No need for a god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 09:43 AM
No need for a god.
I just want to put this out there:

At one time gods were needed to explain the world. Why does the sun go away and then come back? Apollo drives it across the sky. Unseen, unprovable, almighty beings. We've phased them out as science has explained phenomena. The main reason modern theists still cling to their one god of choice is that they have not yet been able to conquer fear of death and the chaotic nature of the Universe. Once you embrace that, you have no need of a god.

Heinrich Heine put it best when he said "In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides."

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 7 users Like hilary's post
13-08-2015, 09:58 AM
RE: No need for a god.
God is still needed to justify procreation.
Find all posts by this user
13-08-2015, 10:09 AM
(13-08-2015 09:58 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  God is still needed to justify procreation.

Either youre a troll, or youre an idiot.

or maybe both.

I am absolutely certain that I do not know, but it might be possible to find out. - Christopher Hitchens

Follow Me!
[+] 14 users Like hilary's post
13-08-2015, 10:28 AM
Maybe. But how will you explain to your children who potentially have not yet been able to conquer fear of death that YOU imposed death on them?
13-08-2015, 10:40 AM
(13-08-2015 09:43 AM)hilary Wrote:  I just want to put this out there:

At one time gods were needed to explain the world. Why does the sun go away and then come back? Apollo drives it across the sky. Unseen, unprovable, almighty beings. We've phased them out as science has explained phenomena. The main reason modern theists still cling to their one god of choice is that they have not yet been able to conquer fear of death and the chaotic nature of the Universe. Once you embrace that, you have no need of a god.

It may have been the case but it was shitty explanation as it did nothing to really explain nature of said phenomenons.

As for main reason I think it is indoctrination rather than fear. I think that wihtout brainwashing people could overcome fear of death especially considering that religion could be cause of this fear, i.e. hell.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
13-08-2015, 10:44 AM
(13-08-2015 10:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:43 AM)hilary Wrote:  I just want to put this out there:

It may have been the case but it was shitty explanation as it did nothing to really explain nature of said phenomenons.

As for main reason I think it is indoctrination rather than fear. I think that wihtout brainwashing people could overcome fear of death especially considering that religion could be cause of this fear, i.e. hell.

I agree actually. But that still should be no excuse to not be able to break free from religion.

Follow Me!
13-08-2015, 10:47 AM
(13-08-2015 10:44 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It may have been the case but it was shitty explanation as it did nothing to really explain nature of said phenomenons.

I agree actually. But that still should be no excuse to not be able to break free from religion.

Breaking the spell isn't easy, church had much time to hone it's skill in telling bullshit that people are willing to believe in. Also consider poverty, religion best friend.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
13-08-2015, 10:55 AM
(13-08-2015 10:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:44 AM)hilary Wrote:  I agree actually. But that still should be no excuse to not be able to break free from religion.

Breaking the spell isn't easy, church had much time to hone it's skill in telling bullshit that people are willing to believe in. Also consider poverty, religion best friend.

ahh very true. Also ignorance.

Follow Me!
13-08-2015, 10:57 AM
I also think that religion persists because some people prefer to be told what to think, than to think for themselves.
[+] 5 users Like Iñigo's post
13-08-2015, 11:04 AM
(13-08-2015 10:28 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  Maybe. But how will you explain to your children who potentially have not yet been able to conquer fear of death that YOU imposed death on them?

Please post a picture of yourself that we can forward.

I contacted Webster's dictionary - and they've agreed that your picture would make a wonderful addition to their next publication, next to the word "Putz".

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post