No radio, No TV - a ramble

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2016, 06:10 PM
No radio, No TV - a ramble
So the last time I watched TV (outside a waiting room) was about 6 years ago.
The last time I listened to the radio (outside a taxi or public place) was even longer ago.

So usually, I don't know what is the newest thing when it comes to music.
The fun thing, I don't think I have missed out since my teenage years and even back then I was always behind because I just never really liked the pop music stuff.

I was listening to Mannfred Mann's Earthband and Credence Clearwater while playing Age of Empires (the first one). That was around 2000 / 2001.
Always loved a lot of the hippie music, worker songs is what I grew up with because my mom is a hippie. Always liked me some rock music, old school, long guitar solos, people who knew music and wrote their own stuff.

Nowadays, I swear, everything sounds the same to me. Pop music is written by the formulas. Not too many words, easy chorus. Same format most of the time. You know the 4-chord-song by Axis of Awesome. Pretty much that principle.

Anyway, so sometimes, a song gets to my ears and I find it catchy and sing it for a while and at some point a person reveals to me that this is so last summer or whatever. I'm like who the fuck cares. This song is catchy and I like it right now. For example "Shut up and dance with me" or whatever the song is called. It has the same stupid formula but it has something else to it too. It builds at least a little bit. Sure we are not going out of our way with the quality of the song right there, but it has something to it.

But sometimes I still find something that is made by people who know music. For example System of a Down. At first I just felt like it's only noise. But the more I listened to it properly, the more skill I found in it. I still don't listen much but the songs are actually pretty damn good might I say.
Or every heard of Vienna Teng? Very talented young lady with a piano and a great voice.

It's interesting to look from the outside so to say. I am always months behind when it comes to trends - any trends.
I still enjoy the same songs that I loved when I was 15.
I cannot be the only one, whos mucisal preference dates back to 10 years before they were born.

Anyway done

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
17-12-2016, 06:44 PM
RE: No radio, No TV - a ramble
I've found that to find good rock being made nowadays, going to gigs is the trick. Very few high-profile releases are worth the storage space. Full disclosure: I still buy CDs, mostly 20+ years after release.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
17-12-2016, 07:01 PM
I've been buying CDs at garage sales..... I pay about a buck per - on average... 95 percent of them play perfectly.

They all get copied onto my laptop -- which is hooked up to the stereo.....

Fuck the "latest and greatest" -- gimme the "cheapest and sluttiest"....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-12-2016, 07:42 PM
I use my iPod in the car, and don't watch TV at home, except for when passing through the family room and the rest of the family brings something to my attention. Same for my laptop- it is synchronized with my iPod. I've never played a video game except some on an Atari 2600. I know absolute dick about anime or hip-hop, or rap "music", beyond some shit I may have heard during a video on youtube. I principally listen to music from the '60s and '70s, with a lot of blues from the likes of John Mayall, Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, etc., that are more recent. I'm not stuck in the Classic Rock so much as it is what I like. I have a spread from AC/DC to ZZ Top, judiciously tailored to my taste. Not everything makes the cut. Some albums I buy for only a couple of songs, and the rest get deleted. I have tons of CDs, many of which were purchased used.

For the most part, TV is shit, as is radio. IMHonestO.
17-12-2016, 08:27 PM
(17-12-2016 07:01 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I've been buying CDs at garage sales..... I pay about a buck per - on average... 95 percent of them play perfectly.

They all get copied onto my laptop -- which is hooked up to the stereo.....

Fuck the "latest and greatest" -- gimme the "cheapest and sluttiest"....

Big Grin

I prowl pawn shops and thrift stores ... yeah, a buck apiece is about avg. Last best find: Soundgarden's Ultramega OK, for a buck-fifty. Worth the extra four bits.
18-12-2016, 02:42 PM
Despite being just 25, almost all of the music I listen to was written/recorded years, if not decades before I was born. There are some exceptions, but nothing I'd consider "modern" music. I like my blues, my classic rock, and bits and pieces of all sorts of other genres.

I just finished a temp job in ASDA (Wal-Mart in the UK) and had to spend 10 hours a day listening to "ASDA FM Live!" being pumped through the Tannoy... All just typical formulaic pop drivel. Sometimes they sound so similar I can't tell where one song ends and the next begins. It's a good feeling to come home and stick Jethro Tull on.

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2016, 02:44 PM
I am finding it tough to get hold of some CDs these days. Things that were easy to find just a few years ago seem to be going out of production...

Sent from my B3-A20 using Tapatalk

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2016, 06:07 PM
I haven't had a CD player in years haha.
I think the last time I had one, was a portable one. I remember walking to work with it, trying to walk smooth so the CD wouldn't jump Big Grin

But you know Sam, if you want specific songs you can always download from youtube.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
23-12-2016, 04:56 PM
I watch the TV programs I like on the internet.
No commercials, ever.
Haven't watched regular TV in about 10 years.
I use to only listen to one R&B station on the radio.
Haven't turned in on in 5-7 years.

I get all my music from YouTube these days.
I put all my music on my phone and play it through my car stereo.

Everything is what I want to see or hear when I want to see or hear it.

My selections can play hip hop, r&b, metal, classical, alternative and old school in random order.
If I talk to someone new online, I'll ask what they listen to and see if I like it.

Sometimes TV series will have some background song that is really good. I try to find it and see if I like the whole song.

The X-Factor, Americas got talent and some other singing show has showcased some great unknown singers.

I think the idea of someone else selecting what I hear is just annoying to me. (Radio DJ)

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results