No religion? So you are a _______?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2013, 02:13 AM
No religion? So you are a _______?
Nah, not what you think. Wink Lemme reconstruct a convo with a dude from the Philippines a while ago:

Dude: "Are you catholic?"
Me: "No."
Dude: "Why not?"
Me: "Because I don't believe in god."
Dude: "You don't?? That means you are a FREE MASON?
Me: .oO( WTF?! ) "No, I'm an atheist..."

And this type of convo happened a few times, how the hell do they come up with that free masons shit? Ok, don't laugh at me now, but until then I even didn't really know who or what those masons really were (apart from conspiracy nuts mentioning it). After I looked it up I couldn't find any link between between not being a catholic and being one of those mason folks. Can someone enlighten me please?
Angel

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like pxlgirl's post
04-01-2013, 02:39 AM
RE: No religion? So you are a _______?
They only know about us what they have been spoon fed since birth. They Pull almost anything out of their ass until you school them on the meaning of atheist.
Find all posts by this user
04-01-2013, 02:46 AM
Many free masons are associated somehow with atheism because they're more or less deists. And many people connect them with Catholics because of the so-called secret rituals...

It's all really whackadoo...

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-01-2013, 02:47 AM
So they've been spoon fed with the whole free masons thingy or what? I expected they could have guessed a few more religions, like jew, hindu, buddhist or whatever, but the mason one was by far the weirdest thing I ever heard. Big Grin

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
04-01-2013, 02:52 AM
(04-01-2013 02:46 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Many free masons are associated somehow with atheism because they're more or less deists. And many people connect them with Catholics because of the so-called secret rituals...

It's all really whackadoo...

They are connected to the catholics? Wait, I always thought they are a part of those illuminati dudes and that new world order... Rolleyes So the catholics are a part of them too? OMG we're fucked! Evil_monster

[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
04-01-2013, 10:39 AM
There is a strong connection between freemasonry and Mormons. Joseph Smith tried on several occasions as a young man to get invited into the Freemasons and was rejected, so when he invented Mormonism he included as much Freemason crap as he knew about (they have always been very secretive so his info was limited to what outsiders could scrape up). Mormons have temple rituals that are almost word for word identical to Freemason rituals, and Mormon underwear is covered in Freemason symbols.

Poor guy couldn't get in the club so he went and made up his own club but didn't have the sense to actually make it his own so he ended up parroting the stuff from the "good" club that rejected him.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 7 users Like Aseptic Skeptic's post
04-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Wow - that's cool - I didn't know that Joseph Smith didn't make the Mason cut. Loser. Tongue

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
04-01-2013, 10:54 AM
(04-01-2013 10:44 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that's cool - I didn't know that Joseph Smith didn't make the Mason cut. Loser. Tongue

Yeah, I can just imagine how bad those Masons feel now. They rejected a true prophet. I bet they're wailing and gnashing their teeth. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
04-01-2013, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2013 11:05 AM by cheapthrillseaker.)
(04-01-2013 02:13 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Nah, not what you think. Wink Lemme reconstruct a convo with a dude from the Philippines a while ago:

Dude: "Are you catholic?"
Me: "No."
Dude: "Why not?"
Me: "Because I don't believe in god."
Dude: "You don't?? That means you are a FREE MASON?
Me: .oO( WTF?! ) "No, I'm an atheist..."

And this type of convo happened a few times, how the hell do they come up with that free masons shit? Ok, don't laugh at me now, but until then I even didn't really know who or what those masons really were (apart from conspiracy nuts mentioning it). After I looked it up I couldn't find any link between between not being a catholic and being one of those mason folks. Can someone enlighten me please?
Angel
So here's the answer to your WTF reaction.

Click here!

As a further up, this is just one more example of how the Church slandered the Freemason 'name(?)'.

"You're not Catholic? Hmmm... what's the worst thing I've heard said about those who aren't... Just want to make sure they're not of THAT crowd."

Oh, that and you have to believe in a deity (you can be a satanist, as long as it involves the belief in a higher power) in order to join. Oh, that and have a penis.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
04-01-2013, 11:50 AM
pxl,

Education levels in the bigger Philippine islands are pretty good (that's why they are picking up loads of call centre / help desk work) but of course the Catholic Church (the dominant religion) doesn't like that.

It is actually official Church policy to keep the work force under-educated, fight against women's rights to their own reproduction control and to keep wages down. This is so that the populace has to migrate to earn good money and thus ensure that the religion spreads to other countries.

You might have been talking to someone from the poorer regions.

The word 'atheism' is not widely used anywhere in SE Asia. 'Free Thinker' is a much more common term and your friend might simply have been confused.

Incidentally, I was chatting with an Indonesian muslim and they have been taught that 9/11 was carried out by the Free Masons.

Read into that what you will.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Rainbow Why a lack of religion is by nature more moral Shameless 11 306 17-06-2014 03:04 PM
Last Post: pablo628
  Religion and culture WillHopp 15 403 07-02-2014 11:03 PM
Last Post: WillHopp
  [FACEBOOK] Science and Religion Can Coexist? (LONG) KMFDM_Kid2000 7 538 28-12-2013 05:20 AM
Last Post: Chippy
  A fun "religion" from another forum Cake 15 574 14-09-2013 08:26 PM
Last Post: Jeffasaurus
  "Religion gives you better morals" SpaceMonkey 14 557 03-09-2013 11:10 PM
Last Post: EvolutionKills
  Need help - Religion and Crime sticks128 3 476 11-07-2013 05:09 AM
Last Post: Revenant77x
  On religion and science asking the question ‘why do I exist?’ mitchelljames87 6 572 22-05-2013 08:54 AM
Last Post: bbeljefe