No religion? So you are a _______?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-02-2013, 03:22 PM
RE: No religion? So you are a _______?
(01-02-2013 02:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Technically, they are atheists. Regarding; Allah, Odin, Thor, Vulcan, Hermes, Gaia, Zeus, Hera, Amaterasu, Athena, etc, etc, etc.

Well, not quite. If they are deists their god could be named any of the above or any name at all...like Fred. Maybe they pray to Fred?

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2013, 03:40 PM
(01-02-2013 03:22 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 02:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Technically, they are atheists. Regarding; Allah, Odin, Thor, Vulcan, Hermes, Gaia, Zeus, Hera, Amaterasu, Athena, etc, etc, etc.

Well, not quite. If they are deists their god could be named any of the above or any name at all...like Fred. Maybe they pray to Fred?

That could be the case. Consider

Only Fred I've ever known that was (essentially) prayed to was some dipshit on YouTube.

But hell, we're still one god ahead of them.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
Hm, funny... I was saying to someone just yesterday that a non-existant god is more real than a fictitious god. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
01-02-2013, 04:28 PM
(01-02-2013 03:57 PM)kim Wrote:  Hm, funny... I was saying to someone just yesterday that a non-existant god is more real than a fictitious god. Drinking Beverage
I sort of see 'non existence' as relevant to our accrued degree of learning and understanding.

Beyond that, who knows? Smile W aka Old Froggy
01-02-2013, 04:43 PM
(01-02-2013 02:08 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 02:03 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  I am a gnostic atheist.

Which means I claim to know that god doesn't exist, in the sense that it is the perfect, maximally supreme being. Even a deist god who seeks to create something is by definition imperfect and therefor not god under that definition.

I am a gnostic atheist when it comes to all man made religions. I am agnostic when it comes to the existence of any higher power, including a perfect one, although I do feel that the chances one exists is extremely small.
The idea of a perfect higher power would essentially not need to do anything other than exist, to be consistent with the idea of perfection.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
01-02-2013, 04:46 PM
(01-02-2013 04:43 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(01-02-2013 02:08 PM)Aspchizo Wrote:  I am a gnostic atheist when it comes to all man made religions. I am agnostic when it comes to the existence of any higher power, including a perfect one, although I do feel that the chances one exists is extremely small.
The idea of a perfect higher power would essentially not need to do anything other than exist, to be consistent with the idea of perfection.
Do you mean the best possible ethical ideas as thought by the human mind?
01-02-2013, 06:33 PM
(04-01-2013 10:44 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that's cool - I didn't know that Joseph Smith didn't make the Mason cut. Loser. Tongue

He was quite the psychotic lying loser. If you read the history, turns out he actually "dated", (and screwed), right in front of her face, (who TOTALLY disapproved BTW), his wife's best friends, which is why he "approved" of polygamy. WHO would do that ? He had NO education, AT ALL. He said he was "translating" *hieroglyphs*, when in fact he was making up shit, (The Lost Book of Abraham). The crap he cooked up, is utterly breathtaking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE It is amazing that ANYONE still buys into that bullshit. I think he was killed, trying to escape from jail, where he was in custody for fraud. Golden tablets, indeed. Rivals the "resurrection" of Jebus, in incredulity.

Oh, "no beligion, so you're a ------ ?"
humanoid

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

05-02-2013, 03:32 AM
(01-02-2013 06:33 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(04-01-2013 10:44 AM)kim Wrote:  Wow - that's cool - I didn't know that Joseph Smith didn't make the Mason cut. Loser. Tongue

He was quite the psychotic lying loser. If you read the history, turns out he actually "dated", (and screwed), right in front of her face, (who TOTALLY disapproved BTW), his wife's best friends, which is why he "approved" of polygamy. WHO would do that ? He had NO education, AT ALL. He said he was "translating" *hieroglyphs*, when in fact he was making up shit, (The Lost Book of Abraham). The crap he cooked up, is utterly breathtaking. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcyzkd_m6KE It is amazing that ANYONE still buys into that bullshit. I think he was killed, trying to escape from jail, where he was in custody for fraud. Golden tablets, indeed. Rivals the "resurrection" of Jebus, in incredulity.

Oh, "no beligion, so you're a ------ ?"
humanoid

If you prefer a more tongue-in-cheek break down of Mormonism, here is David Fitzgerald presenting the Heretic's Guide to Mormonism...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
17-08-2013, 09:50 PM
What exactly is a Free Mason?
17-08-2013, 09:55 PM
(17-08-2013 09:50 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  What exactly is a Free Mason?

Google and Wikipedia are your friends. Freemasonry.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user