No excuses

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2014, 12:15 AM
RE: No excuses
(31-12-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(30-12-2014 11:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Steam sales are statistically showing to be a negative income act upon the gaming developers industry.

Do you have a link for that? All I've ever seen is indie developers praise Steam whenever their title gets a front page sale, allowing them to move far more units and bringing in an instant wellspring of income for them.

No clue where to find it again. I heard it and found some info on it from the last 2 months or so in a couple different gaming podcasts. It may be boosting reputation for some companies but bottom lines don't really rise despite larger sales since people are basically being programmed to actively wait to buy games once they're on sale.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
31-12-2014, 12:17 AM
So I'm not sure what the threat is. I don't game and I don't facepage.

Suck it, muffs.

Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
31-12-2014, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2014 08:09 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(31-12-2014 12:15 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 12:06 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Do you have a link for that? All I've ever seen is indie developers praise Steam whenever their title gets a front page sale, allowing them to move far more units and bringing in an instant wellspring of income for them.

No clue where to find it again. I heard it and found some info on it from the last 2 months or so in a couple different gaming podcasts. It may be boosting reputation for some companies but bottom lines don't really rise despite larger sales since people are basically being programmed to actively wait to buy games once they're on sale.

Right. So is that a problem with Steam, or a problem with the industry's obsession with bloated budgets and development cycles? If you were to have asked me if I thought AAA development was getting downright ridiculous, and only looks to get worse rather than better, I'd whole hardheartedly agree with you. Some of the most fun I've had have been with budget titles, stuff like PAYDAY 2 ($20 MSRP) or Killingfloor (MSRP $20), both of which are regularly on sale (at $10 or lower) and of which I have over 1200 hours of combined play time between them.

PAYDAY 2 was developed by Overkill Software, formed out of the remnants of GRINN after SqaureEnix reneged on their contract and left them out in the cold and the studio folded into bankruptcy. They're currently a small and hungry independent developer, and they've seen success by developing a game that is fun and engaging, and they have continuously supported their product with a stream of updates that include both paid and free content.

Killingfloor comes from Tripwire Interactive, another inde developer who actually started out as a mod team. The original KF was developed by just 10 people in 3 months and was released as a Unreal Tournament 2004 mod. Since then the team has expanded and they've brought more people onto the team for their projects, which have won near universal acclaim and have been able to compete with big-boys in he competitive multiplayer-FPS PC market (their other properties are the Red Orchestra series and it's offshoot Rising Storm). Once again this game, released back in 2008, has seen continuous updates up to and including the addition of two new maps for just this past holiday event (they do themed events every summer, fall, and winter).

So yeah, you don't need massive teams with insane budgets and bloated marketing to turn a profit in the industry. That being said, I've read praise for Steam sales from both Tripwire and Overkill, which is why I am a bit skeptical about Steam sales somehow being a net negative on the industry. Especially so if this information is being propagated by the same bloated publishers that bellyache over piracy and 'lost sales revenue' numbers they pull out of thin air, and other shit like '95% of PC gamers are pirates'.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
31-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Quote:Though the method of which steam is completely generating sales on lower than necessarily marked rates is disappointing.

[Image: OpoQQ.jpg]

Why shouldn't people hold out for sales? People do it with everything I'm failing to see why games should be any different. If people can hold off from buying your game than either a) you're doing a bad job of marketing it b) it's nothing new and exciting c) it looks like something people would wait till it's on special for...

If a gaming company goes tits up because people didn't buy their game because people were holding off for a sale than that company deserves to go tits up.

The only reason why The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are on special at such a crazy rate (85%) is because number 3 is coming out and you can pre-order it. It's marketing. People that wouldn't otherwise buy the franchise would be far more likely to buy it if it's $1.49 (which is $1.49 more than what they would get otherwise) and thus are likely to buy number 3 for $79.99 when it comes out when they otherwise wouldn't give it a second look.

Quote:So I'm not sure what the threat is. I don't game and I don't facepage.

Suck it, muffs.

Tongue

Than get the fuck out of my thread you lowly peasant. Angry

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
31-12-2014, 08:12 AM
I have no computer.

How is that for an excuse?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
31-12-2014, 08:20 AM
(31-12-2014 07:59 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  The only reason why The Witcher and The Witcher 2 are on special at such a crazy rate (85%) is because number 3 is coming out and you can pre-order it. It's marketing. People that wouldn't otherwise buy the franchise would be far more likely to buy it if it's $1.49 (which is $1.49 more than what they would get otherwise) and thus are likely to buy number 3 for $79.99 when it comes out when they otherwise wouldn't give it a second look.

Yup. Also digital stuff doesn't cost them hardly anything to allow people to download off Steam, so once the game is made *any* non-zero price they get for it is almost pure profit - sure there's a large upfront cost to development and if they can't meet that from sales they go bust, but after that it's laughing-all-the-way-to-the-bank time.

What steam does do which I imagine a lot of game publishers don't like, is it makes it simple and easy to buy games, it makes competition between game developers a lot more cutthroat because if your game costs 5 bucks and the other guy's costs 10 - guess which is gonna sell?

Best news is that it's good for the consumer (apart from when steam becomes an outright monopoly and screws both consumer and producer alike), because the squeeze is being put on those who develop games to cut prices rather than on consumers to fork out more.

If game dev guys couldn't make money from games they would be doing something else, so the fact that they *are*... Steam is great. Legal, simple, cheap way to get games. Those devs who don't like it can always refuse to participate Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
31-12-2014, 12:10 PM
My only complaint is that if I forget to go into offline mode before a flight, training in the boonies, anywhere without internet, then no steam games until I find a connection.

And then sometimes it randomly takes me off offline mode and requires a login. Quite inconvenient for those of us who frequently find ourselves off the grid, but still want to get in some game time Tongue

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
31-12-2014, 12:32 PM
(31-12-2014 12:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My only complaint is that if I forget to go into offline mode before a flight, training in the boonies, anywhere without internet, then no steam games until I find a connection.

And then sometimes it randomly takes me off offline mode and requires a login. Quite inconvenient for those of us who frequently find ourselves off the grid, but still want to get in some game time Tongue

Hit cancel it brings up an option to play in offline mode.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
31-12-2014, 12:36 PM
I didn't get the Microsoft RTS Collection some days ago and I'm a bit regretting it. T_T

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
31-12-2014, 01:07 PM
(31-12-2014 12:32 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(31-12-2014 12:10 PM)yakherder Wrote:  My only complaint is that if I forget to go into offline mode before a flight, training in the boonies, anywhere without internet, then no steam games until I find a connection.

Hit cancel it brings up an option to play in offline mode.

Usually. There have been times when it won't let me and says I need to log in to go into offline mode. I've learned that quitting improperly, like if I shutdown without logging off steam (online or offline) seems to make this happen.

Not usually an issue, just a pain in the ass when it is.

'Murican Canadian