No religion? So you are a _______?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2013, 08:51 PM
RE: No religion? So you are a _______?
Funny thing is that there were people on a mission to save me when I moved to the American deep south because I am a product of Catholic schools. After puzzling over this I asked a minister what the deal was. He informed me there was a revivalist preacher that came through a couple times a year that had people believing that Catholics are the next closest thing to Satanists...OY!

Course I have Catholics back home praying for me and lighting candles because I fell away from the faith.

Atheist, Satanist...doesn't matter...what matters is that you belong to the same group as the person who wants to know your affiliation. Ignorance of other faiths (or non-faith) tends to be a strong trait among the faithful.

And I didn't fall away from the Catholic Church...they never really got their hooks into me, eventually I ran away.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
05-01-2013, 08:57 PM
(05-01-2013 08:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Atheist, Satanist...doesn't matter...what matters is that you belong to the same group as the person who wants to know your affiliation.
Spot on. You ain't wit' 'em, yer again' 'em! At least today, in most places, apostasy won't get you killed. Much.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
06-01-2013, 12:50 PM
It seems, according to the catholic nuts, you can only worship satan if you don't worship their god, so it doesn't really matter. Tongue

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-01-2013, 12:56 PM
No it doesn't get you killed here in the south, but it does get you eyed with suspicion and pity and can have consequences on the job and in personal life. People view you as said above, as the devil or his minion no matter if you live a better moral life than they do. So you get this look and ppl asking why you're angry, strident, etc., even if you're not. Of course you get angry being treated like this. You are left out of some things, expected to look the other way when ppl pray over meals even in professional settings, and where I live, an openly atheistic person can't get elected dog catcher. You can forget politics. In some places it could cost you promotions. It has not cost me promotions thus far because I'm not open about it and generally we aren't supposed to discuss this stuff at work anyhow. But they can still pray over lunch with impunity. Wonder what would happen if I objected when lunching or dining with consultants and coworkers? Though law is on my side, I'm sure I'd suffer consequences.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
07-01-2013, 12:30 AM
Hmm, maybe a quick "whoops, gotta run" will help to skip the lunch prayer? Although it might stand out taking a dump at exact the same time. Wink

"Some part of our being knows this is where we came from. We long to return, and we can, because the cosmos is also within us. We're made of star stuff. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." (Carl Sagan)
[+] 1 user Likes pxlgirl's post
07-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Great idea, then maybe they'll notice the prayer/crap connection!

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
12-01-2013, 12:49 AM
Haha, not if you say "oops, gotta pray" instead of " oops gotta run!" and shit on it... literally. Big Grin

12-01-2013, 01:01 AM (This post was last modified: 12-01-2013 01:06 AM by Free Thought.)
(04-01-2013 02:13 AM)pxlgirl Wrote:  Nah, not what you think. Wink Lemme reconstruct a convo with a dude from the Philippines a while ago:

Dude: "Are you catholic?"
Me: "No."
Dude: "Why not?"
Me: "Because I don't believe in god."
Dude: "You don't?? That means you are a FREE MASON?
Me: .oO( WTF?! ) "No, I'm an atheist..."

And this type of convo happened a few times, how the hell do they come up with that free masons shit? Ok, don't laugh at me now, but until then I even didn't really know who or what those masons really were (apart from conspiracy nuts mentioning it). After I looked it up I couldn't find any link between between not being a catholic and being one of those mason folks. Can someone enlighten me please?
Angel

Indoctrination, miseducation and misdirection. That is how they can get to those lines of thought:
They are indoctrinated and taught incorrect "facts", and their attention is directed elsewhere when they question. Eventually these factors come together to form the final key: Misperception. The people/person in question will begin to misperceive the world and it's facts in a distorted way, creating their delusion.

(05-01-2013 07:03 PM)namiloveyou Wrote:  stupid people should be culled lol..

If you intend to follow through with that, you can start with yourself.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-01-2013, 10:05 PM
As for worshiping satan, I think it's also that some people honestly believe that EVERYONE has to worship SOMETHING, and if it's not god, it must be the devil. I've talked to some who were really confused when I said I don't worship or pray to anything, as if that's not even an option.

That, and some theists are convinced anyone with different beleifs or no beliefs is that way because of the devil, even if the person claims otherwise. The problem is that some religious folks will bend reality every which way to fit their preconceived notions, which may not include atheism.
(05-01-2013 08:57 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(05-01-2013 08:51 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Atheist, Satanist...doesn't matter...what matters is that you belong to the same group as the person who wants to know your affiliation.
Spot on. You ain't wit' 'em, yer again' 'em! At least today, in most places, apostasy won't get you killed. Much.
Precisely this. I've met many religious people who divide humanity into two groups: (1)Whatever their affiliation is, and (2)everybody else, who is obviously wrong, evil, and of the devil.
14-01-2013, 05:14 AM
No religion? So you are a _______?
Free Masons are predominately Protestants.