No True Muslim
No True Anarchist
[Show Results]

No True Scotsman

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2015, 09:42 PM
No True Scotsman
Calling it 'No True Scotsman' doesn't seem to really apply to the modern world.

What should it be renamed to?

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-01-2015, 09:44 PM
RE: No True Scotsman
No True Christian

It’s all I ever hear from the peanut gallery when they crucify their own.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
29-01-2015, 09:55 PM
'No True Idol'
Scour the world for contestants to compete for the title...
'Worlds Biggest Phoney!'.
29-01-2015, 09:55 PM
I've never heard the "no true metalhead" argument before, and I don't know any anarchists... But I'm hearing the other two a lot lately...

"No true Muslim" comes out every time there's a terrorist attack, which are thankfully rare.

But "no true feminist" comes out every time there's a video game, book, movie, magazine, newspaper or anything remotely entertaining on TV.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post
29-01-2015, 09:59 PM
They lost their chance at independence now you want to rob them of their fallacy example? poor scotts Weeping

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
29-01-2015, 10:02 PM
(29-01-2015 09:55 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've never heard the "no true metalhead" argument before, and I don't know any anarchists... But I'm hearing the other two a lot lately...

"No true Muslim" comes out every time there's a terrorist attack, which are thankfully rare.

But "no true feminist" comes out every time there's a video game, book, movie, magazine, newspaper or anything remotely entertaining on TV.

I don't use the 'metalhead' label myself, but I listen to a lot of metal music so I encounter it all the time. You can be 'not a real metalhead' for any reason from only listening to folk metal, to not liking folk metal, to preferring singing over growling xD

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
29-01-2015, 10:07 PM
(29-01-2015 10:02 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 09:55 PM)Sam Wrote:  I've never heard the "no true metalhead" argument before, and I don't know any anarchists... But I'm hearing the other two a lot lately...

I don't use the 'metalhead' label myself, but I listen to a lot of metal music so I encounter it all the time. You can be 'not a real metalhead' for any reason from only listening to folk metal, to not liking folk metal, to preferring singing over growling xD

Folk metal?

This I gotta see...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
29-01-2015, 10:42 PM
(29-01-2015 09:55 PM)Sam Wrote:  ...every time there's a terrorist attack, which are thankfully rare.

No, the news reports on them are rare. We mostly just hear about the ones that cause harm to westerners or spur massive riots.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#Attacks

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
29-01-2015, 10:57 PM
(29-01-2015 10:42 PM)cactus Wrote:  
(29-01-2015 09:55 PM)Sam Wrote:  ...every time there's a terrorist attack, which are thankfully rare.

No, the news reports on them are rare. We mostly just hear about the ones that cause harm to westerners or spur massive riots.
http://www.thereligionofpeace.com/index.html#Attacks

No true terrorist would attack anywhere other than the West...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
[+] 5 users Like Sam's post
30-01-2015, 03:28 AM
(29-01-2015 09:42 PM)Cetaceaphile Wrote:  Calling it 'No True Scotsman' doesn't seem to really apply to the modern world.

What should it be renamed to?

Since the term was introduced in 1975, I don't see that it "doesn't seem to really apply to the modern world."

Wikipedia Wrote:The introduction of the term is attributed to British philosopher Antony Flew, who in his 1975 book, Thinking About Thinking, wrote:

Imagine Hamish McDonald, a Scotsman, sitting down with his Glasgow Morning Herald and seeing an article about how the "Brighton [(England)] Sex Maniac Strikes Again". Hamish is shocked and declares that "No Scotsman would do such a thing". The next day he sits down to read his Glasgow Morning Herald again; and, this time, finds an article about an Aberdeen [(Scotland)] man whose brutal actions make the Brighton sex maniac seem almost gentlemanly. This fact shows that Hamish was wrong in his opinion but is he going to admit this? Not likely. This time he says, "No true Scotsman would do such a thing".

Of course, we riff on the term all the time. I particularly like 'no true terrorist'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post