No True Metalhead Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2015, 04:34 PM
RE: No True Metalhead Fallacy
(11-02-2015 08:57 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(04-02-2015 10:52 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  I just saw Tyr and Turisas a couple months back. I've really jumped on the folk metal. Check out Metsatöll from Estonia, Korpiklaani and Wintersun form Finland, and my personal favorite right now Windir from Norway. I've been fortunate enough to see all these bands except Windir. The band is no longer around. The vocalist was found frozen to death, he was caught in a blizzard, hiking to his secluded cabin.

I wish they would come to my area :L

Was Tyr ok? I heard some people say they struggle with live stuff, but other people say they are perfect live, so I don't know. A concert ticket is expensive so I want as much information as possible xD

I thought they were good. They get the whole crowd into the songs. When I saw them metsatöll opened for them and kinda stole the show in my opinion. Definitely still worth seeing if they do come to your area.

My wife hates the music I'm into. But she knows that I'm going to go to every show where the bands don't usually come around too often. You never know if a band is going to last very long. They're always changing personnel and money can become issues for some members so, I make it a point to try and see them all.

I live in San Diego and the metal here isn't all that great. A lot of bands skip over this spot. There is only one place here that books good bands and is really far from everything out in our mountains. I feel kinda bad for the bands that play there because it's not really a cool area of San diego but, the venue is nice. Of course there is anyways los Angeles but I can't stand found up there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2015, 09:40 PM
(12-02-2015 04:34 PM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  
(11-02-2015 08:57 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I wish they would come to my area :L

Was Tyr ok? I heard some people say they struggle with live stuff, but other people say they are perfect live, so I don't know. A concert ticket is expensive so I want as much information as possible xD

I thought they were good. They get the whole crowd into the songs. When I saw them metsatöll opened for them and kinda stole the show in my opinion. Definitely still worth seeing if they do come to your area.

My wife hates the music I'm into. But she knows that I'm going to go to every show where the bands don't usually come around too often. You never know if a band is going to last very long. They're always changing personnel and money can become issues for some members so, I make it a point to try and see them all.

I live in San Diego and the metal here isn't all that great. A lot of bands skip over this spot. There is only one place here that books good bands and is really far from everything out in our mountains. I feel kinda bad for the bands that play there because it's not really a cool area of San diego but, the venue is nice. Of course there is anyways los Angeles but I can't stand found up there.

I wish I could get out to see metal live, but I'm often stuck for cash because I basically make a direct living and only really earn enough to pay the bills. Seems like every time a band is in my area it's a month when I have less than no money.

I really want to get to see Alestorm this year, just hoping they do a repeat of their UK tour. They did one last year and everyone was saying they were going to do it again this year after getting back from America, but in my experience a lot of these things end up coming together at the last minute. Would be nice to have 6 months warning, but often nope xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
13-02-2015, 11:51 AM
Alestorm is going to be here next Friday. I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.
18-02-2015, 12:44 AM
Thanks, OP, now I'll have Caleb stuck in my head for the next several days, though I've had far worse. As for the idea that metalheads fit into this specific little niche, it is like saying all atheists have the same ideals and support the same things. I am similar in that I hate most of the screaming, but give me symphonic and folk metal and I'll be happy for days. My appreciation for metal came from my appreciation of classical music. After hearing several bands bridge the gap by throwing guitars, drums, etc. (Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Iron Maiden, etc) into the mix as a teen, I got really into groups like Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica, Sonata Arctica, and Apocalyptica. Nightwish happens to be my favorite band, and it is mostly because of the composition and marriage of classic, folk, and metal music. That being said, I'll never turn down a Killswitch Engage or Dark Tranquility concert.
[+] 2 users Like monch's post
18-02-2015, 05:13 AM
For completeness:

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
18-02-2015, 01:51 PM
(13-02-2015 11:51 AM)Ocean theRAPIST Wrote:  Alestorm is going to be here next Friday. I forgot about them. Thanks for the reminder.

Lucky bugger :L

(18-02-2015 12:44 AM)monch Wrote:  Thanks, OP, now I'll have Caleb stuck in my head for the next several days, though I've had far worse. As for the idea that metalheads fit into this specific little niche, it is like saying all atheists have the same ideals and support the same things. I am similar in that I hate most of the screaming, but give me symphonic and folk metal and I'll be happy for days. My appreciation for metal came from my appreciation of classical music. After hearing several bands bridge the gap by throwing guitars, drums, etc. (Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Iron Maiden, etc) into the mix as a teen, I got really into groups like Within Temptation, Nightwish, Epica, Sonata Arctica, and Apocalyptica. Nightwish happens to be my favorite band, and it is mostly because of the composition and marriage of classic, folk, and metal music. That being said, I'll never turn down a Killswitch Engage or Dark Tranquility concert.
It's a shame these groups generally don't get more recognition. There seems to be something fundamentally compatible between Metal, Folk and Classical. Really metal was what happened when classical and folk were combined by common men who only learned simple instruments. Even going back to the first metal albums they are surprisingly folkish and have a lot of classical elements. Led Zeppelin for example is one that today sounds more like folk music than what metal has become now, but it's basically the grandfather of metal.
Though it seems like a lot of people don't really understand it. Just the other day I linked someone to The Poet And The Pendulum and they said "sounds like pussy metal with some high school orchestra", then when I said actually it is a world leading metal band being backed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra and LPO connected The Voices choir group they were like "pff whatever, I don't even like metal." so on what grounds to even call it 'pussy metal' or 'not proper metal'? Doesn't make sense, but seems that people don't like to make sense. lol

(18-02-2015 05:13 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  For completeness:

No true metalhead would listen to that :L

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
28-03-2015, 06:55 PM
(02-02-2015 03:54 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  I grew up listening to metal but then when I reached 20 I discovered something far heavier and more intense. It was an age when people didn't have electric guitars, amplifiers or drum kits, all they had was a pen, paper and an orchestra.

Watch the conductor Mosh!!

Looks like somebody hasn't been to Meshuggah gig yet...

If you want to headbang, go for Thrash or Death Metal. But if you're gonna play something, nothing is more satisfying than Prog
http://www.metalstorm.net/pub/fun_comments.php?fun_id=3

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 2 users Like ELK12695's post
28-03-2015, 10:42 PM
(28-03-2015 06:55 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Looks like somebody hasn't been to Meshuggah gig yet...

Caught them opening for Tool. Hadn't heard of them til then, heavy as fuck, though.

Problem is I can't listen to more than three songs from Meshuggah before the constant time changes start to give me a headache. Prog is always good....in any genre. Have you checked these guys out?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-03-2015, 11:33 PM
Symponic/melodic metal nerd reporting in. Like others before me, I've also adopted a love for orchestrated pieces, usually with haunting operatic/choral vocals.

Any of you know about Serenity?

29-03-2015, 05:23 AM
(28-03-2015 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 06:55 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Looks like somebody hasn't been to Meshuggah gig yet...

Caught them opening for Tool. Hadn't heard of them til then, heavy as fuck, though.

Problem is I can't listen to more than three songs from Meshuggah before the constant time changes start to give me a headache. Prog is always good....in any genre. Have you checked these guys out?

That sounds awesome what you've sent me. As for getting headaches from Meshuggah's stuff, I know, but I've hardly ever done something as fun as playing Haake's polyrythms.

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."
[+] 1 user Likes ELK12695's post