No religion? So you are a _______?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 05:20 AM
No religion? So you are a _______?
Let me make it a bit clearer. My dad was a free mason. He was Protestant. He grew up tho in a catholic household and when he was 15 he converted to Protestant. The free masons were a Protestant organization of actual masons. They originated as a masonry guild that evolved into a religious/political secret society. Their symbols can readily be seen in our country as is Washington DC. If you look at an aerial view you can see a mason symbol made from the layout. Our founding fathers were mostly masons including George Washington.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 08:30 AM
RE: No religion? So you are a _______?
This may have been address already but I am too lazy to go through all the posts to see.

First off, let me say that I was a Master Mason of the Blue Lodge (Free Masons). The original founding of the masons goes back centuries and was based simply upon the fact that a trained stone mason was very valuable and the tools and "secrets" of the trade were kept very close by the mason. Masons were allowed to travel freely between countries even during times of conflict and their services were employed regardless of what country they came from, etc. Later on the Free Masons became a secret society that held secret meetings mostly in regards to issues against the King of England. Many of the American founding fathers were Free Masons.

Now, the Free Masons are a fraternity that one has to be invited into (you can solicit for membership). One important part of being a Mason is that you must profess belief in a deity, non-specific. This is why I am no longer in the Masons, I couldn't do it anymore.

The "rituals" of the Free Masons go back and center mostly on the story of King Solomon and the building of the temple.

There is no world domination agenda, there is no ties to the Illuminati. Masons are required to assist other Masons when they have identified themselves as a Mason through certain signs, symbols, etc.

So when someone says that a person is a Mason because they have no belief they are being ignorant. The two do not go together at all.
[+] 1 user Likes Wolftyr72's post
15-01-2013, 01:18 PM (This post was last modified: 15-01-2013 01:23 PM by Vosur.)
(14-01-2013 08:30 AM)Wolftyr72 Wrote:  One important part of being a Mason is that you must profess belief in a deity, non-specific. This is why I am no longer in the Masons, I couldn't do it anymore.
It is indeed a popular requirement, no disagreement there, but there are exceptions to it. In Germany, for example, there are a couple of Freemason lodges that do not enforce this rule; one of them being located in the city Kassel (which is about ~30 miles away from my town). I considered joining them a while back, but I'm still hesitating because of the whole being a member for a lifetime thing.

That's something I'm curious about: How did you manage to leave your Freemason lodge and how did its members react?

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
30-01-2013, 07:24 PM
The Catholic Church dissaproves of Free Masonry (what don't they dissaprove of?).

This site has ALL the Catholic teachings and will make your head spin. Anyway below are instances when Papal pronouncements were issued against FM.

If you want to read more go to http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/09771a.htm

The action of the Church is summed up in the papal pronouncements against Freemasonry since 1738, the most important of which are:
  • Clement XII, Constitution "In Eminenti", 28 April, 1738;
  • Benedict XIV, "Providas", 18 May, 1751;
  • Pius VII, "Ecclesiam", 13 September, 1821;
  • Leo XII, "Quo graviora", 13 March, 1825;
  • Pius VIII, Encyclical "Traditi", 21 May, 1829;
  • Gregory XVI, "Mirari", 15 August, 1832;
  • Pius IX, Encyclical "Qui pluribus", 9 November, 1846;
  • Pius IX, Allocution "Quibus quantisque malis", 20 April, 1849;
  • Pius IX, Encyclical "Quanta cura", 8 December, 1864;
  • Pius IX, Allocution "Multiplices inter", 25 September, 1865;
  • Pius IX, Constitution "Apostolicæ Sedis", 12 October, 1869;
  • Pius IX, Encyclical "Etsi multa", 21 November, 1873;
  • Leo XIII, Encyclical "Humanum genus", 20 April, 1884;
  • Leo XIII, "Præclara", 20 June, 1894;
  • Leo XIII, "Annum ingressi", 18 March, 1902 (against Italian Freemasonry);
  • Leo XIII, Encyclical "Etsí nos", 15 February, 1882;
  • Leo XIII, "Ab Apostolici", 15 October, 1890.

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
01-02-2013, 12:22 PM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2013 12:26 PM by Generation Why?.)
(04-01-2013 02:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many free masons are associated somehow with atheism because they're more or less deists. And many people connect them with Catholics because of the so-called secret rituals...

It's all really whackadoo...

So Catholics are atheists, too? All these damn religions, why can't I just go to hell in peace!? Undecided

[Image: bmHWg.gif]
01-02-2013, 01:55 PM
I rather like Saspian, which stands for secular and spiritual ponderer.
No need for gods, masters, gurus, priests......just be your own person
changing as seen necessary midst the flux of life.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
01-02-2013, 02:03 PM
I am a gnostic atheist.

Which means I claim to know that god doesn't exist, in the sense that it is the perfect, maximally supreme being. Even a deist god who seeks to create something is by definition imperfect and therefor not god under that definition.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
01-02-2013, 02:08 PM
(01-02-2013 02:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I am a gnostic atheist.

Which means I claim to know that god doesn't exist, in the sense that it is the perfect, maximally supreme being. Even a deist god who seeks to create something is by definition imperfect and therefor not god under that definition.

I am a gnostic atheist when it comes to all man made religions. I am agnostic when it comes to the existence of any higher power, including a perfect one, although I do feel that the chances one exists is extremely small.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

01-02-2013, 02:13 PM
(01-02-2013 02:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I am a gnostic atheist.

I see universal perfect supremacy as an oxymoron.
An ever evolving improving force could fit well
with evolutionary theory.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
01-02-2013, 02:14 PM
(01-02-2013 12:22 PM)Generation Why? Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 02:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many free masons are associated somehow with atheism because they're more or less deists. And many people connect them with Catholics because of the so-called secret rituals...

It's all really whackadoo...

So Catholics are atheists, too? All these damn religions, why can't I just go to hell in peace!? Undecided

Technically, they are atheists. Regarding; Allah, Odin, Thor, Vulcan, Hermes, Gaia, Zeus, Hera, Amaterasu, Athena, etc, etc, etc.

Proper atheists like us just lack an extra god... (or three in this case? I never really understood what those Cath's are on about there.)

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Why a lack of religion is by nature more moral Shameless 11 343 17-06-2014 03:04 PM
Last Post: pablo
  Religion and culture WillHopp 15 426 07-02-2014 11:03 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  [FACEBOOK] Science and Religion Can Coexist? (LONG) KMFDM_Kid2000 7 577 28-12-2013 05:20 AM
Last Post: Chippy
  A fun "religion" from another forum Cake 15 593 14-09-2013 08:26 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  "Religion gives you better morals" SpaceMonkey 14 574 03-09-2013 11:10 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Need help - Religion and Crime sticks128 3 496 11-07-2013 05:09 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  On religion and science asking the question ‘why do I exist?’ mitchelljames87 6 590 22-05-2013 08:54 AM
Last Post: bbeljefe