No atheist heroes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2011, 02:44 AM (This post was last modified: 22-06-2011 03:09 AM by ghostexorcist.)
No atheist heroes
Here is a report about a street being renamed in honor of fallen firefighters. Atheists objected to the renaming because of the religious nature. The author thinks this is because we are jealous over not having an impressive list of heroes like the Christians do. I don't recall ever paying homage to Mao Zedong for his deeds.

http://www.hannity.com/article/atheists-...aven/13755

Check out the comments at the bottom. The one about atheists trying to "proselytize their own system of (non?)belief" made me chuckle. You know how we like to go door-to-door on Saturday morning asking if the homeowners had accepted "Skepticism" into their life.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2011, 06:44 AM
RE: No atheist heroes
I do agree with them that we shouldn't try to force a change in the street naming but the way the paper and the commentors view atheists is disturbing. There is nothing wrong with having some religious references, I live in a part of St. Louis where every street is named after a St. and my city is a saint anyway. The basic issue proposed by the article would be sound if they just kept this attack of how Atheists don't have heroes out. We do have heroes, many of which did not claim themselves as atheists due to cultural ramifications. Our heroes are those who pushed secular understanding of the world whether religious or not, whether they meant to or not. Our heroes are those who made knowledge more attainable. We also have heroes who stood up to religion and worked to make a change, and who still do. I'm surprised he didn't name Hitchens since I would expect most chirstians to think we see him as our savior =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 11:44 AM
Personally I do not think religion warrants a social license just because people died. I do thank them for it, but lines have to be drawn, we have places for remembrance.
22-06-2011, 12:56 PM
No, they are right. There are no atheists to look up to from any period in history.

Sincerely,
Thomas Jefferson
Benjamin Franklin
Ferdinand Magellan
Samuel Clemens
Abraham Lincoln
Carl Sagan
and on and on and on

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
22-06-2011, 01:16 PM
hehehehe I like how they forgot to use Jesus as an example of a hero .. Instead they choose...

1. A devout religious woman kill by a religious court for having the wrong flavor of religion.
2. A guy that caught a mythical creature and used it as extortion to get the people to convert to his religion.
3. Kirk Cameron... a complete idiot.

Really? This is the best you can come up with? With heroes like this who needs religion?

I think the really fun part is to read the comments....

"Its funny how atheists want everyone to think the way they think. Its kinda like a religion of sorts. Talk about irony."

This guy should study his hero's....

"Someone should point out that taking specific action to remove religious references in our culture would be equally discriminatory to those Americans who do hold religious views. Consider this: many government agencies are required to employ a certain, minimum number of minority or disabled Americans so that, among other purposes, the gov. can prove by example that it isn't discriminating against those demographic groups. So wouldn't a policy of total absence of religious references discriminate against religious Americans in favor of non-religious Americans such as these Atheists?"

wow... really.. just wow... hmm I wonder if she would say the same if they were naming it "72 virgin way"... or "Allah Sky View"?

If you want to see them contradict everything they say here... just search for "new york mosque".

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.” Orson Welles
22-06-2011, 01:29 PM
UM... Kirk Cameron is fricken epic. EPIC.

http://youtu.be/FYQjpwoe5KM

[Image: Heart%20throb.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-06-2011, 09:52 PM
I would definitely live on 72 virgin way, that would just be awesome

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
22-06-2011, 11:19 PM
Tillman!