No longer a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2013, 11:37 PM
No longer a Christian
Flowergurl, I once had a similar respect for Jesus. After hanging around here and reading quite a few threads and learning many details I'd never known before my image of Jesus collided with the same disillusionment as my former belief. I've now taken what I once thought were his unique and original teachings and managed to see them for what they truly are: a reflection of our humanity. That's good enough for me.

Your future may not be the same but only time will tell.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post
28-02-2013, 12:13 AM
RE: No longer a Christian
(26-02-2013 11:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 08:55 PM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  So flowergurl, you say God is not the truth... then what is THE truth?
Christian with undercover username ? Consider

Why does there have to be a great big truth by which we live our lives, amigo ? Some great cause to which we dedicate ourselves ? The glorification of imaginary beings seems like a poor choice of life-cause.

So you would rather live yor entire life a mystery because your too lazy to find an answer?
28-02-2013, 12:41 AM
(28-02-2013 12:13 AM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  
(26-02-2013 11:16 PM)morondog Wrote:  Christian with undercover username ? Consider

Why does there have to be a great big truth by which we live our lives, amigo ? Some great cause to which we dedicate ourselves ? The glorification of imaginary beings seems like a poor choice of life-cause.

So you would rather live yor entire life a mystery because your too lazy to find an answer?

No, saying 'god did it' or 'god is the answer' is the lazy cop out.

Be lucky that not all of your fellow homo sapiens have been happy with the easy answer, and have strived for true knowledge. Knowledge and understanding that has given us medicine and electricity, let alone the computer and the internet you're now using. Admitting that you don't know is the first step to achieving knowledge, knowledge that you'll never find because you erroneously believe you already have the most important answers (even when those answers actually lead to even more questions than they answer).

I'd challenge you to find one instance where a religious answer has replaced a scientific answer as being a more accurate description of our reality.

[Image: qce9oP7.gif]
28-02-2013, 01:35 AM
Oh so now your admitting that you have a truth that was important enough to look for... And dont religious groups well known for their charitable funds to the homeless, sick, hospitals, hungry, etc...
28-02-2013, 01:55 AM (This post was last modified: 28-02-2013 06:18 AM by EvolutionKills.)
(28-02-2013 01:35 AM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  Oh so now your admitting that you have a truth that was important enough to look for... And dont religious groups well known for their charitable funds to the homeless, sick, hospitals, hungry, etc...

Yes, truth is worth looking for. I've looked into religion, and have found far too much falsity there for the enterprise to be of little value. You can read the Bible and find the 'golden rule', and you can acknowledge that it appears to be a very important truth. Is it truth because Jesus said so and he's the Son of God? No, its not any more true from his authority than when parents in their authority tell their children that Santa Claus is real. Being written in the Gospels is not enough, and if you knew anything at all about the history of western monotheism, you'd understand why. If you want a crash course in ancient near east history, it can be provided to you.

Regardless, we can argue about the value or truth of the Ethic of Reciprocity (as the Golden Rule is known in ethics), without having to believe in the existence of a God or that Jesus was his Son.

[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
28-02-2013, 01:56 AM
And arent the atheistic groups usually promoting smoking habits, drug abuse, obsessive drinking, etc...? You know, things that cause bodily organs to fail
28-02-2013, 02:00 AM
(28-02-2013 01:56 AM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  And arent the atheistic groups usually promoting smoking habits, drug abuse, obsessive drinking, etc...? You know, things that cause bodily organs to fail

You are trying my patience with your ignorance.

Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of gods.

Where is the line of causation from 'lack of belief in gods' to 'any stance whatsoever on chemical use'. We certainly won't argue that smoking cannabis is a sin, or evil, or should be outlawed because God or the Bible says so. We can debate about the ethics and legality of substance use without 2000+ years of religious dogma muddying the waters.

Now did you actually have a relevant question, or are we done here?

[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-02-2013, 02:44 AM
No longer a Christian
(28-02-2013 01:56 AM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  And arent the atheistic groups usually promoting smoking habits, drug abuse, obsessive drinking, etc...? You know, things that cause bodily organs to fail

Where does this idea come from? Further, which specific "groups" are you referring to exactly?

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
28-02-2013, 02:55 AM
(28-02-2013 12:13 AM)blasphemilius_VI Wrote:  So you would rather live yor entire life a mystery because your too lazy to find an answer?

Rather than being happy with the answer you just found all preworked out for you in some book. That's true non-laziness right there Wink
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
28-02-2013, 04:50 AM
Uh, no!!