No atheist will be spared

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2017, 06:38 PM
No atheist will be spared
Mammazon finally zapped me too.

My two posts in the past two weeks were, quote; "Thank you for not overreacting", and a quick reminder that 'The Good Fight' had begun on Wolf's tv-thread.
Completely unforgivable.
Meanwhile 'pooh p pantz' is still active.......

(sigh) I was going to hedge my bets and see if the problems on mammazon would die down but it's obviously not an option anymore.
---------

I think I've always been an atheist. Thanks to friends, parents and grandparents, I grew up with basic knowledge of Christianity, Islam and Æserne (The Aesir). So when primary started and one story was asserted as indisputable truth, I was confused.
I didn't dismiss it offhand, because I knew human beings were honest; valuing objective truth above all else. Clearly there was a good reason people were telling me these things and an equally good reason for why they would not explain the parts that confused me.
A few years of school disabused me of that notion. Largely due to my cousin being taken by a predator around the time.
I didn't blame god for what happened, but it was now logically proven that if s/he existed s/he was useless. If s/he wouldn't save a child - whose family were devout Christians praying like never before - then what exactly was s/he good for?
A question which prompted a brief examination of what separates people with a god, and those without. And I found the world to be the same for everybody - making religion an empty shell, inflated by the religious staking patents on everything good in life as if they owned it.

From what I could tell there were two kinds of Christians. 1) Hypocrites who go through the motions for some personal reason.
Group 2 is best defined by Tom, a kid my age in the neighborhood whose dad lost his job. Without income they had to move far away to live with distant relatives. So Tom did what powerless people in a pinch usually does, prayed. Specifically for money.
The day before moving he found a 20$ bill, waving it in my face, saying - without irony - it was proof "god" answered prayers.
In retrospect I could have pointed out that "god's" answer was practically an insult under the circumstances. That, and explaining to him how someone else had lost money in order for him to gain it, didn't occur to me.
I was blinded by the realisation that Tom was f-n crazy. (Not the way I'd put it today. The volume he was talking at, and the way he stared at me and the 20 had me convinced at the time.)

I have never argued with the religious face to face. It' hasn't been worth it. I don't know if I'm right and I've never claimed to be, but the older I get religion only looks more and more ridiculous to me.
Joining the amazon forum a few years ago is the first time I've talked seriously with anyone about belief. It has been illuminating and I hope to further that experience here.

End of belated introduction.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 17 users Like M. Linoge's post
27-02-2017, 06:49 PM
RE: No atheist will be spared
Hello! Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
27-02-2017, 06:54 PM
Welcome!
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
27-02-2017, 06:55 PM
(27-02-2017 06:38 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Mammazon finally zapped me too.

That's now a badge of honor.

I think religious people are mostly ordinary people who are wishful thinkers. Plus a certain number are outright liars, who say they know things which they haven't even researched properly.
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-02-2017, 06:57 PM
Welcome, if I didn't say it in the refugee thread!
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
27-02-2017, 06:58 PM
Welcome!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
27-02-2017, 07:04 PM
(27-02-2017 06:55 PM)Jay Vogelsong Wrote:  
(27-02-2017 06:38 PM)M. Linoge Wrote:  Mammazon finally zapped me too.

That's now a badge of honor.

I think religious people are mostly ordinary people who are wishful thinkers. Plus a certain number are outright liars, who say they know things which they haven't even researched properly.

I'm inclined to agree. My early impressions were harsh, and kept me from talking about it for most of my life.

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
27-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Welcome! I relate to a lot of what you said, I actually worked for a ""Christian" employer that deliberately broke the law, that kind of thing stays with you more than a thousand sermons.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
27-02-2017, 07:20 PM
(27-02-2017 07:11 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Welcome! I relate to a lot of what you said, I actually worked for a ""Christian" employer that deliberately broke the law, that kind of thing stays with you more than a thousand sermons.

A lot of Christians just go with the flow for the material and social advantages. I remember quite well feeling pressured by such obvious enticements when I was young.
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
27-02-2017, 07:23 PM
Welcome!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post