52 PM)Harvey Wrote:  Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but I'll take the risk.

Very interesting song :O

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
02-02-2015, 12:10 PM
It seems like you prefer the sub genre "folk metal," but if you even just look at the number of sub genres, you'll see there's so much more than just Drowning Pool, Asking Alexandria or Slayer.

Personally, I think folk metal is really cool, but it's not my style so I don't actively search for it. I generally say around: metalcore, alternative, thrash, melodic, and progressive, but I have my outlier bands, just like everyone else.

Atir aissom atir imon
02-02-2015, 12:52 PM
If ya want kinda quirky/avant garde metal, take this:

[youtube] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEaYwyGa9fA [/youtube]
02-02-2015, 03:25 PM
I dislike the elitist saying of "You're not a true X (In this case, "metalhead")". I dislike elitism and classism - Basically creating categories for people to fit in and labelling some of them as superior and others as inferior. This happens virtually anywhere - In the music industry, cinema, videogames, literature, ANIME (I like anime but I hate a lot of fans).

I think I am a metalhead simply because I like metal music - I'm a huge Rock and Roll fan, and as such I love metal just like I love punk, hard rock, blues rock and other sub-genres of rock and roll. But I do dislike elitism among metalheads, particularly against people who like modern metal bands (example - Slipknot, Korn, System of a Down, Disturbed). I'm a metalhead as much as I'm a punk, or a blues fan, or a grunge fan, I fit all the labels, but I don't follow any particular code for any of those cultures.

I dislike the elitist "no true fan of X/no true X" because it divides fans and tries to categorize some of them as better and others as worse. I think people should embrace their pleasures, including "guilty" ones.

A good example of elitism in music are people who listen only to classical music (both classical in the original meaning of the word or classic rock or pop) and think people who listen to mainstream music are inferior, less smart or dumb. I do enjoy classic music, and classic rock, but I have some very guilty pleasures with catchy mainstream music (Gangnam style!).

Videogames is where I've felt the "not true fan" accusation more - You like the newer game of the series? Not a true fan! You prefer Skyrim to Morrowind? Not a true fan! You think modern games are better? Not a true fan? You like Call of Duty? That's trash, you're not a true gamer!

"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything" - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Blackout's post
02-02-2015, 03:54 PM
I grew up listening to metal but then when I reached 20 I discovered something far heavier and more intense. It was an age when people didn't have electric guitars, amplifiers or drum kits, all they had was a pen, paper and an orchestra.

Watch the conductor Mosh!!

[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
03-02-2015, 02:13 AM
(02-02-2015 03:54 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I grew up listening to metal but then when I reached 20 I discovered something far heavier and more intense. It was an age when people didn't have electric guitars, amplifiers or drum kits, all they had was a pen, paper and an orchestra.

Watch the conductor Mosh!!

I have a classical musician for a father so I sort of grew up the other way around :L

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
04-02-2015, 10:52 AM
I just saw Tyr and Turisas a couple months back. I've really jumped on the folk metal. Check out Metsatöll from Estonia, Korpiklaani and Wintersun form Finland, and my personal favorite right now Windir from Norway. I've been fortunate enough to see all these bands except Windir. The band is no longer around. The vocalist was found frozen to death, he was caught in a blizzard, hiking to his secluded cabin.
11-02-2015, 08:57 PM
(04-02-2015 10:52 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  I just saw Tyr and Turisas a couple months back. I've really jumped on the folk metal. Check out Metsatöll from Estonia, Korpiklaani and Wintersun form Finland, and my personal favorite right now Windir from Norway. I've been fortunate enough to see all these bands except Windir. The band is no longer around. The vocalist was found frozen to death, he was caught in a blizzard, hiking to his secluded cabin.

I wish they would come to my area :L

Was Tyr ok? I heard some people say they struggle with live stuff, but other people say they are perfect live, so I don't know. A concert ticket is expensive so I want as much information as possible xD

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.