No husbands or wives in heaven

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-08-2013, 10:05 AM
RE: No husbands or wives in heaven
Well isn't this the strongest support for gay marriage there could be? All those good Xtian men will be married to Jesus.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
15-08-2013, 10:27 AM
My heaven will consist of the sharp shards of glass from all the shattered dreams of what christians want life to be, broken by the maul of reality.
And I will be the only one wearing boots

As an atheist, I'm not sure which image I like better.
Jesus screwing all the christian men in the ass or all the christian men screwing Jesus.

It's a toss up really

* flips a coin

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
15-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Be good and you go to the nice place.
Be bad and you go to the nasty place.

Its like something you would tell a 4 year old.

OP I would of asked her how she is so sure she is going to heaven and not hell.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
15-08-2013, 10:50 AM
(15-08-2013 09:56 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(15-08-2013 09:46 AM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  Matthew 22:23-30

23 That same day the Sadducees, who say there is no resurrection, came to him with a question. 24 “Teacher,” they said, “Moses told us that if a man dies without having children, his brother must marry the widow and raise up offspring for him. 25 Now there were seven brothers among us. The first one married and died, and since he had no children, he left his wife to his brother. 26 The same thing happened to the second and third brother, right on down to the seventh. 27 Finally, the woman died. 28 Now then, at the resurrection, whose wife will she be of the seven, since all of them were married to her?”

29 Jesus replied, “You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. 30 At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Now where's the part about being married to Christ? I'm pretty sure I do remember reading something that said something about the bride of Christ, however I could be mixing what I remember reading with what I constantly hear my coworker incessantly talking about.

Then If we can find one that talks about being married in heaven, that would be the trifecta. Although I do think she is correct that the bible doesn't ever say that people are still married in heaven, tough I don't recall for sure and am too lazy to look it all over right now. If anyone already knows off the top of your head, feel free to post it.

Revelations 21:9-14

9One of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues came and said to me, “Come, I will show you the bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. 11 It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal. 12 It had a great, high wall with twelve gates, and with twelve angels at the gates. On the gates were written the names of the twelve tribes of Israel. 13 There were three gates on the east, three on the north, three on the south and three on the west. 14 The wall of the city had twelve foundations, and on them were the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

There are other passages, but the bottom line is that the Church as a whole is considered to be the Bride of Christ. In fact, my seminary theology instructor stated that all of creation is part of God's plan to craft a bride for his Son (Jesus).
15-08-2013, 11:12 AM
(15-08-2013 10:50 AM)Atheist_pilgrim Wrote:  ...Revelations 21:9-14

...There are other passages, but the bottom line is that the Church as a whole is considered to be the Bride of Christ. In fact, my seminary theology instructor stated that all of creation is part of God's plan to craft a bride for his Son (Jesus).

Thanks, I was pretty sure it was in Revelations somewhere.

It's funny because not only is the Church the Bride of Christ, but the Church is also the Body of Christ (don't recall the verse and too lazy to look it up). Which means, Jesus can go fuck himself!

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
15-08-2013, 11:13 AM
(15-08-2013 10:37 AM)bemore Wrote:  ...OP I would of asked her how she is so sure she is going to heaven and not hell.

We’ve already had that conversation. It’s because she’s “saved”...obviously. Now move along, don’t ask any questions, don’t give it anymore thought, and ignore all that other stuff she does that Jesus doesn’t like…

15-08-2013, 11:17 AM
One thing jumped into my mind when reading this...Charles Manson.

He would have sex with all his family -- to assert his control over them, then allow them to have sex with each other...unless he decided not to.

They were, in effect married to him.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-08-2013, 11:22 AM
Christ is a necrophiliac pan-sexual polygamist adulterer. Got it. Better eat some of him, then. Rolleyes

I AM he who is called... cat furniture.
15-08-2013, 11:47 AM
For me it reminded me of some medieval lord who, by right, could sleep with any woman who was about to be married.

I think the people in christianity buy in so deeply to the idea of LORDS and peasants.
"Oh lord, you are so much wiser than I am. I am your servant and glad to be because you are so much better than me."

They seem to crave this kind of relationship. Placing one individual upon a pedestal so that he or she can rule over them.
"Rule me lord. Tell me what to do and how to live."

It's a Dom & Sub relationship

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
15-08-2013, 11:50 AM
By the way, I don't really care about the part where she said that no one will be married to their current wives or husbands in heaven. Doesn't matter to me, it's all fake anyway. The thing the bothers me the most is the logic of everyone being married to Christ. That doesn't even mean anything. It's like all the Catholic nuns saying they are married to Christ, or whatever it is they say. They're not really. It's a metaphor.

I do understand that it's like if you say, “I’m not married to the idea of going fishing this weekend”, you don’t mean that if you change your mind and go fishing that you are now literally married to “the abstract concept of fishing”. That doesn’t mean anything in a literal sense.

But what annoys me about her statement is that she thinks they will all literally be married to Jesus…literally. After all in the metaphor of the fisherman “not being married to the idea of going fishing this weekend”, if he changes his mind and goes, that does not mean he has to get a divorced from his wife first. It’s a metaphor, it’s not real, it illustrative. By saying that no one will still be married to their husbands and wives is saying that they are literally, not metaphorically, married to Jesus.

If you said it metaphorically I could understand that. It’s wrong, but I can understand that from an illustrative stand point. Literally married to Jesus is just meaningless. Even if he did exist it would still be meaningless if taken to be literal. Unless only one or a handful were married to him. Or if he had a large harem. But if you have billions of people literally married to Jesus, and Jesus cannot do any marriage like acts with you then are you married.

It's like if my coworker and I agreed that we are now married, but continued to live our lives no differently that had we not said that. She went on with her life, and I went on with mine. That doesn't mean anything. You have to do something marriage like to be married. You can't just say it's marriage and wash your hands of it. Wither it's filing papers, or not but living your life as though you are married, at somepoint you have to do something more than just claim to be married.

It's meaningless. It's a stupid thing to say. No, it’s dumb. Why don’t they see that it’s dumb?!