No celestial teachers and advice in the Bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2013, 12:56 PM
No celestial teachers and advice in the Bible?
Isn't Judo-Christian mythology pretty unique in not having deity that taught humans to farm, herd, crafts etc?
I might be wrong (haven't red and I'm not going to read the "good book" myself, that's why I'm asking), but it seem to be the case - no advice from God, only restrictions. Which is weird, Greeks, Babylonians, Aztecs and all others seem to had stories of some god or another benevolent immortal being teaching humans how to make living and improve their lives.
While in Christianity quite contrary, according to some beliefs (not sure if those are in the Bible) those were daemons - Azazel, one of the fallen angels, who gave some useful advice (or evil, depends... those were mirrors, make-up, abortions, warfare).So, am I right of this being the case?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2013, 01:43 PM
RE: No celestial teachers and advice in the Bible?
Good point.

And welcome to TTA Forums.

I think the reason you're looking for is that the other religions you mentioned were pantheons. Sticking with just the Greeks since they're the most familiar to most of us, it wasn't Ares who taught Greeks farming or crafting. Other gods (and titans and other mythological critters in their stories) taught that stuff.

The Christian god, Yahweh, was a war god of the Canaanites who "evolved" into the monotheistic god of the Israelites. (Yes, I know, that's super-simplified but it's been discussed here in plenty of threads).

So ultimately, it wasn't Yahweh's job to teach this stuff to anyone - there were other gods in his pantheon who had those responsibilities. Once the Israelites created monotheistic faith around him, they already had the knowledge of these simple things and didn't need it taught again. Heck, they didn't really need him for anything other than kicking butt on their war-mongering neighbors.

From there, he evolved into his kinder, gentler, New-Testament self, long after the need for such basic skills had passed, and all he really had left to teach us was answers about why we're here and where we're going when we die.

He didn't even get that right - it's the most unclear, useless textbook I've ever seen. If it weren't for the oral traditions of the early followers, we wouldn't even have that.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post