No more Doomsday predictions?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2013, 01:56 PM
RE: No more Doomsday predictions?
(17-12-2013 01:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  cjlr, if you want a scare (and a little healthy boost of paranoia), just go to this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano
Quote:A supervolcano is any volcano capable of producing a volcanic eruption with an ejecta volume greater than 1,000 km3 (240 cu mi). This is thousands of times larger than normal volcanic eruptions.[1] Supervolcanoes can occur when magma in the mantle rises into the crust from a hotspot but is unable to break through the crust. Pressure builds in a large and growing magma pool until the crust is unable to contain the pressure. They can also form at convergent plate boundaries (for example, Toba) and continental hotspot locations (for example, the Yellowstone Caldera).

Although there are only a handful of Quaternary supervolcanoes, supervolcanic eruptions typically cover huge areas with lava and volcanic ash and cause a long-lasting change to weather (such as the triggering of a small ice age) sufficient to threaten species with extinction.

The wikipedia page actually doesn't have the piece of info that I heard about this in the past...which is that we don't know when an eruption might happen, and if it does, it will change (or destroy) life as we know it on this planet (that's just something I heard though, I don't know how credible that info is).

Yeah, but that's a real thing Tongue. And thus a very different animal...

There are all kinds of unlikely-but-possible things that could be catastrophic - we have plenty of geological and fossil evidence of previous rounds!

But really, few natural events can match the environmental havoc good ol' human beings have wrought. It's not external factors we need to worry about.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2013, 02:00 PM
(17-12-2013 01:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  As a side note, I believe one of Harold Camping's descendants (grandchild?) called into a TTA podcast in 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which one). He's an atheist Thumbsup.

Actually, I think it was one of Fred Phelps' grandkids, IIRC. I can't remember... which reminds me... I need to catch up on the podcasts... I'm like 40 behind.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
17-12-2013, 02:05 PM
(17-12-2013 01:56 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 01:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  cjlr, if you want a scare (and a little healthy boost of paranoia), just go to this page.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano

The wikipedia page actually doesn't have the piece of info that I heard about this in the past...which is that we don't know when an eruption might happen, and if it does, it will change (or destroy) life as we know it on this planet (that's just something I heard though, I don't know how credible that info is).

Yeah, but that's a real thing Tongue. And thus a very different animal...

There are all kinds of unlikely-but-possible things that could be catastrophic - we have plenty of geological and fossil evidence of previous rounds!

But really, few natural events can match the environmental havoc good ol' human beings have wrought. It's not external factors we need to worry about.

Yabut, Yellowstone erupting is not unlikely. In fact, it is very likely - eventually.

It's only unlikely to do so tomorrow. And less unlikely next month. And somewhat less unlikely next year. And so on.

But you knew that.Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-12-2013, 02:06 PM
My husband said its my fault.

A couple days ago I was looking up Peter O'toole on Wikipedia and the next day he died.
Now, on the 14th I was looking up Camping. I thought I was in the clear until I realized he died on the 15th!

I'm the kiss of death. Justin Beiber better watch out...he's next. Evil_monster

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-12-2013, 02:11 PM
(17-12-2013 02:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My husband said its my fault.

A couple days ago I was looking up Peter O'toole on Wikipedia and the next day he died.
Now, on the 14th I was looking up Camping. I thought I was in the clear until I realized he died on the 15th!

I'm the kiss of death. Justin Beiber better watch out...he's next. Evil_monster

Could I make you a Wikipedia list?

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
17-12-2013, 02:31 PM
(17-12-2013 01:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  The wikipedia page actually doesn't have the piece of info that I heard about this in the past...which is that we don't know when an eruption might happen, and if it does, it will change (or destroy) life as we know it on this planet (that's just something I heard though, I don't know how credible that info is).

Was that from an Anime? Smile

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
17-12-2013, 02:49 PM
(17-12-2013 02:31 PM)djkamilo Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 01:51 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  The wikipedia page actually doesn't have the piece of info that I heard about this in the past...which is that we don't know when an eruption might happen, and if it does, it will change (or destroy) life as we know it on this planet (that's just something I heard though, I don't know how credible that info is).

Was that from an Anime? Smile
haha, no it was part of some documentary. It mentioned Yellowstone as Chas did.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
17-12-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 17-12-2013 02:58 PM by Adrianime.)
Double post..this damned tablet. Weeping

17-12-2013, 02:57 PM
(17-12-2013 02:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 01:41 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  As a side note, I believe one of Harold Camping's descendants (grandchild?) called into a TTA podcast in 2011 or 2012 (can't remember which one). He's an atheist Thumbsup.
Actually, I think it was one of Fred Phelps' grandkids, IIRC. I can't remember... which reminds me... I need to catch up on the podcasts... I'm like 40 behind.
I'm not certain, but I believe both happened. Definitely in the westboro baptist church episode was a relative, but I believe a teenager also called in who was related to Camping....much earlier than the westboro episode.

17-12-2013, 03:11 PM
(17-12-2013 02:57 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(17-12-2013 02:00 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Actually, I think it was one of Fred Phelps' grandkids, IIRC. I can't remember... which reminds me... I need to catch up on the podcasts... I'm like 40 behind.
I'm not certain, but I believe both happened. Definitely in the westboro baptist church episode was a relative, but I believe a teenager also called in who was related to Camping....much earlier than the westboro episode.

It was Fred's son on the podcast. I dont think I've heard of Harold Camping's grandson being on TTA.

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor