No longer a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2013, 11:23 PM
RE: No longer a Christian
(21-02-2013 05:16 PM)lizzielee Wrote:  You're very intelligent in realizing that Christianity doesn't make you have morals. Anyone is capable of doing wrong and right which is why I don't agree with Christians saying Atheists are bad people.
Unfortunately a-lot of Christians don't do what Jesus says. Jesus says to love and care for others. A kid may go to a bible study meeting in the morning at school and then later in the day make fun of a girl for wearing a tacky outfit or something.
I also don't like the idea some Christians have of the importance to get married. There are certain times in life where it's better to be single than to be with someone who doesn't treat you right. You learned in your experience just because you marry a Christian man doesn't make him a better person.
I had a similiar experience.I was dating a Christian guy this year when I was an official Christian this year, then we broke up over religous differences. I told him on facebook that my beliefs and his differ. He at first he accepted my beliefs and then kept sending me messages to make me feel bad like "He he I thought you were breaking up with me. Don't scare me like that."
So I had to unfriend and block him on facebook. He eventually gave up.
My advice in dealing with Christian family members would be to acknowledge you don't believe, but try to avoid talking about your beliefs. This is what I do to avoid conflict with my Christian parents.
My mom had trouble taking the news at first but later came to accept it.
I used to believe in Jesus too when I was younger, but then coming up this year Senior year I came to a point where I finally listened to what the back of my mind was trying to tell me, and learned I am better off being an Atheist.

So true about the importance that they put on marriage. Ugh. I am glad you parted ways with that guy. Yes, there are times in life when it is better to be single. In fact, people would be much better off if they actually waited until they loved someone for all the right reasons - relationships like that are rare.
I don't know if I could break it to the Christian parents anytime soon. Maybe one day... but not now.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-02-2013, 11:17 AM
(21-02-2013 07:08 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Well, there we have it. *Shudders* I will get used to this in time, I'm sure. It sucks hearing those Bible verses about blasphemy echoing in my mind, even though deep down I know they were written by people.
You don't need to worry about committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because if you are an atheist you can't commit this sin. If you read Matthew 12 you will find the context in which Jesus spoke of this sin. Jesus was healing people by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Pharisees accused him of doing his miracles by the power of Beelzebub. What they did was unpardonable because they had absolute proof of the truth and deliberately rejected it. You can't blaspheme the Spirit in this way if you don't even believe he exists.

God's invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made.
Romans 1:20 ESV

blog
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes theophilus's post
23-02-2013, 01:27 PM
(11-02-2013 09:26 PM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Thanks for sharing those. Very interesting.
Another weird thing. My last pastor told me that if I left the church and didn't make every effort to get right with God, I would eventually blaspheme the holy spirit. I was so upset and I angrily shook my head and said that would never happen. It is interesting how even he knew that I might not stay Christian after finally being freed.
I was raised a catholic, but I did used to attend youth group with some of my friends at a non-denom church. At one point, someone put their hands on me and spoke in tongues, having a second person there to translate for them. What they told me was that I had a great voice that would be used to spread the truth. I'm a screenwriter now, and the thing I hear the most is that I don't have a voice in my writing.

What I'm trying to say is, sometimes what people say is just bullshit. Obviously at least one of the people who told me about my voice is lying.
[+] 2 users Like sleepsoldier's post
24-02-2013, 01:55 PM
(23-02-2013 11:17 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If you read Matthew 12 you will find the context in which Jesus spoke of this sin. Jesus was healing people by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Pharisees accused him of doing his miracles by the power of Beelzebub. What they did was unpardonable because they had absolute proof of the truth and deliberately rejected it. You can't blaspheme the Spirit in this way if you don't even believe he exists.

I believe you are incorrect. The words of Jesus are "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin". That seems pretty clear-cut. Oh context context you say - but JC didn't say "if you're a dirty pharisee who believes in the Holy Spirit yet still blasphemes" - he said *anybody*.

At the very least he's guilty of second rate communication skills - poor form, O perfect son of God, poor form.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
24-02-2013, 11:46 PM
(23-02-2013 11:17 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(21-02-2013 07:08 AM)Flowergurl Wrote:  Well, there we have it. *Shudders* I will get used to this in time, I'm sure. It sucks hearing those Bible verses about blasphemy echoing in my mind, even though deep down I know they were written by people.
You don't need to worry about committing blasphemy against the Holy Spirit because if you are an atheist you can't commit this sin. If you read Matthew 12 you will find the context in which Jesus spoke of this sin. Jesus was healing people by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Pharisees accused him of doing his miracles by the power of Beelzebub. What they did was unpardonable because they had absolute proof of the truth and deliberately rejected it. You can't blaspheme the Spirit in this way if you don't even believe he exists.
Thanks for saying that! Yes, that is true. Often, my old Pastor would say that blaspheming the Holy Spirit would be if you no longer believed in Jesus or the Holy Spirit. But that's certainly a stretch on his part. Jesus never said that at all.
24-02-2013, 11:51 PM
(24-02-2013 01:55 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(23-02-2013 11:17 AM)theophilus Wrote:  If you read Matthew 12 you will find the context in which Jesus spoke of this sin. Jesus was healing people by the power of the Holy Spirit and the Pharisees accused him of doing his miracles by the power of Beelzebub. What they did was unpardonable because they had absolute proof of the truth and deliberately rejected it. You can't blaspheme the Spirit in this way if you don't even believe he exists.

I believe you are incorrect. The words of Jesus are "Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin". That seems pretty clear-cut. Oh context context you say - but JC didn't say "if you're a dirty pharisee who believes in the Holy Spirit yet still blasphemes" - he said *anybody*.

At the very least he's guilty of second rate communication skills - poor form, O perfect son of God, poor form.
In unbelief (Especially an unbelief that hopes for any sign that God exists) blasphemy? Oh well, what does it matter, right?
[+] 1 user Likes Flowergurl's post
25-02-2013, 12:01 AM
I believe depending on the vehemence with which you assert the non-existence of the said being some would classify it as blasphemy. e.g. "Your Holy Spirit is a load of hogwash, made-up bullshit same like your God" - basically as long as it's sufficiently offensive someone's gonna call it blasphemy.
25-02-2013, 12:05 AM
(25-02-2013 12:01 AM)morondog Wrote:  I believe depending on the vehemence with which you assert the non-existence of the said being some would classify it as blasphemy. e.g. "Your Holy Spirit is a load of hogwash, made-up bullshit same like your God" - basically as long as it's sufficiently offensive someone's gonna call it blasphemy.
True.
26-02-2013, 08:55 PM
So flowergurl, you say God is not the truth... then what is THE truth?
26-02-2013, 11:16 PM
(26-02-2013 08:55 PM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  So flowergurl, you say God is not the truth... then what is THE truth?
Christian with undercover username ? Consider

Why does there have to be a great big truth by which we live our lives, amigo ? Some great cause to which we dedicate ourselves ? The glorification of imaginary beings seems like a poor choice of life-cause.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post