No True Metalhead Fallacy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2015, 06:25 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 10:28 AM by Alex K.)
RE: No True Metalhead Fallacy
(01-02-2015 06:08 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  I'm one of those 'not a real metalhead' kind of people who likes singers, classical instruments and formal composition.

I don't like many of the popular groups, and I outright hate the music of many of those considered to be basic bands that every 'metalhead' is supposed to love.

Anyway, just for the sake of sakeness and sakes, I'm going to post my current favourite song from 5 of my favourite metal bands. You might be surprised by them if you have some time and want to listen. Bear in mind my love of certain metal bands is an offshoot of my love of classical and folk music. They'll be no screaming, thrashing or theistic satanism here :L
Might be a bit of intense shouting though~

Feel free to hate me for wasting forum space or something =3=
Maybe post up similar artists I might not have heard of? x3

Hello there!

I'm quite a tyr fan, although I am disappointed by their too conventional recent offerings. I think as far as composition and structure goes this is one of their most interesting songs. It features a kind of long crescendo throughout the song akin to the bolero, and an ostinato like chord progression.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
29-03-2015, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2015 10:27 AM by Alex K.)
Tongue RE: No True Metalhead Fallacy
So... which ones do you hate? Big Grin

How 'bout those guys?

or something more panagish

03-04-2015, 01:53 PM
You should check out Nevermore. I think they've officially disbanded, but they have 7 albums from 1995 to 2010 and they are all fantastic. Their lead singer was operatically trained and their lead guitarist is one of those classical-virtuoso types. Their lyrics are very political and very anti-religious. They're definitely one of my favorites.

Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
[+] 1 user Likes StrangestTribe's post
03-04-2015, 02:17 PM
(03-04-2015 01:53 PM)StrangestTribe Wrote:  You should check out Nevermore. I think they've officially disbanded, but they have 7 albums from 1995 to 2010 and they are all fantastic. Their lead singer was operatically trained and their lead guitarist is one of those classical-virtuoso types. Their lyrics are very political and very anti-religious. They're definitely one of my favorites.

Love Nevermore!!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
03-04-2015, 08:51 PM
Re: No True Metalhead Fallacy
(28-03-2015 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 06:55 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  Looks like somebody hasn't been to Meshuggah gig yet...

Caught them opening for Tool. Hadn't heard of them til then, heavy as fuck, though.

Problem is I can't listen to more than three songs from Meshuggah before the constant time changes start to give me a headache. Prog is always good....in any genre. Have you checked these guys out?

This just got me thinking.. I saw Meshuggah opening for Tool- a long time ago. I liked them (Meshuggah) live but couldn't really get into their album.
03-04-2015, 10:57 PM
(03-04-2015 08:51 PM)mecanna Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Caught them opening for Tool. Hadn't heard of them til then, heavy as fuck, though.

Problem is I can't listen to more than three songs from Meshuggah before the constant time changes start to give me a headache. Prog is always good....in any genre. Have you checked these guys out?

This just got me thinking.. I saw Meshuggah opening for Tool- a long time ago. I liked them (Meshuggah) live but couldn't really get into their album.

We must have caught the same tour. Got a question, if you remember.

One thing that irked me about the Tool show is that Maynard performed pretty much the whole show on a little raised stage on the side which was in the dark and he was facing away from the crowd like Jim Morrison at an early Doors gig. He never did engage the crowd except for his vocal performance. I'm just wondering if it was part of his performance, or if he just didn't like being in kansas and it was his way of protesting. Blush

I love the guy either way, just wish I could have seen Maynard at his best instead of disengaged. Wondering if you remember whether or not it was like that at the show you saw.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
03-04-2015, 11:19 PM
(03-04-2015 01:53 PM)StrangestTribe Wrote:  You should check out Nevermore. I think they've officially disbanded, but they have 7 albums from 1995 to 2010 and they are all fantastic. Their lead singer was operatically trained and their lead guitarist is one of those classical-virtuoso types. Their lyrics are very political and very anti-religious. They're definitely one of my favorites.

Jeff Loomis the main guitarist form Nevermore is still putting out awesome riffage and insane lead material. This is just a small sample of what he's on.

~ Umberto Eco
04-04-2015, 02:16 AM
Aaah, Nevermore! Awesome, I listened so much to those guys when I was young(er), especially Politics of Extasy and Dead Heart...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
04-04-2015, 03:11 AM
I like a good bass line and a guitar rift, but I've always been a fan melody and clear vocals. So ultimately, the heaviest stuff I've ever gotten into has been Filter, Lacuna Coil, Alice in Chains, Rob Zombies & co., etc. Still, even I don't listen to this stuff terribly often.

I love this song, as it's actually a two song combo with the first 2:30 being a slow build intro for the second.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-04-2015, 06:00 AM
(03-04-2015 08:51 PM)mecanna Wrote:  
(28-03-2015 10:42 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Caught them opening for Tool. Hadn't heard of them til then, heavy as fuck, though.

You can try some of their more experimental stuff

This is them, no joke

If that doesn't work, try Exodus

[Image: 20cad83ad8d757191e2878b0f4bf05a9.png]
"Don't answer that. A rhetorical question."