No diploma for Atheists in AZ if the fundees have their way...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: No diploma for Atheists in AZ if the fundees have their way...
LH, your response has absolutely nothing to do with my statement whatsoever, and it presumed quite a bit for my simple statement, but I know you were waiting for an excuse to use your pol. cartoon. Meh, whatever.

Drek.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 01:59 PM
"So help me God" isn't a declaration of belief in God. An atheist can say it and still be an atheist.

Sure, its a silly for an atheist to say, but so is making a stink about it.

Since 08-01-2015 I have forgiven 19 unprovoked insults directed at me in this forum. In each case, I just turned the other cheek at let it go.
25-07-2013, 02:07 PM
(25-07-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "So help me God" isn't a declaration of belief in God. An atheist can say it and still be an atheist.

We know "so help me god" isn't a declaration of belief but people shouldn't be forced to say it.

It isn't silly to call these morons on their violations of the rights of citizens.

I think this treads on the Establishment Clause.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
25-07-2013, 02:25 PM
(25-07-2013 02:07 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 01:59 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  "So help me God" isn't a declaration of belief in God. An atheist can say it and still be an atheist.

We know "so help me god" isn't a declaration of belief but people shouldn't be forced to say it.

It isn't silly to call these morons on their violations of the rights of citizens.

Suppose the "So help me God" part was left out. Would you be okay forcing people to say the rest of the oath?

Since 08-01-2015 I have forgiven 19 unprovoked insults directed at me in this forum. In each case, I just turned the other cheek at let it go.
25-07-2013, 02:28 PM
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:07 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  We know "so help me god" isn't a declaration of belief but people shouldn't be forced to say it.

Suppose the "So help me God" part was left out. Would you be okay forcing people to say the rest of the oath?

I'd think it was a waste of time and unnecessary government (from the party of "small" government lawl) but it would not be a direct violation of the constitution, no.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
25-07-2013, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 25-07-2013 02:41 PM by KidCharlemagne1962.)
(25-07-2013 02:07 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  We know "so help me god" isn't a declaration of belief but people shouldn't be forced to say it.

I am really not big on oaths/pledges. I don't see how they would stop somebody from doing the opposite of what the oath states.

During the McCarthy era I doubt any KGB agent would have refused to take any oath or say the pledge.

I certainly don't see a reason for one to obtain a diploma the person ostensibly earned.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-07-2013, 02:42 PM
(25-07-2013 02:31 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose the "So help me God" part was left out. Would you be okay forcing people to say the rest of the oath?

I am really not big on oaths/pledges. I don't see how they would stop somebody from doing the opposite of what the oath states.

During the McCarthy era I doubt any KGB agent would have refused to take any oath or say the pledge.

I certainly don't see a reason for one to obtain a diploma the person onstensibly earned.

But if they took the "So help me God" part out of it, you wouldn't bother to make a stink about it right?

Anarchists should have a bigger problem with this oath then atheists.

25-07-2013, 02:44 PM
(25-07-2013 02:42 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:31 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  I am really not big on oaths/pledges. I don't see how they would stop somebody from doing the opposite of what the oath states.

I certainly don't see a reason for one to obtain a diploma the person onstensibly earned.

But if they took the "So help me God" part out of it, you wouldn't bother to make a stink about it right?

Anarchists should have a bigger problem with this oath then atheists.

I still don't like it, with or without that statment. I would do what I can to stop it in either case. Sorry I should have added that to my reply.

David Hume
25-07-2013, 02:45 PM

No. This has nothing to do with getting a high school diploma.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
25-07-2013, 02:56 PM
(25-07-2013 02:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 02:25 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Suppose the "So help me God" part was left out. Would you be okay forcing people to say the rest of the oath?

No. This has nothing to do with getting a high school diploma.

Oaths are only meaningful if they are enforced. This oath will never be enforced. In the end this is just one of many silly cultural exercises. I don't see why atheists, people who have no belief in God, should get worked up about it. Only God haters have a strong reason.