No diploma for Atheists in AZ if the fundees have their way...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-07-2013, 08:29 PM
RE: No diploma for Atheists in AZ if the fundees have their way...
(25-07-2013 08:21 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 07:38 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  You're confused. Theism is not religion.

Well, this should be good.

How is it not, then?

Religion requires worship. Theism does not.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-07-2013, 09:05 PM
(25-07-2013 08:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Religion requires worship. Theism does not.

I suppose that distinction can be made. It isn't made by any of the dictionaries I've just consulted, all of which agree that religion is defined by holding beliefs as opposed to performing specific acts; of course the two are different things, but one cannot simply use the words 'religion' and 'theism' to differentiate the two, without explicitly defining them as such, since it is such an atypical usage...

That is, likewise, an odd use of the word 'theism'; that is to say - how are you defining it? Because belief in a god to whom neither prayer nor any devotional service is necessary is conventionally termed deism.

I have never heard of a non-religious theist.

... this is my signature!
25-07-2013, 09:11 PM
(25-07-2013 09:05 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 08:29 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Religion requires worship. Theism does not.

I suppose that distinction can be made. It isn't made by any of the dictionaries I've just consulted, all of which agree that religion is defined by holding beliefs as opposed to performing specific acts; of course the two are different things, but one cannot simply use the words 'religion' and 'theism' to differentiate the two, without explicitly defining them as such, since it is such an atypical usage...

That is, likewise, an odd use of the word 'theism'; that is to say - how are you defining it? Because belief in a god to whom neither prayer nor any devotional service is necessary is conventionally termed deism.

I have never heard of a non-religious theist.

The definition of "religion" was provided by Chas in post 59 of this thread. If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. I think its a good definition though....religion always involves worship, following a creed, etc...at least in my experience.

A quick and dirty definition of theism is "belief in God".

25-07-2013, 09:34 PM
(25-07-2013 09:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The definition of "religion" was provided by Chas in post 59 of this thread.

Okay, sure. That's a more specific definition than the ones I've just come across, but we'll go with that.

(25-07-2013 09:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. I think its a good definition though....religion always involves worship, following a creed, etc...at least in my experience.

That's incomplete. For that to mean anything one must first define God.

For several centuries now the distinction is generally made between a god who created things (deism) and a god who still does things (theism) - as only one of tho two is something that may be meaningfully interacted with.

... this is my signature!
25-07-2013, 10:36 PM
(25-07-2013 09:34 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(25-07-2013 09:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The definition of "religion" was provided by Chas in post 59 of this thread.

Okay, sure. That's a more specific definition than the ones I've just come across, but we'll go with that.

(25-07-2013 09:11 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If you have a problem with it, take it up with him. I think its a good definition though....religion always involves worship, following a creed, etc...at least in my experience.

That's incomplete. For that to mean anything one must first define God.

For several centuries now the distinction is generally made between a god who created things (deism) and a god who still does things (theism) - as only one of tho two is something that may be meaningfully interacted with.

I agree that theism refers to a deity which creates and interacts with the world while deism refers to deity which merely creates.