No more Doomsday predictions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 12:59 PM
No more Doomsday predictions?
Harold Camping died. RIP, Harry... you crazy old fool, you. RIP.

Story here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
17-12-2013, 01:10 PM
RE: No more Doomsday predictions?
(17-12-2013 12:59 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Harold Camping died. RIP, Harry... you crazy old fool, you. RIP.

Story here.

RIP? Roast In Perdition? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
17-12-2013, 01:12 PM
There will be more...so many sheep to fleece and so easy to do.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
17-12-2013, 01:27 PM
(17-12-2013 01:12 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  There will be are more...so many sheep to fleece and so easy to do.

Yup.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
17-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Oh Snap he died?

I read that in his last prediction, several people gave up their entire retirement savings to donate to billboards to spread the message about the repture. People's lives were ruined because of this guy, whether or not he had good intent. I'm not glad he died or anything, but I will say that ruining people's lives is a terrible thing to do.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
17-12-2013, 01:35 PM
(17-12-2013 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  Oh Snap he died?

I read that in his last prediction, several people gave up their entire retirement savings to donate to billboards to spread the message about the repture. People's lives were ruined because of this guy, whether or not he had good intent. I'm not glad he died or anything, but I will say that ruining people's lives is a terrible thing to do.

Pretty much how I feel.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
17-12-2013, 01:41 PM
As a side note, I believe one of Harold Camping's descendants (grandchild?) called into a TTA podcast in 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which one). He's an atheist Thumbsup.

[+] 4 users Like Adrianime's post
17-12-2013, 01:42 PM
(17-12-2013 01:31 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  ... billboards to spread the message about the repture.

Did I ever tell you guys about the apocalypse billboard up the road from me? Makes me laugh every time.

[Image: apoc.png]

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
17-12-2013, 01:50 PM
[Image: end-of-the-world-funny-quotes.png]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 6 users Like WitchSabrina's post
17-12-2013, 01:51 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 01:55 PM by Adrianime.)
cjlr, if you want a scare (and a little healthy boost of paranoia), just go to this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano
Wikipedia Wrote:A supervolcano is any volcano capable of producing a volcanic eruption with an ejecta volume greater than 1,000 km3 (240 cu mi). This is thousands of times larger than normal volcanic eruptions.[1] Supervolcanoes can occur when magma in the mantle rises into the crust from a hotspot but is unable to break through the crust. Pressure builds in a large and growing magma pool until the crust is unable to contain the pressure. They can also form at convergent plate boundaries (for example, Toba) and continental hotspot locations (for example, the Yellowstone Caldera).

Although there are only a handful of Quaternary supervolcanoes, supervolcanic eruptions typically cover huge areas with lava and volcanic ash and cause a long-lasting change to weather (such as the triggering of a small ice age) sufficient to threaten species with extinction.
The wikipedia page actually doesn't have the piece of info that I heard about this in the past...which is that we don't know when an eruption might happen, and if it does, it will change (or destroy) life as we know it on this planet (that's just something I heard though, I don't know how credible that info is).