No need for a god.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-08-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 13-08-2015 11:54 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: No need for a god.
I have pondered this very thing....and have come to the conclusion there are several obvious reasons for why an otherwise intelligent human being would believe such preposterous, fabricated bullshit...

1) Systemic brainwashing by family/community culture....usually prevalent in smaller god fearing communities. Since they grew up with god glasses on, and all of the authority figures in their life repeat the dogma as if it is real...it becomes ingrained. Sometimes this can be undone when the person breaks free of the intra-faith-familial situation and goes off to the real world to attend college....and upon being exposed to other perspectives, higher learning, and an ever increasing secular world, they learn to stop believing in santa claus.

2) Elderly...it was their generation. The good news is religion is literally aging itself out of existence. New generations don't drink the Kool-Aid, see no benefit to embracing it, and have access to the internet where a plethora of countering evidence is available for all who wish to partake. Also, as one gets older, one begins to realize their time here is coming to an inevitable close......and fear, the engine of religion, takes over their reason and logic, and they use it as a crutch to try to convince themselves that life here is just a journey to decide who deserves heaven...

3) Sick, same as above in regards to impending death.

4) Gullible, it takes a pliable person to think that a super genie created at LEAST over 400+ billion planets (that is how many the hubble telescope can see) until he got at LEAST one juuuust right, then grabbed a handful of dirt, blew into it and created man! It really doesnt matter which flavor of delusion they embrace, all creation stories are equally ludicrous.

5) Ignorant, this is usually the area Young Earth Creationists, or also called Literalists, or fundamentalists fall into...all are bat shit crazy to think that every word in the bible is literal fact, when it is child's play to disprove this.

Just my thoughts Smartass

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
13-08-2015, 12:33 PM
(13-08-2015 10:09 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:58 AM)dimaniac Wrote:  God is still needed to justify procreation.

Either youre a troll, or youre an idiot.

or maybe both.

In one. Thumbsup

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-08-2015, 04:03 PM
(13-08-2015 10:44 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  It may have been the case but it was shitty explanation as it did nothing to really explain nature of said phenomenons.

As for main reason I think it is indoctrination rather than fear. I think that wihtout brainwashing people could overcome fear of death especially considering that religion could be cause of this fear, i.e. hell.

I agree actually. But that still should be no excuse to not be able to break free from religion.

Fuck. YOU ARE DUMB!!!!!! WeepingFacepalmHobo

The stupidity in this one is so fucking monumental!!! HOLY SHIT!!!!

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
13-08-2015, 04:47 PM
quote "8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life." "

Actually - no.

Some scribe with a lively imagination wrote that a fictional "God" named Horus said such a thing.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
13-08-2015, 05:37 PM
(13-08-2015 09:43 AM)hilary Wrote:  I just want to put this out there:

At one time gods were needed to explain the world. Why does the sun go away and then come back? Apollo drives it across the sky. Unseen, unprovable, almighty beings. We've phased them out as science has explained phenomena. The main reason modern theists still cling to their one god of choice is that they have not yet been able to conquer fear of death and the chaotic nature of the Universe. Once you embrace that, you have no need of a god.

Heinrich Heine put it best when he said "In dark ages people are best guided by religion, as in a pitch-black night a blind man is the best guide; he knows the roads and paths better than a man who can see. When daylight comes, however, it is foolish to use blind, old men as guides."
I'm sorry but that just isn't true of all theists.
13-08-2015, 05:38 PM
(13-08-2015 10:40 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 09:43 AM)hilary Wrote:  I just want to put this out there:

At one time gods were needed to explain the world. Why does the sun go away and then come back? Apollo drives it across the sky. Unseen, unprovable, almighty beings. We've phased them out as science has explained phenomena. The main reason modern theists still cling to their one god of choice is that they have not yet been able to conquer fear of death and the chaotic nature of the Universe. Once you embrace that, you have no need of a god.

It may have been the case but it was shitty explanation as it did nothing to really explain nature of said phenomenons.

As for main reason I think it is indoctrination rather than fear. I think that wihtout brainwashing people could overcome fear of death especially considering that religion could be cause of this fear, i.e. hell.
It is the fear of non existence that many have. Including atheists.
13-08-2015, 05:40 PM
(13-08-2015 10:55 AM)hilary Wrote:  
(13-08-2015 10:47 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Breaking the spell isn't easy, church had much time to hone it's skill in telling bullshit that people are willing to believe in. Also consider poverty, religion best friend.

ahh very true. Also ignorance.
Just because most religion has been manipulated doesn't mean that true Faith is without grounds. The hypocrisy and manipulation of religion is a shame. A personal connection with God alleviates these issues.
13-08-2015, 05:41 PM
(13-08-2015 11:37 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  I have pondered this very thing....and have come to the conclusion there are several obvious reasons for why an otherwise intelligent human being would believe such preposterous, fabricated bullshit...

1) Systemic brainwashing by family/community culture....usually prevalent in smaller god fearing communities. Since they grew up with god glasses on, and all of the authority figures in their life repeat the dogma as if it is real...it becomes ingrained. Sometimes this can be undone when the person breaks free of the intra-faith-familial situation and goes off to the real world to attend college....and upon being exposed to other perspectives, higher learning, and an ever increasing secular world, they learn to stop believing in santa claus.

2) Elderly...it was their generation. The good news is religion is literally aging itself out of existence. New generations don't drink the Kool-Aid, see no benefit to embracing it, and have access to the internet where a plethora of countering evidence is available for all who wish to partake. Also, as one gets older, one begins to realize their time here is coming to an inevitable close......and fear, the engine of religion, takes over their reason and logic, and they use it as a crutch to try to convince themselves that life here is just a journey to decide who deserves heaven...

3) Sick, same as above in regards to impending death.

4) Gullible, it takes a pliable person to think that a super genie created at LEAST over 400+ billion planets (that is how many the hubble telescope can see) until he got at LEAST one juuuust right, then grabbed a handful of dirt, blew into it and created man! It really doesnt matter which flavor of delusion they embrace, all creation stories are equally ludicrous.

5) Ignorant, this is usually the area Young Earth Creationists, or also called Literalists, or fundamentalists fall into...all are bat shit crazy to think that every word in the bible is literal fact, when it is child's play to disprove this.

Just my thoughts Smartass
I am none of those. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 05:48 PM
(13-08-2015 04:47 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  quote "8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life." "

Actually - no.

Some scribe with a lively imagination wrote that a fictional "God" named Horus said such a thing.
Ancient Egyptians had a firm grasp on technology, and perhaps worshipped an accidental race of near giants that were pretty much wiped out during an extinction event. I conclude that their grasp on technology and other things may have been taught by the Amalek(giants). That word may be wrong. These beings where never meant to be, and according to the book of Enoch were the cause of much ancient grief. Thanks.
13-08-2015, 06:35 PM
(13-08-2015 05:48 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Ancient Egyptians had a firm grasp on technology, and perhaps worshipped an accidental race of near giants that were pretty much wiped out during an extinction event. I conclude that their grasp on technology and other things may have been taught by the Amalek(giants). That word may be wrong. These beings where never meant to be, and according to the book of Enoch were the cause of much ancient grief. Thanks.

Nephilim? You know that's crazy talk, right?

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post