No meat before Noah?!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2014, 04:41 AM
RE: No meat before Noah?!
(08-08-2014 01:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Well, humans were vegetarian, before becoming omnivorous. It's a reason our intestines are so damn long.

Pandas however, are kind of fucked with their tiny intestines; all that bamboo just goes right through them. And they have to eat it for about 20 hours a day just to get the proper nourishment. chomp chomp chomp

Chimpanzees are not vegetarian so there is no reason to suppose humans ever were.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 06:08 AM
(06-08-2014 10:44 PM)john2 Wrote:  A few days ago my aunt - who works for the church, claimed that before Noah no one ate meat. Anyone else ever heard of this strange theory?

The whole point of that narrative is to help resolve the question about what the carnivores would eat on the ark. Of course, why you'd fixate on that problem of the flood myth is beyond me, but whatever.

The obvious problem with this is, like others have said, it doesn't quite fit what the Bible actually says.
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2014, 10:29 AM
(08-08-2014 04:41 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(08-08-2014 01:30 AM)kim Wrote:  Well, humans were vegetarian, before becoming omnivorous. It's a reason our intestines are so damn long.

Pandas however, are kind of fucked with their tiny intestines; all that bamboo just goes right through them. And they have to eat it for about 20 hours a day just to get the proper nourishment. chomp chomp chomp

Chimpanzees are not vegetarian so there is no reason to suppose humans ever were.

Well, we really can not be certain and it is still being studied... so, to clarify my perspective, I'll concead to.... the common hominid ancestors of modern human may have been primarily vegetarian ... and most likely opportunistic omnivores (stealing leftovers from big carnivores). Shy
I recently read biologist Rob Dunn's The Wild Life Of Our Bodies which examines how changes in human interactions with other species (including bacteria) affected our evolution. Research seems to suggest that protohuman diets fluctuated quite a bit and not just due to what humans could get and when but, also what was preferred at different times. It's very interesting and insightful and to me, very relevant to the ongoing issues humans seem to have with our bodies today.

Hey look - Rob Dunn has a blog thingy! This is a neat blurb about this very subject... it is informative and has cute pics of chimps and monkeys.

Honestly, any concrete verdict is still out and will probably be forever off the table. I don't see scientists running across the intact bodies of several groups of early hominids and examining the contents of their guts. It would be cool, but ... it's not gonna happen.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user