No gods, No masters.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2016, 01:16 AM
No gods, No masters.
It is with great pride that I am celebrating 4 years of intellectual freedom. 4 years since objective reasoning tore down the walls put up by a fundamentalist upbringing. Walls made of fear and guilt, the true tenants of faith. And while I'm fighting my soon to be ex-spouse to get my kids vaccinated and in school, fighting my in-laws to get the pseudoscience out of the kids' lives and put proven medicine in, and even while working 2 jobs with no home and no working vehicle, I am happy. I am truly happy.
Why? Glad you asked.
It is simple really. Most of my life I was a slave to both a mythical sky wizard and to terrible guilt I mistook for righteous character. I feared reason, for it threatened to unravel my sacred creed. But I could only be let down and abandoned by my "god" so many times before the questions, doubts and bitter resentment got the better of me. My shackles were rusty and decayed, and needed only the slightest of tugs to break. But then I realized that even though the shackles were put upon me by others, only I held the power to keep them on.
I will save my kids from the pseudoscience, the failed homeschooling and all the fear and guilt that has been fed to them, and I will teach them the simple means by which I have found freedom: no matter where they come from, or who brings them before you, NEVER WEAR THE CHAINS.
I am happy because I am fearless and guilt free. With no gods and no masters.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like hopeful_heretic's post
14-01-2016, 10:53 PM
RE: No gods, No masters.
Welcome to reality, I'm hopeful for you also. Good luck with your family and the future.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
15-01-2016, 12:14 AM
That sounds very hopeful, heretic. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-01-2016, 01:09 AM
Welcome. Smile

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
15-01-2016, 03:36 AM
(14-01-2016 01:16 AM)hopeful_heretic Wrote:  It is with great pride that I am celebrating 4 years of intellectual freedom. 4 years since objective reasoning tore down the walls put up by a fundamentalist upbringing. Walls made of fear and guilt, the true tenants of faith. And while I'm fighting my soon to be ex-spouse to get my kids vaccinated and in school, fighting my in-laws to get the pseudoscience out of the kids' lives and put proven medicine in, and even while working 2 jobs with no home and no working vehicle, I am happy. I am truly happy.
Why? Glad you asked.
It is simple really. Most of my life I was a slave to both a mythical sky wizard and to terrible guilt I mistook for righteous character. I feared reason, for it threatened to unravel my sacred creed. But I could only be let down and abandoned by my "god" so many times before the questions, doubts and bitter resentment got the better of me. My shackles were rusty and decayed, and needed only the slightest of tugs to break. But then I realized that even though the shackles were put upon me by others, only I held the power to keep them on.
I will save my kids from the pseudoscience, the failed homeschooling and all the fear and guilt that has been fed to them, and I will teach them the simple means by which I have found freedom: no matter where they come from, or who brings them before you, NEVER WEAR THE CHAINS.
I am happy because I am fearless and guilt free. With no gods and no masters.

wonderful story. If I had more than a simple small extra room to offer, I would.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
15-01-2016, 05:49 PM
Excellent metaphor! Reminds me of Eastman telling Morgan that the cell was never locked. Eastman's goat figured it out easily enough.

#sigh