No religion

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
18-04-2010, 08:01 AM

Question No religion
What do you think would happen if religion was to completely vanish from the face of earth? Yeah I know it's impossible, but just what if? Do you think there would be peace - or chaos?
[Image: ImagineNoReligionMedium.jpg?width=640&am...height=600]
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 09:42 AM

RE: No religion
Well there would be one less reason to fight about, and one less form for governments to control uneducated masses. People would base their desicions on reality rather than fantasy and wishful thinking.

Maybe even start taking care of their planet, since its all we have and all our future generations will have.
18-04-2010, 11:10 AM

(18-04-2010 08:01 AM)AquaMarine Wrote:  What do you think would happen if religion was to completely vanish from the face of earth? Yeah I know it's impossible, but just what if? Do you think there would be peace - or chaos?
[Image: ImagineNoReligionMedium.jpg?width=640&am...height=600]

With every religion that gets thrown into history's paper shredder, the prospects for humanity to unite as a single species in peaceful pursuits that would benefit all humankind would doubtless increase accordingly.
18-04-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't actually see there being much of a difference between a religious Earth and a nonreligious one. Call me cynical, but we've been fighting amongst ourselves for millenia, and eliminating one of those dividing lines does nothing to get rid of the others.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2010, 11:47 AM

(18-04-2010 11:39 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  I don't actually see there being much of a difference between a religious Earth and a nonreligious one. Call me cynical, but we've been fighting amongst ourselves for millenia, and eliminating one of those dividing lines does nothing to get rid of the others.

Hello Unbeliever,

A good point.

However, while it is certainly true that there are plenty of other reasons for people to continue killing one another (control of resources, invasions, political differences, etc.), it is certainly undeniable that the absence of religiously-motivated conflict and religion-stoked worldwide Balkanization, would take an enormous bite out of the total sum of conflicts. Not to mention making it far easier to pursue diplomatic and peaceful solutions to conflicts, absent the absolutist certainty ('God is on our side') that is the hallmark of religiously-inspired conflict.
18-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Oh, yes, I didn't mean to say that there wouldn't be any effect. But there wouldn't be as much of one as some people want to believe. It wouldn't magically fix everything. It'd be a step in the right direction, but it wouldn't be the end of the journey.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
18-04-2010, 12:15 PM

(18-04-2010 11:51 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  Oh, yes, I didn't mean to say that there wouldn't be any effect. But there wouldn't be as much of one as some people want to believe. It wouldn't magically fix everything. It'd be a step in the right direction, but it wouldn't be the end of the journey.

It's all good, I knew what you meant.Smile
18-04-2010, 02:15 PM

(18-04-2010 11:10 AM)panflutejedi Wrote:  With every religion that gets thrown into history's paper shredder, the prospects for humanity to unite as a single species in peaceful pursuits that would benefit all humankind would doubtless increase accordingly.

Sheesh I had to read this like a hundred times to get it -.-' ... I hate it when you guys use such big words - I'm not that smart damn it - makes my head hurt Tongue
18-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I have to side with Unbeliever, it wouldn't solve too many problems. Sure, it's one less reason to fight, but it will be replaced by some other reason why a select group of people has to be exterminated.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
18-04-2010, 02:22 PM

Getting the poor uneducated masses riled up would not be so easy.