No other gods before me

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2015, 07:46 AM
RE: No other gods before me
How can there be other gods if he's the only one????

Or....

more accurately ---

He's the most real fictional being in town......

IF the fucker was real - which he isn't --- he'd say "There ARE no other gods"....

That's a definitive statement.

"Thou shalt have no other gods before me." - is just the whiny, whimpering drivel that comes out of the mouth of a second-rate storyteller....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-12-2015, 08:00 AM
(26-12-2015 07:33 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  
(25-12-2015 09:46 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The Bible says God means no other gods besides Him. If you worship other gods, according to the bible, that is considered idolatry.

What if I wanted to choose God as the "other" God? Then I wouldn't be able to serve him. God said "gods" well God is among the other gods. Am I right? I'm just confusing myself even more lol. But it's only a hypothetical question. There are hundreds of gods and God is among those hundreds. What if I chose him as the other hundreds of gods?

I think I get what you're saying, if you convert from another religion you would have another god chronologically before him. That's a fairly technical reading of that verse. Laugh out load

I think the bible is only referring to having only one god you worship though.

Though if you worship 3 gods, but YHWH gets worshiped the most, then I suppose you are technically not violating that commandment.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
26-12-2015, 08:15 AM
(26-12-2015 08:00 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Though if you worship 3 gods, but YHWH gets worshiped the most, then I suppose you are technically not violating that commandment.

Ya gotta love a loophole, don't ya???

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
26-12-2015, 08:20 AM
(25-12-2015 09:46 PM)jennybee Wrote:  The Bible says God means no other gods besides Him. If you worship other gods, according to the bible, that is considered idolatry.

But at the same time He claims to be the one and only God he is jealous of other Gods! Seemed strange to me when I first heard it at about 7 years old. "I am the only God there is, so do not leave me and follow other Gods! They do not exist!" SHould read they do not exist either!
26-12-2015, 09:38 AM
(26-12-2015 07:46 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  "Thou shalt have no other gods before me." - is just the whiny, whimpering drivel that comes out of the mouth of a second-rate storyteller....

Nothing in Christianity is original. The pre-Christian God Mithras called the Son of God and the Light of the World, was born on December 25, died, was buried in a rock tomb, and then resurrected in three days. December 25 is also the birthday or Osiris, Adonis, and Dionysus. The newborn Krishna was presented with gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Even Christianity's weekly holy day was stolen from the pagans. So we can see why they are a bit sensitive about other God's. In a way, what they're trying to say is, "yes we know they were here before ours, but this, well, this is the real deal, don't you dare worship the others".

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like izel's post
26-12-2015, 09:52 AM
(26-12-2015 08:20 AM)DerFish Wrote:  

But at the same time He claims to be the one and only God he is jealous of other Gods! Seemed strange to me when I first heard it at about 7 years old. "I am the only God there is, so do not leave me and follow other Gods! They do not exist!" SHould read they do not exist either!

There are a few places in the Bible--1 Corinthians 10 for example--where it references other gods as being a manmade creation. The issue is that people are praying to idols--man made gods--and not to God Himself because He is the one who created everything. Anyway, that is why God gets pissy because there are no other gods, only him--and people are giving his credit to man made creations.

In the OT, there are references to Let us etc., so it appears God is talking to other gods. Like Bucky mentioned, this is from the pantheon when Jews were polytheistic. Of course, apologists will explain that way and say God was talking to his angels. Facepalm Angels are technically just other gods or divine creations in a pantheon.
26-12-2015, 10:31 AM
No other gods before me
Do you think I was just overly tired and confused myself?
26-12-2015, 10:53 AM
(26-12-2015 10:31 AM)musicharmony87 Wrote:  Do you think I was just overly tired and confused myself?

No you were admitting to the confusion which is Christianity
26-12-2015, 11:05 AM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2015 11:12 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(26-12-2015 09:52 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(26-12-2015 08:20 AM)DerFish Wrote:  But at the same time He claims to be the one and only God he is jealous of other Gods! Seemed strange to me when I first heard it at about 7 years old. "I am the only God there is, so do not leave me and follow other Gods! They do not exist!" SHould read they do not exist either!

There are a few places in the Bible--1 Corinthians 10 for example--where it references other gods as being a manmade creation. The issue is that people are praying to idols--man made gods--and not to God Himself because He is the one who created everything. Anyway, that is why God gets pissy because there are no other gods, only him--and people are giving his credit to man made creations.

In the OT, there are references to Let us etc., so it appears God is talking to other gods. Like Bucky mentioned, this is from the pantheon when Jews were polytheistic. Of course, apologists will explain that way and say God was talking to his angels. Facepalm Angels are technically just other gods or divine creations in a pantheon.

The "Heavenly Host" were beings that inhabited the same place as Yahweh. The nature of angels evolved from a "power sent forth" (to do things) to actual personalities, (see Pagels "The Origins of Satan"). Interesting that dead shades, (the Hebrew concept of "soul") did not *go* to the place where the divine beings resided (heaven), but in Sheol ... all dead shades, good and bad. There are a couple of interesting insights into all this in the OT, besides the ones mentioned. When the Witch of Endor conjures the shade of Samuel for a disguised Saul, (which was forbidden) in Samuel 28: 9-15, Saul (as he is no *medium*) is unable to see what she conjures, and asks what she sees. Correctly translated, she says she sees "a divine being, coming up out of the earth". So we know "divinity" was a broader concept than just pertaining to one god. Secondly, Psalm 82, ''God stands in the divine assembly", and one more : (the chief of the Babylonian Council of gods was El Elyon), Yahweh was his 70th son. There is an oblique reference to that older system in Deuteronomy 32:7-8 (KJV) " Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee. When the most High divided to the nations their inheritance, when he separated the sons of Adam, he set the bounds of the people according to the number of the children of Israel. For the LORD’s portion is his people; Jacob is the lot of his inheritance.” ie El Elyon (the most high god) gave Israel to Yahweh, (actually they *picked* the war deity for themselves, as they wanted help in their battles for land expansion, and that was the original "covenant"). "You help us win our battles, we will worship only you". Not much has changed in 3000 years.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
26-12-2015, 11:56 AM
The Hodge Podge of different religions in the area would also create that commandment as a threat. Your eater with us or against up. It gave the followers "justified" reason to carry out their acts of brutality. Don't follow our God then you get the pointy end of the sword.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post